Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Apr 18th 2012, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

paul.. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by JakeCanada
Hi Guys,

Whats the average timeline been for spousal sponsorship? I am joining the waiting game next month.

Jake.
This should help you

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...CJyi-IYE#gid=1
Old Apr 18th 2012, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

sarah_m will become famous soon enoughsarah_m will become famous soon enough

Sorry if this is a really stupid question. I've been looking at the spreadsheet for outland applications, and can see on average, it took 139 days (4.5 months) on average for PR apps to process from start to finish. Now, what with the huge backlog, do you think it's likely to take a LOT longer? I am confused as it said that the 2nd stage to processing, will take on average 7 months!? Is this realistic? I sent my paperwork in at the end of February and have not heard anything. Looking through all of the posts, looks like I won't hear for quite a while yet..but a rough idea of when I might be able to head back there would be useful. Is Aug/September looking very unlikely? Should I be realistically thinking I'll be returning early 2013? Eep, hope not!
Old Apr 18th 2012, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Deficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura aboutDeficient has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by sarah_m
Sorry if this is a really stupid question. I've been looking at the spreadsheet for outland applications, and can see on average, it took 139 days (4.5 months) on average for PR apps to process from start to finish. Now, what with the huge backlog, do you think it's likely to take a LOT longer? I am confused as it said that the 2nd stage to processing, will take on average 7 months!? Is this realistic? I sent my paperwork in at the end of February and have not heard anything. Looking through all of the posts, looks like I won't hear for quite a while yet..but a rough idea of when I might be able to head back there would be useful. Is Aug/September looking very unlikely? Should I be realistically thinking I'll be returning early 2013? Eep, hope not!
2nd stage seems to be 2-3 months for most people according to that spreadsheet paul just posted. I can't remember what exactly the 7 month stat means, I think it's like 80% of cases are processed within that timeframe or something similar. I recall looking at some official stats that also showed London processing 50% of cases within 4 months, or something like that.

It's the 1st stage that's causing much of the delay for now, that's where the backlog seems to be - they're pushing 3 months at the moment to process the sponsor approval.

I also filed in late February and intend to move to Canada in mid September, but I have the added hurdle of Quebec to deal with, and am also subject to medical furtherance. I don't expect to have my visa in time... I think it might still be possible for you to have yours in the timeframe you mention so long as you have no complications.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Deficient
2nd stage seems to be 2-3 months for most people according to that spreadsheet paul just posted. I can't remember what exactly the 7 month stat means, I think it's like 80% of cases are processed within that timeframe or something similar. I recall looking at some official stats that also showed London processing 50% of cases within 4 months, or something like that.

It's the 1st stage that's causing much of the delay for now, that's where the backlog seems to be - they're pushing 3 months at the moment to process the sponsor approval.

I also filed in late February and intend to move to Canada in mid September, but I have the added hurdle of Quebec to deal with, and am also subject to medical furtherance. I don't expect to have my visa in time... I think it might still be possible for you to have yours in the timeframe you mention so long as you have no complications.
Thanks for the info and advice on my timeline.

This is the link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/perm-fc.asp

It's 84 days for stage 1 and then on average 7 months for stage 2 .. so does that not mean 11 months!? Maybe someone else can confirm this. Argh I hate all of this waiting.
Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Aargh I hate crunching all these numbers in my head after looking at the CV spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...CJyi-IYE#gid=1) Anyone else think the time from Sponsor Approval to COPR is getting longer?

Probably doesn't matter, will just carry on sitting here twiddling my thumbs! If anyone else is in Canada waiting for PR, how are you keeping yourselves entertained? I seem to have run out of TV shows to watch, and games to play! Even thinking about taking up gardening to pass the time!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by conjonway
Aargh I hate crunching all these numbers in my head after looking at the CV spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...CJyi-IYE#gid=1) Anyone else think the time from Sponsor Approval to COPR is getting longer?

Probably doesn't matter, will just carry on sitting here twiddling my thumbs! If anyone else is in Canada waiting for PR, how are you keeping yourselves entertained? I seem to have run out of TV shows to watch, and games to play! Even thinking about taking up gardening to pass the time!
Just out of interest - was coming back to the UK to work ever an option?
I returned 3 weeks ago today and feel like I might have made a mistake. I miss my boyfriend so much (as well as Toronto) and the thought of not seeing him until september, october, or longer into the future saddens me so much!

I'm looking for work at the moment over here in the UK and I'm just passing time by listing things on ebay, downloading new music, reading lots of books, spending a lot of time cooking new things ...
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest - was coming back to the UK to work ever an option?
Decided it wasn't an option because I figured if I had to spend close to $800/900 bucks to fly home and then back in again when I had PR, then I could probably wait out the period between IEC visa expiring and PR coming through for way less than that! I may have been eating/drinking out a bit more now, but not to the $900 extent! Plus y'know, the gf is nice to be around!

I have a new work permit and job starting May 8th, so not a crazy long time to wait really. Only issue is it means spending 3 months in Northern Ontario and being away from her then instead of now!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

I have a new work permit and job starting May 8th, so not a crazy long time to wait really. Only issue is it means spending 3 months in Northern Ontario and being away from her then instead of now!

