Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What's my best route to try and extend visit?

What's my best route to try and extend visit?

Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

EssentialP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's my best route to try and extend visit?

So I'm currently in Toronto on last year's IEC working holiday visa from 2011, and mine expires in July.

What I'm doing is a bit unusual... I'm not actually working at a Canadian job but I've been here self-employed working on an iPhone/iPad video game. Development should be completed before July 2013, at which point I intend to look into incorporating as a Canadian company, so I'd like to stay up until that point if possible. I've also been teaching some Jane/Finch kids to cook with a charity (not sure if that counts as work or not?)

In my circumstances, which route should I be looking at for extending my visit for an extra 12 months after my IEC expires? Can I re-apply for another IEC for this year (which I presume I'd need to do ASAP)? Or should I apply to change my status to a visitor? Or something else? Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by EssentialP; Feb 9th 2012 at 1:51 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's my best route to try and extend visit?

IEC's cannot be extended you would have to apply for another and leave Canada. As for extending as a visitor you need to apply through CPC Vegreville.
Read this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
What is your citizenship?
Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
IEC's cannot be extended you would have to apply for another and leave Canada. As for extending as a visitor you need to apply through CPC Vegreville.
Read this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
What is your citizenship?
Ah thanks. So I can't re-apply for the IEC unless I return back to the UK and apply from there?

Yeah, I've been looking at that link. Have been thinking about the option of applying for 6 month visitor, then another 6 month visitor after that, but wanted to ask if that was my most feasible route?
Old Feb 9th 2012, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EssentialP
Ah thanks. So I can't re-apply for the IEC unless I return back to the UK and apply from there?

Yeah, I've been looking at that link. Have been thinking about the option of applying for 6 month visitor, then another 6 month visitor after that, but wanted to ask if that was my most feasible route?
I believe you can apply from within Canada but need to leave to be issued with another TWP.
It will be convincing CPC Vegreville that you are a genuine visitor per se. From the sounds of things you are working on a project so really you are not here as a tourist which the normal visitor enters under. I doubt you would also be classed as a Business Visitor that dont require a work permit.
How are you funding youself while you are here?
I suggest you have a good read of the CIC website re working and visiting.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

It will be convincing CPC Vegreville that you are a genuine visitor per se. From the sounds of things you are working on a project so really you are not here as a tourist which the normal visitor enters under.
It's true I'm working on a project but it's not the reason I'm in Canada, it's not necessary I be here to be working on it. I suppose it's comparable if someone was writing a book in their spare time. I think my primary reasons for wanting to stay as a visitor would be to continue some of the charity work and to see a bit more of the Canadian countryside. Whether they would constitute valid reasons however, I don't know.

I have funds available to live here for another 18 months or so. It's not a problem.

Will read through that link, thanks.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:26 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

You should apply for a change of status to temporary visitor and show that you have the funds to support yourself. It helps to present a reasonable reason for wishing to remain and also that you have every intention of leaving when your status expires.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
You should apply for a change of status to temporary visitor and show that you have the funds to support yourself. It helps to present a reasonable reason for wishing to remain and also that you have every intention of leaving when your status expires.
Thanks, that's helpful, Jim. Considering I'd like to stay 12 months more if possible, what length of visitor visa do you think I could get? Am I allowed to request how long it is for or is that up to the visa officer to decide?
Old Feb 9th 2012, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks, that's helpful, Jim. Considering I'd like to stay 12 months more if possible, what length of visitor visa do you think I could get? Am I allowed to request how long it is for or is that up to the visa officer to decide?
You can request the 12 months and as Jim suggested provide proof of funds. It will be up to the CPC office if they find it suitable to issue the extension based on why you want the extension/swap over and enough funds etc and that you will eventually leave Canada.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. I think I'm gonna take the route suggested by you and Jim and apply to change over to a temporary visitor visa. Hopefully they'll give me the 12 months I'm after.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

I just had a thought…I'm almost certain to be going back to the UK over Christmas, which would be slap bang in the middle of those 12 months (July 2012 – July 2013) —does that change anything?

When I was on the WHV I was able to go home for Christmas and quite easily return, but is it different on a visitors visa? Could they refuse re-entry if I went home for Christmas?

Do I even need to ask for a 12-month, would two sets of 6 months be a better option?

Or maybe it would be safer altogether to apply for the IEC again?

Last edited by EssentialP; Feb 9th 2012 at 9:19 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I just had a thought…I'm almost certain to be going back to the UK over Christmas, which would be slap bang in the middle of those 12 months (July 2012 – July 2013) —does that change anything?

When I was on the WHV I was able to go home for Christmas and quite easily return, but is it different on a visitors visa? Could they refuse re-entry if I went home for Christmas?

Do I even need to ask for a 12-month, would two sets of 6 months be a better option?

Or maybe it would be safer altogether to apply for the IEC again?
Its which ever you feel most comfortable with. If you cannot get IEC and you would be going home then the 2 x 6 month visits might be a safer route providing you meet entry conditions such as no criminality and sufficient funds plus it shows you have always complied i.e visited and left so therefore less of a risk.
Old Feb 9th 2012, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Its which ever you feel most comfortable with. If you cannot get IEC and you would be going home then the 2 x 6 month visits might be a safer route providing you meet entry conditions such as no criminality and sufficient funds plus it shows you have always complied i.e visited and left so therefore less of a risk.
Thanks Lancastrian. In that case I'll investigate the 2x 6 month option as it seems simpler. Though my main concern with that route is it's resting on the premise they'd give me re-entry after I return from Christmas. I'd have been in Canada for the last 18 months (minus the 2 weeks for Christmas) and I'm sure it's unlikely, but what if they say, "nope, you've been in Canada too much lately" and not allow me back in? At which point all my stuff is still in my Toronto apartment. Are they heartless like that? Would they give me at least a couple of days to go get my stuff?
Old Feb 9th 2012, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There are no rules saying how many times you can visit its all legal its just a new entry every time you visit. Sure it may arouse suspicion but as long as admissible it shouldnt be a problem.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 5:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for another IEC (whilst in Canada), once you have the visa all you would need to do is to go to the border and 'flagpole' and activate your new visa. It would be far the easiest thing to do and will negate your concerns of not being allowed back in should you go back to the UK or elsewhere for Christmas.

Bear in mind that you must be under 31 when the IEC visa is issued, even if you are over 31 when you activate it. I would suggest applying asap.

If you wanted to stay after the next IEC visa expires (in 2013) you could apply to change to visitor status, if you do it by 'snail mail' so that it arrives at least a week before your IEC expires and you will be on implied status whilst waiting for a decision... present processing times for visitor visa's is 32 days.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp (it used to be 4 months!)

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 10th 2012 at 5:09 am.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by siouxie
You can apply for another IEC (whilst in Canada), once you have the visa all you would need to do is to go to the border and 'flagpole' and activate your new visa. It would be far the easiest thing to do and will negate your concerns of not being allowed back in should you go back to the UK or elsewhere for Christmas.

Bear in mind that you must be under 31 when the IEC visa is issued, even if you are over 31 when you activate it. I would suggest applying asap.

If you wanted to stay after the next IEC visa expires (in 2013) you could apply to change to visitor status, if you do it by 'snail mail' so that it arrives at least a week before your IEC expires and you will be on implied status whilst waiting for a decision... present processing times for visitor visa's is 32 days.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp (it used to be 4 months!)

Ooh, thanks for the info. A flagpole trip I could do.

First thing I have to do is renew my passport in any case. Once that's done I'll come back and check how many IEC spaces are remaining. (It's awesome how the website is showing that now!)