Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by leggy969
Still got my for you all....was hoping to see some more PPR's this week and it's gotta be anytime now surely!!

Maybe tomorrow for you
Maybe, a bit unsettling, but i'm sure we will all hear something soon!

Thanks for the
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Nevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really niceNevertoolate is just really nice
Talking re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Thought I would share my story. I came to Canada in June 2010 as a visitor and married my Canadian fiance here at the end of November. After some delays, finally sent the completed sponsorship application to Missisauga on 28 February this year. Was notified by email on 18 May that my application had reached final stage of processing and I sent off my passport to London the same day. Last Wednesday 13 July the passport, complete with permanent resident visa, was delivered and on Saturday 16 July we went over to Port Huron in Michigan and on coming back into Canada my permanent resident status was activated! So, only 4.5 months from start to finish, which is a lot less than I was expecting.

The bureaucratic problems for me occured in the lead-up to application: waiting 10 weeks to get my British divorce validated by Canadian authorities (plus $250 required letter from Canadian lawyer) before being able to plan the wedding; waiting 10 weeks after the wedding for the marriage to be registered before we could get the marriage certificate; then waiting for a replacement British passport in my new name (which meant I had a new passport with no evidence of my entry into Canada - crossed the border with it at Niagara where a USA immigration officer with a gun and an attitude gave me a really hard time before letting me in but on coming back into Canada the immigration officer couldn't have been more helpful and gave me a visitor extension of 9 months).

We sent the sponsorship application before I received my new passport so I did two front pages of the application form, one in my previous name with those passport details, and one in my new name with a note that the passport details would follow (a scanned copy of the passport was sent on 19 April) and it all seemed to work out. I got my health card three months to the day after the letter of 1 March accepting my husband as my sponsor and got issued a social insurance number a couple of days ago so now I can look for work and feel like a normal member of society.

Completely unrelated topic - after 13 months of driving without incident on the right (in both senses!) side of the road I found myself last week doing 80kph on the highway wondering why the the cars coming in the other direction were in the same lane as I was before realisation hit me and I veered back to where I should be. Very scary!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nevertoolate
Thought I would share my story. I came to Canada in June 2010 as a visitor and married my Canadian fiance here at the end of November. After some delays, finally sent the completed sponsorship application to Missisauga on 28 February this year. Was notified by email on 18 May that my application had reached final stage of processing and I sent off my passport to London the same day. Last Wednesday 13 July the passport, complete with permanent resident visa, was delivered and on Saturday 16 July we went over to Port Huron in Michigan and on coming back into Canada my permanent resident status was activated! So, only 4.5 months from start to finish, which is a lot less than I was expecting.

The bureaucratic problems for me occured in the lead-up to application: waiting 10 weeks to get my British divorce validated by Canadian authorities (plus $250 required letter from Canadian lawyer) before being able to plan the wedding; waiting 10 weeks after the wedding for the marriage to be registered before we could get the marriage certificate; then waiting for a replacement British passport in my new name (which meant I had a new passport with no evidence of my entry into Canada - crossed the border with it at Niagara where a USA immigration officer with a gun and an attitude gave me a really hard time before letting me in but on coming back into Canada the immigration officer couldn't have been more helpful and gave me a visitor extension of 9 months).

We sent the sponsorship application before I received my new passport so I did two front pages of the application form, one in my previous name with those passport details, and one in my new name with a note that the passport details would follow (a scanned copy of the passport was sent on 19 April) and it all seemed to work out. I got my health card three months to the day after the letter of 1 March accepting my husband as my sponsor and got issued a social insurance number a couple of days ago so now I can look for work and feel like a normal member of society.

Completely unrelated topic - after 13 months of driving without incident on the right (in both senses!) side of the road I found myself last week doing 80kph on the highway wondering why the the cars coming in the other direction were in the same lane as I was before realisation hit me and I veered back to where I should be. Very scary!
Wow, way to go thats an amazing timeline...we're still waiting to hear!

congratulations...and we're close to you...stay on the right side of the road!!!!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

123me is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nevertoolate

Thanks for sharing your story, sounds alot like mine, excpet I am Canadian and my husband is English. We got married June 25th so we are waiting the 8 weeks so I can get the mariage certificate. We also have to wait that long for his police check from the US. We have started to fill in the paperwork, and gather our extra documents.
Scary about the driving....
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Wow, just totally stressed to the wall now, can't stop checking our email and beginning to think we've done something wrong.

Anyone heard ANYTHING in the last couple days from May 12ths?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 2:01 pm
tsc
Forum Regular

tsc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BrennaBoo

Wow, just totally stressed to the wall now, can't stop checking our email and beginning to think we've done something wrong.

Hi everyone - have been away so not been reading all the updates - congrats to those who have had news and still fingers crossed to those waiting!

