Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old May 6th 2016, 1:15 am
Just Joined

dr_25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Hello, I re-sent my CSQ on Case Specific Enquiry (because they couldn't open the attachment) and they sent my an email back saying my enquiry has been received and "The turnaround time for a response is of 10 business days."

Wow the first time i sent my CSQ they said that they respond to all enquiries within 28 days!
Old May 6th 2016, 9:07 am
Mon Dieu!

Kingbsy has a brilliant futureKingbsy has a brilliant futureKingbsy has a brilliant futureKingbsy has a brilliant futureKingbsy has a brilliant futureKingbsy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dr_25
Hello, I re-sent my CSQ on Case Specific Enquiry (because they couldn't open the attachment) and they sent my an email back saying my enquiry has been received and "The turnaround time for a response is of 10 business days."

Wow the first time i sent my CSQ they said that they respond to all enquiries within 28 days!
People believe that because some applicants are saying that applications are remaining in Islamabad, that the strain on LVO has softened. But this is just conjecture until CIC say something about this happening.

Re: Your CSQ, just be aware they still might request that you send it in an email, as I think that when I had submitted through a Case-specific enquiry I wasn't able to include all that I need to. But its great that they came back and said something about it!
Old May 6th 2016, 12:30 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

LHaywood and Scott_Chegg both updated! Congrats!

Originally Posted by Kingbsy
People believe that because some applicants are saying that applications are remaining in Islamabad, that the strain on LVO has softened. But this is just conjecture until CIC say something about this happening.
It's just based on anecdotal evidence right now, if you go to CanadaVisa and look at the Pakistan/Islamabad thread, a load of the more recent applicants have had their applications stay in Islamabad instead of being forwarded to London, as has been the case for the past 2ish years.

However, CIC's site still lists London as the processing office for Pakistani family sponsorship applications, though that might be legacy as opposed to new, but we'll see if (when?) that updates.

Visa office in London, United Kingdom
Old May 8th 2016, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Prosecco is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Update for the spreadsheet:

Our Feb 18 submission was returned in its entirety in mid-March! The Generic Application Form (IMM 0008) we printed had printed numbers for some of the answers, which we thought was how CIC wanted it to appear (for example, where do you intend to live - province 06, city 3812, etc.) Anyway, long story short, we resubmitted with this corrected on March 21 and received notification that the sponsorship had been approved on April 29 and the file forwarded to London for processing of the applicant portion.
Old May 8th 2016, 12:38 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Boo, that's annoying that a glitch caused that! Updated on the spreadsheet, glad it's finally under way!
Old May 9th 2016, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Odd_Bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

My wife's application to sponsor has been approved, and my application is "In Process" on ECAS, but my wife's application is also now listed as "In Process". I haven't checked for a while, so I don't know how long this has been the case. Is this normal?

Also, for the spreadsheet, I first noticed that I was "In Process" on March 24th.

Dan
Old May 9th 2016, 6:50 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Odd_Bloke
Hello all,

My wife's application to sponsor has been approved, and my application is "In Process" on ECAS, but my wife's application is also now listed as "In Process". I haven't checked for a while, so I don't know how long this has been the case. Is this normal?

Also, for the spreadsheet, I first noticed that I was "In Process" on March 24th.

Dan
I wouldn't read into your wife's going to in process since she's the sponsor... it's yuor part now to watch more closely. Glad you're seeing a bit of movement!
Old May 9th 2016, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Crayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys, got AOR1 on 06/05/2016, can log in and see my application in process, exciting

Does it mean that it was all fine and nothing missing, that they won't return it now? I keep getting worried they would as maybe I missed something lol

my question is, applied in my maiden name as haven’t changed passport till submitted app, now I have new one, When should I send it updated and how? should I do it now, ASAP or wait when it will be after SA?

oh and also when I log in our address is correct but doesn’t say UK or England, hope that is ok?

Last edited by Crayon; May 9th 2016 at 9:49 pm.
Old May 10th 2016, 8:10 am
Just Joined

danbsword is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Folks,
My wife is my sponsor from within Canada and I am in the UK. I have never received any communication regarding my application from CIC. IS this normal?
I have been under the assumption that all commmunication was through the sponsor. The upshot of this is that I haven't checked the application myself online, until now...

We received your application for permanent residence on December 7, 2015.
We started processing your application on February 10, 2016.
Medical results have been received.

I feel a bit of an idiot for not having questioned this before, particularly as I have been slowly becoming more worried as to why my application wasn't "In Process" when all around were moving along!

