Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

My daughters boyfriend wants to live here with her

My daughters boyfriend wants to live here with her

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:12 am
Just Joined

paulah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My daughters boyfriend wants to live here with her

Hi everyone, the situation I need advice on please is that my daughter who is 22 and canadain as well as british citizen moved here to Canada to be with me. She is pregnant and her boyfriend has recently visited her and just gone back to England, my daughter loves it here and her boyfriend would like to be here with her permanantly, problem is though they have been together for over 2 years they have not lived together as commonlaw, is there a way he can come over and be here and be able to get some kind of permit so he can work for a year so then she could sponsor him after they have lived together for that year, They do plan on getting married some time in the next year but until then he wants to be here with her when the baby arrives in July and be able to stay with her. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:34 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My daughters boyfriend wants to live here with her

If he's a British citizen and under 30, he can get a 12-month working holiday visa through BUNAC.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

mrfollowfollow is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as i'm aware the family class permanent visa application allows for a conjugal partner to be sponsored, however i'm not too sure how you go about proving that, i suppose a lot of evidence of visits and contact (e-mails, telephone calls) etc. However i think the average family class application takes around 6-12 months. I think an inland application can be made as well, so the BUNAC visa would allow him to go immediately, then apply to make it permanent.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Having his baby has got to be a good piece of evidence
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

L'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud ofL'il Bear has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paulah
They do plan on getting married some time in the next year but until then he wants to be here with her when the baby arrives in July and be able to stay with her. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Hi,

I agree with Judy that the BUNAC route is probably the best way if he meets the age requirement. It appears that they are still accepting applications - though I wouldn't drag your heels as the non-student visas tend to disappear quite quickly - if he can apply for the student visa then even better. BUNAC would allow him to work and live with your daughter for 1 year in order for them to meet the common-law requirements. If they are planning on getting married anyway then it might be advisable to do so before they submit their application rather than change their status during the application process.

If they get married whilst he is out on the BUNAC visa and submit their application then there is a possibility that he will receive PR when the BUNAC visa expires without any gaps (though they would have to get their skates on to achieve this). If not then he can always apply to stay as a visitor once his original visa has expired and he is waiting for PR.

Best of luck & congratulations!
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulah
Hi everyone, the situation I need advice on please is that my daughter who is 22 and canadain as well as british citizen moved here to Canada to be with me. She is pregnant and her boyfriend has recently visited her and just gone back to England, my daughter loves it here and her boyfriend would like to be here with her permanantly, problem is though they have been together for over 2 years they have not lived together as commonlaw, is there a way he can come over and be here and be able to get some kind of permit so he can work for a year so then she could sponsor him after they have lived together for that year, They do plan on getting married some time in the next year but until then he wants to be here with her when the baby arrives in July and be able to stay with her. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
If I was in their position I'd just get married (it doesn't have to cost much) and that would cut down on the hassle a little.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:39 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrfollowfollow
As far as i'm aware the family class permanent visa application allows for a conjugal partner to be sponsored, however i'm not too sure how you go about proving that, i suppose a lot
Conjugal partner sponsorship is exclusively for couples who for valid, serious reasons (other than inconvenience, mostly legal) cannot live together long enough to meet common-law definition and/or get married. I don't see in OP's circumstances anything indicating that both youngsters can't live together or get married.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

budda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant futurebudda has a brilliant future

If he wants Bunac he has to move quickly. They were gone by end of jan last year.