Aw, I'm jealous. My IEC visa ran out at the end of March and i've spent more than 18 months outside of the UK so can't apply for another one I don't know if I can wait for my PR to come through.. i can probably wait until September but not much longer than that!
Old Apr 19th 2012, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

erinmcc174 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Im sorry if this is a stupid question but i was wondering if anyone can help me? Im currently in Canada on my first Working holiday visa through the IEC, my second one has just been approved and that will start in september. Im living on vancouver island with my Canadian boyfriend who Ive been with since March 2011, I met him in New Zealand. Basically I am planning on aplying for the common-law visa through him as I dont want to leave. My current visa allows me to stay here till september 2013 but i was planning on applying for the comon law visa this year as Ive heard it can take along time to be approved and I dont want to risk having to leave. Anyways, Ive got all the info that they require, eg proof that we've been together for more than 12 months, bills in both our names, pictures etc. But Ive been told that I should apply to the london office for my visa as its faster than if I applied to the canadian office. I was just wondering if its possible to apply to the UK office even if im in Canada, as i thought this wsa only for people applying oputside of Canada? any info on this would be great! thanks in advance
Old Apr 19th 2012, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by erinmcc174
Hi Guys,

Im sorry if this is a stupid question but i was wondering if anyone can help me? Im currently in Canada on my first Working holiday visa through the IEC, my second one has just been approved and that will start in september. Im living on vancouver island with my Canadian boyfriend who Ive been with since March 2011, I met him in New Zealand. Basically I am planning on aplying for the common-law visa through him as I dont want to leave. My current visa allows me to stay here till september 2013 but i was planning on applying for the comon law visa this year as Ive heard it can take along time to be approved and I dont want to risk having to leave. Anyways, Ive got all the info that they require, eg proof that we've been together for more than 12 months, bills in both our names, pictures etc. But Ive been told that I should apply to the london office for my visa as its faster than if I applied to the canadian office. I was just wondering if its possible to apply to the UK office even if im in Canada, as i thought this wsa only for people applying oputside of Canada? any info on this would be great! thanks in advance

You can definitely apply to the visa office in London, and you should! It's much faster, the only 'potential' drawback is if in the unlikely situation that they decide to request an interview then you will have to fly to London to have it.

If you've been cohabiting for over a year and have had joint accounts, bills etc for that duration then I would definitely apply as soon as you just to make sure you don't have to worry about it closer to the expiration of your second IEC visa
Old Apr 19th 2012, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by erinmcc174
Hi Guys,

Looking closer at your dates, it looks like you only really started cohabiting and living as if you were "man and wife" from when you started living together in Canada in September 2011, so to be on the safe side you could wait until September 2012 to apply then you'll have a whole uninterrupted year in Canada. If your deadline is September 2013 then you should have ample time to get your PR before then.

Although, if you can prove that you weren't just 'travel buddies' in NZ, and were a genuine pretty much married couple from the second you met, then sure go ahead
Old Apr 20th 2012, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

Thanks for the info and advice on my timeline.

This is the link - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...es/perm-fc.asp

It's 84 days for stage 1 and then on average 7 months for stage 2 .. so does that not mean 11 months!? Maybe someone else can confirm this. Argh I hate all of this waiting.
Yes it does mean 11 months but if London carry on as they have been and if you have a simple case then the average for London seems to be around 3-4 months.

Only thing is whether you can judge yours to be a simple case or not.

We submitted to CPC-M on the 08th November and I had my COPR in hand 30th March.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yzf.shaun
Yes it does mean 11 months but if London carry on as they have been and if you have a simple case then the average for London seems to be around 3-4 months.

Only thing is whether you can judge yours to be a simple case or not.

We submitted to CPC-M on the 08th November and I had my COPR in hand 30th March.
Hmm. Well I met my Canadian partner in May 2010. After a month he moved in with me. His name was only added to the lease in November 2010 (and I was living in a shared house at the time and he lived in my room with me). This is a potential problem but I believe we have enough other evidence to support we were serious before this date. For example, he met my mum for the first time in July 2010, I went to his brother's wedding in August 2010, he visited England with me in March 2011...all of which I have evidence for including photos and testimony from his mum and mine. We moved into our own apartment in October 2011 and I applied for PR on Feb 1st (by which time, we'd been together in a common law relationship for 1 year and 3 months, as we used the date of November 2011 as our 1 year cohabitation).

Unfortunately, I had to leave Canada at the end of March this year as my IEC visa ran out and I had been out of the UK for too long to apply for another. I included a letter in my application stating that I fear that I would be rejected for my visa and might have to leave Canada. I spoke to an immigration officer and they told me that it was the right thing to do and as we would not be together due to immigration restrictions, it shouldn't be a problem. I'm now back in the UK and have been for 3 weeks. My partner has to move out of the apartment at the end of this month as he can't afford the rent on his income alone.

I have one question - my partner is planning to join a course for 1 year in the middle of May. It's going to cost him around $15,000 and he will be living with his parents for a year. If he goes, will it risk my likelihood of getting PR due to him not earning an income?? I am applying through common law sponsorship and I thought I read something about whoever sponsors you, doesn't have to meet the normal requirements but maybe I misunderstood. Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm sure he wouldn't want to detriment my PR by enrolling on this course.

Eepp 11 months!??!??
Old Apr 20th 2012, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

lozzyblue is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=conjonway;10014845]Aargh I hate crunching all these numbers in my head after looking at the CV spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...CJyi-IYE#gid=1) Anyone else think the time from Sponsor Approval to COPR is getting longer? QUOTE]

Yes... still waiting but heard nothing.... no change on ECAS
Old Apr 20th 2012, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

CanadianTash is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=lozzyblue;10016318]
Aargh I hate crunching all these numbers in my head after looking at the CV spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...CJyi-IYE#gid=1) Anyone else think the time from Sponsor Approval to COPR is getting longer? QUOTE]

Yes... still waiting but heard nothing.... no change on ECAS
It must be coming soon for you Lozzyblue i will keep my fingers crossed for you, and hope for an update for you in the next couple weeks at the latest!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.