Anyway... if you could please update the spreadsheet.

cheers
Old May 10th 2016, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Aethelwulf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Originally Posted by Aethelwulf
Hi everyone,

First time on the forum so forgive me if this is an obvious question or poorly phrased. My wife is Canadian and I'm British. Right now we're currently both in the US as students (graduating this summer).

My wife has a job offer up in Canada in Fredericton starting July 1st and we're beginning to make plans for permanent residency applications. The FAQ and guides here are super-useful and we're well on our way to collecting all the details we need.

The original plan was to submit the application in the next few weeks. Hopefully we'd have then got sponsorship approval by July 1st and I could enter Canada under dual intent. The only problem is that since I've lived in the US for the last six years, I need to get my police record here in the States from the FBI. This takes 3-4 months apparently! So everything's on hold...

All this means is that we'd likely only end up submitting the application for sponsorship either just before or just after my wife's job starts on July 1st.

If we'd submitted an outland application before arriving in Canada (by car, crossing the Maine-New Brunswick border), could I enter Canada under dual intent? From the FAQ and wiki, it looks like the dual intent category primarily applies to people who are a little further along and have already been approved for sponsorship. Or would it be simplest just to enter as a visitor? Either way, I'd make sure that, before crossing the border, I have a plane ticket back to the UK booked within the next six months.

If we submit the application after relocating to Canada, presumably the thing to do would be to just enter as a visitor with a ticket back to the UK within the next six months?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Welcome!

So, you have two options, as I see it.

1) You can submit the application earlier without the US police certificate, and include a note saying that you will forward it when you receive it. This MIGHT work... you risk having your application sent back for being incomplete, but others have done it with other countries and it's worked. So it's a gamble.

2) You can still enter under dual intent after you submit even if you don't have sponsor approval yet. We usually suggest waiting until after sponsor approval because then you have more evidence, but it's not strictly necessary. You can include other proof that you've filed your application, like keep a receipt from your medicals, keep your proof that your application has been delivered, that sort of thing. You'll probably not have any issues entering that way, just have lots of evidence.

Good luck!
Many thanks to SchnookoLoly for her helpful replies on my questions from a few weeks back. The forum, wiki, and FAQ are really invaluable for navigating what's a complicated procedure.

Since we'll likely be applying from within Canada at this point (the police report from the FBI we're waiting on will arrive only a week or so before we move to Canada), we're trying to work out whether inland or outland will be better. We're fully aware of the restrictions on travel and long processing times with the inland application but I'm a little nervous about what I could and couldn't do in Canada while waiting as a "visitor."

It seems like I probably wouldn't be able to open a personal bank account but what about getting a joint account with my wife or exchanging my UK driving license for a Canadian driver's license? The driver's license is especially important as my wife doesn't drive (yet). In the long, we'd like to buy somewhere within the next couple of years too so there's mortgages, credit to consider especially.

While waiting for PR, I'd like to do some volunteering (partly as a way to acquire new skills since I'll be changing career once I can work as well as getting involved with the local community in Fredericton). Is this allowed as a visitor or would it be seen as "work". I ask partly because I found this page on the CIC website about restrictions on foreign students volunteering and interning (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/i...-volunteer.asp). Any advice based on forum members' own experiences of what they could/couldn't do while waiting in Canada while their outland application is in progress would be very helpful.

The renewal of the Open Work Permit scheme for inland applications makes it worth considering in my eyes. Presumably with an Open Work Permit, I'd then be able to open a bank account, transfer my license etc. The long processing time does give me pause but so does worrying about restrictions upon what I could do as a "visitor" in Canada.

I hope this makes sense, I'm happy to provide further details if needed. Thank you so much for your answers on this!
Old May 10th 2016, 5:01 pm
Just Joined

adamhighway has a reputation beyond reputeadamhighway has a reputation beyond reputeadamhighway has a reputation beyond reputeadamhighway has a reputation beyond reputeadamhighway has a reputation beyond reputeadamhighway has a reputation beyond reputeadamhighway has a reputation beyond reputeadamhighway has a reputation beyond reputeadamhighway has a reputation beyond reputeadamhighway has a reputation beyond reputeadamhighway has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, just a quick update - I received AOR of application to sponsor my partner in Sunday, receipt was 15/4/16. Have checked today in ECAS as they say they update it Tuesdays and still not showing - anyone have insight as to how on the ball those updates are?

Thanks!
Old May 10th 2016, 6:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks to SchnookoLoly for her helpful replies on my questions from a few weeks back. The forum, wiki, and FAQ are really invaluable for navigating what's a complicated procedure.

