Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Need help in moving to Canada at 18 Years old!

Need help in moving to Canada at 18 Years old!

Old Dec 18th 2021, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

TedRichardson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help in moving to Canada at 18 Years old!

Hi all!

I am really hoping this post will be seen and anyone can help me on it as I am in a rather strange situation and would really appreciate some help!!

So I currently live in England and have done my whole life, I am 18 years old and working full time for an insurance company. About a year ago I got with my girlfriend and after visiting Canada once or twice I have decided I would like to move out there, I would really like the change in my life haha!

She lives in Montreal so I understand I would need to learn french and I am happy to do so. The main problem is work. I left school at 16 and started working instantly, thus meaning I have no university degrees. I only have my GCSE’s and work experience. I know a lot of jobs in Canada are very reliant on you having degrees so I’m not sure how I would get a job sufficient enough to bring in the money I’m currently earning or to afford living out there.

I’m not sure where to start with all of this… how do I get the process of moving started, how can I find a job before I go, is this whole thing even possible?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if there is any more details you’d like to know please ask and I'm more than happy to answer

Many thanks,
Ted

Old Dec 19th 2021, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help in moving to Canada at 18 Years old!

This website should help:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...te-canada.html

You've usually got to have enough points in an immigration scheme to qualify.

'Course you could always marry your girlfriend and she could sponsor you .....?
Old Dec 19th 2021, 1:05 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help in moving to Canada at 18 Years old!

Originally Posted by TedRichardson
Hi all!

I am really hoping this post will be seen and anyone can help me on it as I am in a rather strange situation and would really appreciate some help!!

So I currently live in England and have done my whole life, I am 18 years old and working full time for an insurance company. About a year ago I got with my girlfriend and after visiting Canada once or twice I have decided I would like to move out there, I would really like the change in my life haha!

She lives in Montreal so I understand I would need to learn french and I am happy to do so. The main problem is work. I left school at 16 and started working instantly, thus meaning I have no university degrees. I only have my GCSE’s and work experience. I know a lot of jobs in Canada are very reliant on you having degrees so I’m not sure how I would get a job sufficient enough to bring in the money I’m currently earning or to afford living out there.

I’m not sure where to start with all of this… how do I get the process of moving started, how can I find a job before I go, is this whole thing even possible?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated and if there is any more details you’d like to know please ask and I'm more than happy to answer

Many thanks,
Ted
Hello and welcome to BE!

You may want to look into applying to the International Experience Canada pool when it opens again in 2022.. if successful in getting an invite and meeting the requirements it will enable you to obtain a 2 year temporary work permit (a working holiday work permit).. You can read more here: IEC

Immigrating to Montreal (eventually) might prove a little more complicated as Quebec have their own requirements for immigration. You can read about that here: Immigration Québec - Immigrate and settle in Québec

Some Provinces have 'low skill / medium skill' streams for permanent residence, once you have worked in that Province for 6-12 months... would your g/f be willing to move elsewhere in Canada if this allowed you to remain?

Alternatively, once you have lived together 'as if married' with your partner for a continuous period exceeding 12 months they could sponsor you for permanent residence as their common law partner (provided they are a permanent resident or citizen of Canada themselves)... or as has been mentioned, you could marry and be sponsored as well. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...sorship-Canada

We have a great Wiki on different routes to coming to Canada which might be of help.. https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick...an_Immigration