I might have asked this before and apologies if I have - can I send my husband's passport to my Mum (who lives in the UK) and have her deliver it to the High Commission and then pick it up two weeks later and then she can courier it back to us?

The paperwork I got sent states that 'you can nominate someone else to collect the passport' but doesn't say anything about someone else dropping it off...

I need to get it back ideally before 6 weeks so am trying to figure out how... any comments most gratefully received!

Thanks
TSC
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

richard37 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tsc
Hi everyone - have been away so not been reading all the updates - congrats to those who have had news and still fingers crossed to those waiting!

I might have asked this before and apologies if I have - can I send my husband's passport to my Mum (who lives in the UK) and have her deliver it to the High Commission and then pick it up two weeks later and then she can courier it back to us?

The paperwork I got sent states that 'you can nominate someone else to collect the passport' but doesn't say anything about someone else dropping it off...

I need to get it back ideally before 6 weeks so am trying to figure out how... any comments most gratefully received!

Thanks
TSC
Hi TSC,

My passport request said,

"You may also deposit your package in our drop box, which is located inside the entrance to the address above.
Packages may be placed in the drop box any time that the building is open (opening hours are on our website).
Address your package to “PHEP Processing”."

It's halfway down the forth page.
Hope this helps!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Aperture is on a distinguished road

We just submitted our application today (YAY!), so I thought I'd introduce myself as I'll be hanging around this thread a bit.

We're common-law and live in Canada, and we applied outland (to London). I'm Canadian and my partner is British. I like to think we're a fairly straight-forward case and we supplied lots of documentation (joint everything: leases, insurance, credit cards, and bank accounts, plus airline tickets, letters of support from family/friends and photographs spanning three years) so I'm hoping it'll take less time than the suggested 9 months on the website.

I'm very grateful for this forum. You've all kept me sane during the application-writing process; fingers are crossed that I shall remain sane as we wait.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 6:51 pm
tsc
Forum Regular

tsc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by richard37
Hi TSC,

My passport request said,

"You may also deposit your package in our drop box, which is located inside the entrance to the address above.
Packages may be placed in the drop box any time that the building is open (opening hours are on our website).
Address your package to “PHEP Processing”."

It's halfway down the forth page.
Hope this helps!
Hey Richard
Thanks - yes I had seen that - my question is though does the drop box option take 6 weeks or does it take two weeks as per the 'in person drop off'?

Any ideas?
TSC
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tsc
Hey Richard
Thanks - yes I had seen that - my question is though does the drop box option take 6 weeks or does it take two weeks as per the 'in person drop off'?

Any ideas?
TSC
I think the drop box is just like posting - you don't pick it up after 2 weeks - I think we had a discussion on this previously on this thread somewhere.

Not sure if someone else can drop it off for you, but they can definitely pick it up if they have authorisation.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

jaskp1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BrennaBoo

Hey Brennaboo...

Don't worry about it too much.. I know what you mean... It's so hard to wait... I've been keeping myself extremely busy to keep my mind off it. Just check my emails in the morning and evening now... But don't worry... sometimes no news is good news.

I must admit it is rather inconsistent and random so we just have to give it some more time and hope for the best... I hope it comes before mid August now :s

P.S. Who is this crillz from the spreadsheet from canadavisa.com... He claims his application was received in mississauga on 1st May and got sponsor approved on 4th MAy...??? WTH??? There are more such dramatically short timelines and it makes u think OMG is there discrimination involved?? It's the most depressing spreadsheet... Makes me wonder if they have made mistakes/confusions with the dates... I have never come across such a strangely short timeline on this forum.... we've had more realistic timelines unlike the frustrating and depressing canadavisa.com spreadsheet claims!!

Last edited by jaskp1; Jul 22nd 2011 at 10:31 pm. Reason: additional info
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

edmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud ofedmontonian has much to be proud of

We finally sent off our application and it was signed for at the CPC-M on July 22nd at 10:15 am, wow cant believe its actually there, so now we wait...
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Cawsand is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone. I have limited internet access so I'm not sure when my status changed but our application was finally received in London on July 11th. Nothing more than that, but at least something is happening in London...
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 10:12 pm
LZA
Forum Regular

LZA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tsc
Hey Richard

Any ideas?
TSC
Unfortunately if you put it in the drop off box it will follow the same route/timelines as if you were posting it to them. Only the person applying for PR can drop it off in person and take away the receipt and paperwork - as others have stated, you can however nominate someone to pick the passport on your behalf but they need to have a letter of authority from you and the receipt, in addition they need to take photographic identification with them when they go to pick up the passport.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

Aperture is on a distinguished road

My very first dumb question in this thread:

After submitting to CPC-M, should we expect to hear anything from CPC-M before a decision is made? E.g., will they e-mail us to confirm receipt? (Presumably they e-mail to let us know when a decision has been made.)

I know there's some kind of online tracking system, but how does it work? What sort of ID number is needed to use it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.