Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Dec 23rd 2012, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

michty6 is on a distinguished road
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by LHaywood1
Looking for some advice...

Currently in Canada on 1st IEC visa, I will be applying for a second year when it opens. Working at a law firm and living with boyfriends parents since arrival (8 weeks). I am going to be applying for spousal sponsorship next year. Will we need to live in our own place for me to be approved? I'm a little concerned we will not be able to prove our relationship is genuine as we've only been together 2 and a half years I wondered if they would be suspicious.

All advice and similar experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
It depends on your situation, more info is certainly needed like have you lived together before?

For my current law application for spousal I had lived with my partners parents in Canada before moving into an apartment on a formal lease. For the period that we lived there - about 2 months - I included formal signed statements from both her parents (you have to get a bunch of these from family and friends anyway - they are signed statements to confirm that they believe your relationship to be genuine, you will see when you apply). I also included a couple of 'official' letters (like bank statements) addressed to both of us dated during the period when we lived there. So these are a couple of the sort of things you can do...
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 10:14 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LHaywood1
Looking for some advice...

Currently in Canada on 1st IEC visa, I will be applying for a second year when it opens. Working at a law firm and living with boyfriends parents since arrival (8 weeks). I am going to be applying for spousal sponsorship next year. Will we need to live in our own place for me to be approved? I'm a little concerned we will not be able to prove our relationship is genuine as we've only been together 2 and a half years I wondered if they would be suspicious.

All advice and similar experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
If you're living together, even in a parents house, it's fine. You'll just need to get signed letters from the parents saying how long you've been there and that they believe it's all legit. Include copies of their passport ID pages to verify identity (anyone could write a letter and make up the names).

If you don't have a joint bank account open one as soon as possible and begin to use it. Get a print out of the account details from the Bank involved. It should be possible for them to print something official and stamp it in branch showing both your names as joint owners. If you have joint bills for anything it's good to include copies. If not I'd imagine you both have phone contracts or the like that might be individual but you'll still get separate bills which will have the same address on it.

You mention going down the spousal route so I'm assuming you'll get married sometime in the near future. In that case you can include a few congratulation cards on your engagement and the same for wedding cards.

Also include photos of your relationship and the future wedding. The relationship photos can be pretty run of the mill - "here is X and Y at ABC Restaurant". Don't all have to be at "landmarks". My lawyer said we should include about 20-30 photos in our application so we mostly included photos from our engagement party and then the wedding.

In addition, if you visited each other in your different countries (or went on holidays together) before living together then take scans of the stamps in your passports and include/print out any flight itineraries if you have them.

My experience thus far, having applied via a Lawyer, is that the CIC aren't trying to trip you up or look for an excuse to say no. They just want to make sure you're reasonably thorough and explain the background of your relationship in your application. With a selection of the stuff I posted above you can certainly easily prove a relationship where you've combined your affairs and depend on each other for support. That is what the officer is looking for.

Last edited by orly; Dec 23rd 2012 at 10:16 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 12:29 am
Just Joined

immigration007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied for sponsership of wife who lives in norway.
sent application 12 april 2012 to missisauga
started processing 11 july
approved and sent to london 11 july.
got a letter in days that followed.

on PR side have heard nothing ever since.
Only says applcation recieved.. ad medical recieved.

anyone else have same situation? is something wrong?
Old Dec 27th 2012, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

BlueBerryPie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by immigration007
I applied for sponsership of wife who lives in norway.
sent application 12 april 2012 to missisauga
started processing 11 july
approved and sent to london 11 july.
got a letter in days that followed.

on PR side have heard nothing ever since.
Only says applcation recieved.. ad medical recieved.

anyone else have same situation? is something wrong?
No, look through previous posts, I think everyone has that "status". They're really taking their time with the London end now though, a few have gone through from August arrivals (to London office). I'm a September application in London. It shouldn't be long for you though.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by BlueBerryPie
No, look through previous posts, I think everyone has that "status". They're really taking their time with the London end now though, a few have gone through from August arrivals (to London office). I'm a September application in London. It shouldn't be long for you though.

Thanks. And yea i hope it does come through soon.
Good luck to you also.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

canadianbird is an unknown quantity at this point

We sent our application in aug 21st 2012 got sponsorship email Oct 30th 2012. I have checked the website it says application received 21st Aug, medicals received, address updated and that is it !!! The address has been updated as we are going to Canada on the 17th of January as my Dad is desperate (i'm Canadian needs me to work for his company) whilst the hubby will wait out his PR in Canada looking after our children. If it doesn't come through by July 2013 can he drive into the USA and then back in again to activate another 6 month visa? Or would he need to fly out. We are entering Canada on one way tickets too. We have four children who are still waiting for their citizenship's 16 mths later (made the mistake of applying in Canada so it takes lots longer) I have been told that my husband must say he is coming to "wait out his PR" rather than coming to live in Canada !!
Old Dec 30th 2012, 5:36 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by canadianbird
We sent our application in aug 21st 2012 got sponsorship email Oct 30th 2012. I have checked the website it says application received 21st Aug, medicals received, address updated and that is it !!! The address has been updated as we are going to Canada on the 17th of January as my Dad is desperate (i'm Canadian needs me to work for his company) whilst the hubby will wait out his PR in Canada looking after our children. If it doesn't come through by July 2013 can he drive into the USA and then back in again to activate another 6 month visa? Or would he need to fly out. We are entering Canada on one way tickets too. We have four children who are still waiting for their citizenship's 16 mths later (made the mistake of applying in Canada so it takes lots longer) I have been told that my husband must say he is coming to "wait out his PR" rather than coming to live in Canada !!
1. Carry a copy of the approved sponsorship, and ask for a years visitor permit. If not, and before the 6 months runs out (if admitted) then apply for an extension of status to Vegreville.
2. A word to the wise, you probably should have started the application/sponsorship for the spouse when you applied for citizenship for the children, he probably would have his COPR in hand now.
Old Dec 31st 2012, 10:21 am
Best place on earth. BC.

