Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PR Card Renewal - but vacation is looming

PR Card Renewal - but vacation is looming

Old Jan 20th 2018, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR Card Renewal - but vacation is looming

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
But presumably a British tourist could book a bus ticket from New York to Toronto without needing any document other than a valid passport. As I understand, eTA is only for air carriers and I'm guessing it's designed to prevent people with false documents from visa-free countries from boarding a flight to Canada in the first place.

Once you get to the land border and have a valid passport and can prove your PR somehow then it wouldn't matter if you didn't have a PRTD and came by bus because the PRTD was mainly for the bus company's benefit and not the CBSA/CIC?
Visitors are fine. Permanent Residents need a valid PR card for travel by a commercial carrier. What and how the driver does with passengers only becomes my concern at the POE and not before.
No matter how many times I say it on threads and I will spell it out clearly

A PR OF CANADA NEEDS A VALID PR CARD TO TRAVEL TO CANADA ON ANY COMMERCIAL CARRIER

Im not interested in if ands or buts.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Visitors and temporary residents don't need an eTA for the land border by any mode of transport. PRs need a PRC if travelling on commercial transport via the land border but it's not mandatory via non commercial transport.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 5:27 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Visitors are fine. Permanent Residents need a valid PR card for travel by a commercial carrier. What and how the driver does with passengers only becomes my concern at the POE and not before.
No matter how many times I say it on threads and I will spell it out clearly

A PR OF CANADA NEEDS A VALID PR CARD TO TRAVEL TO CANADA ON ANY COMMERCIAL CARRIER

Im not interested in if ands or buts.
I totally understand what you're saying however IMHO Canada has made this unnecessarily complicated.

In the OP's case what they are trying to do is perfectly normal and legal however the rules state that they need an additional piece of paper to get back into the country by a commercial carrier only that piece of paper cannot be requested or secured before they leave Canada, thus creating additional undue risk and stress and only if you come back over the US border by a non-commercial carrier then the piece of paper doesn't matter anyway.

I mean really, there has to be a more simple way of doing this for both sides concerned and with processes this convoluted, you can't really blame people for trying to find creative ways around them.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 5:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I totally understand what you're saying however IMHO Canada has made this unnecessarily complicated.

In the OP's case what they are trying to do is perfectly normal and legal however the rules state that they need an additional piece of paper to get back into the country by a commercial carrier only that piece of paper cannot be requested or secured before they leave Canada, thus creating additional undue risk and stress and only if you come back over the US border by a non-commercial carrier then the piece of paper doesn't matter anyway.

I mean really, there has to be a more simple way of doing this for both sides concerned and with processes this convoluted, you can't really blame people for trying to find creative ways around them.
There are no creative ways around them (other than flying into the US and driving across). They are what they are... so one can either comply or not leave the country!

Old Jan 25th 2018, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Screenwriter is an unknown quantity at this point

Would you believe it.

My new card turned up today. 2 weeks before we travel.

THERE IS A GOD!!

Thank you to everyone for there messages and advice.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

👍
Old Jan 25th 2018, 3:58 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Screenwriter
Would you believe it.

THERE IS A GOD!!

Phew!
Old Jan 25th 2018, 9:05 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Would you believe it.

THERE IS A GOD!!

Congratulations. Have a great trip to Japan.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 11:52 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Would you believe it. My new card turned up today. (24th)
Yes, I would actually.
My post Jan 13th.
Originally Posted by BristolUK
If yours was received on the 27th and they are currently working on the 20th, based on my experience last year you may get it in about 10 days
Anyone interested in next week's lottery numbers?