Since we'll likely be applying from within Canada at this point (the police report from the FBI we're waiting on will arrive only a week or so before we move to Canada), we're trying to work out whether inland or outland will be better. We're fully aware of the restrictions on travel and long processing times with the inland application but I'm a little nervous about what I could and couldn't do in Canada while waiting as a "visitor."
It seems like I probably wouldn't be able to open a personal bank account but what about getting a joint account with my wife or exchanging my UK driving license for a Canadian driver's license? The driver's license is especially important as my wife doesn't drive (yet). In the long, we'd like to buy somewhere within the next couple of years too so there's mortgages, credit to consider especially.
You can open a bank account as a visitor although it may be easier if your wife introduces you.

If you apply 'Outland' you would be processed and have PR within about 10 months, so able to get a mortgage then. Look into "newcomer to Canada" mortgages - no proof of credit rating required, although having copies of utility bills (paid, no arrears); letter from your UK bank / mortgage holder / landlord stating you are in good standing (no arrears) and Canada bank when you have an account will help. You could also obtain an Equifax report from the UK, although some banks aren't keen to use them. I would strongly suggest using a mortgage broker when you reach that point as they will be able to offer you alternatives to the 'big banks' with less restrictive requirements.

When you arrive at the Port of Entry (POE) i.e. Airport, request a Visitor Record, rather than the generic stamp in your passport. This will enable you to obtain a drivers license.

While waiting for PR, I'd like to do some volunteering (partly as a way to acquire new skills since I'll be changing career once I can work as well as getting involved with the local community in Fredericton). Is this allowed as a visitor or would it be seen as "work". I ask partly because I found this page on the CIC website about restrictions on foreign students volunteering and interning (Studying in Canada: Volunteer Work Conducted by Foreign Students). Any advice based on forum members' own experiences of what they could/couldn't do while waiting in Canada while their outland application is in progress would be very helpful.
You can only volunteer if it's doing something that does not take the place of a paid position that a Canadian Citizen or PR could do. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...work/about.asp You can also work 'remotely' for an overseas company, provided that there is no Canadian company involved.

The renewal of the Open Work Permit scheme for inland applications makes it worth considering in my eyes. Presumably with an Open Work Permit, I'd then be able to open a bank account, transfer my license etc. The long processing time does give me pause but so does worrying about restrictions upon what I could do as a "visitor" in Canada.

I hope this makes sense, I'm happy to provide further details if needed. Thank you so much for your answers on this!
Whilst the OWP scheme has been renewed this year, there are no guarantees that it will be again. I wouldn't bank on being able to renew the work permit!

Hope that helps a little - I'm sure others will be along to offer more advice!

Old May 10th 2016, 8:57 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by adamhighway
Hi, just a quick update - I received AOR of application to sponsor my partner in Sunday, receipt was 15/4/16. Have checked today in ECAS as they say they update it Tuesdays and still not showing - anyone have insight as to how on the ball those updates are?

Thanks!
Updated! The Tuesday thing is a myth, they update all the time... if they do update. It's highly unlikely you will be able to log in before SA, though, very few people have been able to. I wouldn't worry about it not updating, though, just sit tight!

To Aethelwulf --

Siouxie pretty much covered it, I don't have much more to add. The only thing I will add is about volunteering. You able able to volunteer n roles that would be filled by volunteers anyway, like volunteering at a soup kitchen, delivering food for Meals on Wheels, being a Big Brother/Big Sister, that sort of thing. Those roles would normally be done by volunteers and not paid work.

So working at a soup kitchen is fine; walking into an office building and 'volunteering' to be their receptionist is NOT fine, as that position would normally be a paid position.

Make sense?

Hope that helps!
Old May 11th 2016, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Aethelwulf is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the answers. Very helpful!

I saw that the Open Work Permit scheme was extended until December 2016 - does that mean that any permits issued under the scheme only give authorisation to work until that date?

Last edited by Aethelwulf; May 11th 2016 at 2:21 pm.
Old May 11th 2016, 3:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the answers. Very helpful!

I saw that the Open Work Permit scheme was extended until December 2016 - does that mean that any permits issued under the scheme only give authorisation to work until that date?
From the blurb on CIC website it would appear they were originally only valid to December 22nd, but I don't know this for a fact.
If you were provided with a work permit under the initial pilot, you must apply for a work permit extension before it expires
Notice – Update on work permits for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence from within Canada
Program delivery update - December 22, 2014

Hopefully someone will come along who has got one and tell us!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.