MegRobEarlee is an unknown quantity at this point

Whats the current wait time for Common Law outland via london? If we were to put in our application say, beginning of March do we stand a chance of getting COPR before mid september? Its not the end of the world if not, we wont have any housing costs to pay for the first 3-6 months as staying with parents but my partner would like to start work asap.
I need to stop working by beginning of september as I dont fancy paying the grand for my UK perm residency, figure it be best to keep in the bank!
Old Dec 31st 2012, 10:39 am
Best place on earth. BC.

MegRobEarlee is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also so confused if someoen could offer advice?
do we need to sign the statuatory dec if I am sponsoring my CLP?
also he is divorced, do we need to inculde a copy of his DA?
and if he has non dependent children that wont be coming with us but wants to include them on his application in case they do want to come over do they need medicals?
does he put a covering note stating they are non dependents ie he is not the primary carer?
Also the sponsorship checklist is askign for proof of income. I didnt htink this was neccessary for spousal outland applicaitons?
Old Dec 31st 2012, 12:08 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MegRobEarlee
Whats the current wait time for Common Law outland via london? If we were to put in our application say, beginning of March do we stand a chance of getting COPR before mid september? Its not the end of the world if not, we wont have any housing costs to pay for the first 3-6 months as staying with parents but my partner would like to start work asap.
I need to stop working by beginning of september as I dont fancy paying the grand for my UK perm residency, figure it be best to keep in the bank!
I applied Common-Law at the beginning of this year, Outland via London - my timeline is in my signature. The spreadsheet below can give you a more general idea, just filter for everyone who applied Common-Law (though it's broadly the same time frame as spousal).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...CJyi-IYE#gid=0

Originally Posted by MegRobEarlee
I am also so confused if someoen could offer advice?
do we need to sign the statuatory dec if I am sponsoring my CLP?
also he is divorced, do we need to inculde a copy of his DA?
and if he has non dependent children that wont be coming with us but wants to include them on his application in case they do want to come over do they need medicals?
does he put a covering note stating they are non dependents ie he is not the primary carer?
Also the sponsorship checklist is askign for proof of income. I didnt htink this was neccessary for spousal outland applicaitons?
There is another thread about this elsewhere on the front page, but no, you do not need to sign the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union if you are sponsoring your CLP. That form is if you and your CLP are co-sponsoring a third person. (It's confusing!)

Divorce - yes, I believe you have to include all paperwork. Someone else should confirm this though.

Kids - if he EVER wants to be able to sponsor them, even at a later date, they need to be on the forms - again might be worth asking about this separately, but I believe that's the rule (someone please correct me if I am wrong). Not sure about the covering letter.

Proof of income - there is no minimum income required for sponsoring people in the family class, but you generally have to be able to show that you can meet the obligation to financially support the sponsored person for 3 years from when they become PR. Basically just show that you have money and are not on welfare or other government assistance.

Have a solid read through the board's Wiki, a lot of this stuff, particularly around divorce and children, are outlined extremely clearly.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

hi,

Can someone please provide some advice on following:
I have applied to sponser my wife from outside canada but she has a european passport and can come to canada at anytime. It has been almost 6 months since london got the file but no reply of any kind.
What I want to know is if my wife comes to canada as a visitor and her PR arrives is it possible to go to the USA and reenter to change the status? If yes, please provide details and documents i would need to carry this out smoothly.

thanks guys.
Old Jan 1st 2013, 6:56 pm
GS1
Forum Regular

GS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

2 questions please.

I have received my CORP and am due to fly over to canada next week,

i have a 8 month son who is coming with me and my canadian wife and the baby has its own canada and british passport,, do i need to still need to notify immigration here in London as my instruction form on my CORP says that i need to otherwise entry will be refused i dont think ive left enough time?

how do i actually get PR? is this done at heathrow airport or toronto airport?

CHEERS, GS1
Old Jan 1st 2013, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GS1
Hi,

2 questions please.

I have received my CORP and am due to fly over to canada next week,

i have a 8 month son who is coming with me and my canadian wife and the baby has its own canada and british passport,, do i need to still need to notify immigration here in London as my instruction form on my CORP says that i need to otherwise entry will be refused i dont think ive left enough time?

how do i actually get PR? is this done at heathrow airport or toronto airport?

CHEERS, GS1
you get your PR at toronto. I dont think you need to notify immigration in London of anything if your paperwork has all been processed
Old Jan 1st 2013, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

aquariusvn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by immigration007
hi,

Can someone please provide some advice on following:
I have applied to sponser my wife from outside canada but she has a european passport and can come to canada at anytime. It has been almost 6 months since london got the file but no reply of any kind.
What I want to know is if my wife comes to canada as a visitor and her PR arrives is it possible to go to the USA and reenter to change the status? If yes, please provide details and documents i would need to carry this out smoothly.

thanks guys.
It's unlikely that your wife will have any problem. When my daughter entered canada as visitor, I just explained to the border guard the situation, showed her the sponsor approving letter, and let her know our intention to keep our daughter in Canada until her PR application is complete. We got through without any problem. After receiving the COPR, we came to the usa just to turnaround and reentered canada to finish landing procedure. It was very simple and easy indeed. You will just need the passport and the COPR document.
Old Jan 6th 2013, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

carley_jackson will become famous soon enough

Everybody's being very quiet, no updates to report? I'm getting a bit fed up now...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.