Grade Assessment help

Old Mar 18th 2018, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

RealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond repute
Default Grade Assessment help

Hey guys, hope you're all well. I am currently waiting on a grade assessment for my Level 5 Btech professional diploma in music performance from BCIT. I need a year of Canadian post secondary. Can anyone tell me what they expect it to come back as? The wait is killing me and I need some kind of idea. I've seen other threads Level 3's came back good but it seems so unsure. I hate the fact there is so much leverage between different assessment companies too! Help
Old Mar 18th 2018, 10:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Grade Assessment help

It could depend on where you got it assessed.

See this post: http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post12350746

Old Mar 18th 2018, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

RealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond reputeRealVileLev has a reputation beyond repute

I saw that but unfortunately too late! It blows my mind it varies . I've emailed the university of toronto to see if they can confirm it will be classed as what I need. Do you think they'd ever say one thing but assess it differently?
Old Mar 19th 2018, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

So I emailed CES and they told me they can not confirm in advance what my grade is an equivalent of...any ideas? Others have said they did this for them
Old Mar 19th 2018, 1:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RealVileLev
So I emailed CES and they told me they can not confirm in advance what my grade is an equivalent of...any ideas? Others have said they did this for them
They may have done in the past, but perhaps got fed up with people asking ahead of applying properly. Not sure there's a lot you can do other than wait for your results to come back, and then you could apply to CES if needed.

What are you currently scoring, how desperately do you need the points?
Old Mar 19th 2018, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They may have done in the past, but perhaps got fed up with people asking ahead of applying properly. Not sure there's a lot you can do other than wait for your results to come back, and then you could apply to CES if needed.

What are you currently scoring, how desperately do you need the points?
Hey xmas, thanks for the help.

From my lawyer:

"Your estimated CRS score under EE if your Canadian Educational Equivalent is high school and you receive CLB 10 in all 4 language categories is 349. At this time, this number is not sufficient to receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA)
Your estimate CRS score under EE if your Canadian Educational Equivalent is at least 1 year of post-secondary credentials and you receive CLB 10 in all 4 language categories is 447. This points, based on previous ITA, should allow you to move forward with PR application without any job offer from a Canadian employer"
Old Mar 19th 2018, 2:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hey xmas, thanks for the help.

From my lawyer:

"Your estimated CRS score under EE if your Canadian Educational Equivalent is high school and you receive CLB 10 in all 4 language categories is 349. At this time, this number is not sufficient to receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA)
Your estimate CRS score under EE if your Canadian Educational Equivalent is at least 1 year of post-secondary credentials and you receive CLB 10 in all 4 language categories is 447. This points, based on previous ITA, should allow you to move forward with PR application without any job offer from a Canadian employer"
OK, so yes, those points are crucial. S/he seems to have miscalculated if they're assuming CLB Level 10 though. Assuming it's just you (and no partner), then a one year post-grad diploma would get you 90 points for education, and then another 25 points for CLB Level 9 or above IELTS plus that diploma so that would give you 115 extra points. Not sure how they're calculating 98 points extra?? https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...stem/grid.html

But the best thing to do is to check it yourself rather than using a lawyer's assumptions.

When do you lose points due to age, are you young enough that it doesn't matter for a while or do you need to hurry up and apply before a birthday?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 19th 2018 at 2:39 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2018, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

Wouldnt be surprised, she told me CEC is over 1000$ but after checking its more like 500$ right?

I am 30, 31 in December.

I really appreciate your help, lifting my spirits
Old Mar 19th 2018, 2:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Wouldnt be surprised, she told me CEC is over 1000$ but after checking its more like 500$ right?
No, she's right on that one! It'll be $1040 with the Right of Permanent Residence Fee as well. All of this stuff (CRS points too) is easily checkable on the CIC website. Fee list

I am 30, 31 in December.
OK, so ideally you need an ITA before then otherwise your points will drop a bit, hopefully you will have one well before then though.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

Default Grade Analysis (Again!)

Hey guys.

Here's my deal, having spoke to a lawyer I have to have at least one year of Canadian post secondary education in order to be able to return to Canada. It is all hanging on my assessment from BCIT in Vancouver, I have at least 8 weeks to wait and have no idea which way it will go. I am getting the following assessed 'BTEC LEVEL 5 Professional Diploma in MUSIC PERFORMANCE (1year)'. Having asked around people have said I should be ok, but no one knows for sure, there isn't alot in it unlike a masters, or PHD.

I have realised though that I also have a 'BTEC LEVEL 3 National Award in MUSIC PRODUCTION (2years)' as well from a while ago when I was at a different college, can't believe I didn't consider it before, bit silly of me.

So my question is, is it worth me also submitted the Level 3 BTEC, will that be sure to boost my points or not? I know someone else had a Level 3 in Music Productio on this forum but his was a diploma rather than a 'national award'. He got through though via the University of Toronto. So as expensive as it is, and as much of a waste of time it could be, should I just bite the bullet and send both my courses to U.O.T and cross my fingers? I am also going to call both BCIT and U.O.T tomorrow to see if they can give me any idea of what is going on, or how my grades will be assessed.

I know no-one has any certain answers but some advice would be helpful, what would you do in this situation? Will I get points for both degrees even if they are both only counted as secondary, or will it not make any difference unless they are both counted as post secondary?

I hope that made sense, thanks for helping.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 6:37 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I've merged your two threads as it's easier for everyone if your questions on the same subject are together.

On your question, they normally evaluate the highest qualification you have, but as your BTEC is in a related but different field (and a 2 year course), it may be worth getting that assessed as well. You mention "degrees" but please be aware that a BTEC isn't classified as a degree for assessment purposes normally.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along to help.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 20th 2018 at 6:41 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Siouxie
Old Apr 9th 2018, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Another question I'm afraid...

I have a one year level 5 pro diploma btec and a two year level 3 national award btec. I am currently getting the level 5 assessed by two companies because it is a harder course, and so I thought would gain me more points. However it appears it's more about the length of the course than the difficulty. So my question is, is it worth me also getting my 2 year level 3 assessed in hopes that this will give me points for a combination of 3 years post secondary, or can you only declare one of the courses?

Confused...
Old Nov 26th 2018, 9:53 am
Just Joined

AyubAlam is an unknown quantity at this point

Another question I'm afraid...

I have a one year level 5 pro diploma btec and a two year level 3 national award btec. I am currently getting the level 5 assessed by two companies because it is a harder course, and so I thought would gain me more points. However it appears it's more about the length of the course than the difficulty. So my question is, is it worth me also getting my 2 year level 3 assessed in hopes that this will give me points for a combination of 3 years post secondary, or can you only declare one of the courses?

Confused...
Hi Friend,

WHat was the total number of credits for the Level 5 Professional Diploma that you did? & How many months did it take for you to finish it in total?

thanks
Old Nov 26th 2018, 10:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by AyubAlam
Hi Friend,

WHat was the total number of credits for the Level 5 Professional Diploma that you did? & How many months did it take for you to finish it in total?

thanks
Not sure RealVileLev is participating in the forum anymore, so you're unlikely to get a response. But you can look at his previous posts by clicking on his name and selecting from the drop down menu, he got it assessed as a 1 year diploma IIRC.

HTH.