One way ticket to US with IEC?

Old Feb 9th 2012, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute
Question One way ticket to US with IEC?

Hey guys,

When my COR finally arrives and and I can finally have my LOI in my hands, I was planning on booking a one way ticket to New York, booking a cross country Trek America tour to San Francisco and then hopping on the train from Seattle to Vancouver.

However, following on from some internet readings I realise that this may not be quite so simple.

Firstly, I don't suppose I'll have much trouble activating my LOI at the US/Canada border but its's always a concern.

Secondly, will it be possible for me to book a one way ticket to New York in September with just my LOI as proof that I have no intention of becoming a full time alien bum in The Land of Freedom and Opportunity?

Thanks,
Mazmataz
Old Feb 9th 2012, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One way ticket to US with IEC?

You may want to read this link but you definitely need an ESTA prior to travelling.
http://www.dhs.gov/files/travelers.shtm
Old Feb 9th 2012, 4:53 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mazmataz
Secondly, will it be possible for me to book a one way ticket to New York in September with just my LOI as proof that I have no intention of becoming a full time alien bum in The Land of Freedom and Opportunity?
Impossible to say. The CBP officer may not care and off you go on your merry way, or s/he may and deny you entry and it is entirely at their discretion. Only way to overcome that is to get a B-2 visa for the US, however these are notoriously difficult to get if you are young, planning an extended visit, not employed and from a VWP country. Also if you fail to get the visa then your ESTA authorisation becomes invalidated and you generally have to wait 6-12 months before you will be ESTA authorised again.

All in all, I would personally avoid the US until I had a job and status in Canada, but I might be just being overly cautious.

The Visa-Waiver Program is the biggest case of Your Mileage may Vary.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that really helps confirm my original suspicions!

I don't think that I'm willing to bet a £300 ticket and a £1200 trip on the mood of the immigration official on that particular day.

I think cross-country Canada would be a safer bet!

Although all of this is completely on hold until I least receive my COR after four weeks of waiting...
Old Feb 10th 2012, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

Hey Mamataz,

I did this same type of trip last year before starting my IEC. I did a coast to coast and back again Trek America, starting and finishing in New York. My original plan was to travel one-way to New York and then take the megabus from NY to Toronto at the end of my 6 week trek.

Due to fears of not being allowed in the country etc etc I ended up purchasing a return ticket, flew home to Scotland for 10 or so days and then took a one way back to Toronto. Didn't work out that much more expensive as singles to NY were pretty steep anyway! Was a lot of back and forth but it meant I was almost guaranteed entry without any troubles and the airline would definitely let me fly.

HTH.