Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal application sent to Australia by mistake!

Spousal application sent to Australia by mistake!

Old Oct 30th 2018, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Bow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spousal application sent to Australia by mistake!

sorry for the amazing title. But I just had to, I don’t know tell people I could just bang my head against a wall.
So to start I submitted finally and sent off my spousal sponsorship application for me wife and kids I’m sponsoring them we live outside of Canada currently.
Anyway posted it via Royal Mail tracked and signed
on the 11/09/18 it arrived in Australia customs on 16/09/18. So obviously it went to the wrong COUNTRY Royal Mail can’t start an investigation to find out where it is until 25 working days as Australia won’t even respond. And so I filled out the online claim form with Royal Mail so they start the investigation then they said there is a back log of 3 weeks until they can contact Australia/ Canada hahahahah what the hell. And they said it takes between 1-3 weeks for them to respond and so it’s been gone around 7 weeks so far and they haven’t even sent off the request to Australia to see where it is.

And on top of that there is a Canada post strike oh an on top of that I’m pretty sure I’ve sent it to the wrong place I sent it to Mississauga when it should of gone to Nova Scotia. Ahhhh the joys anyway what I’m trying to ask is does anyone know if they will send it onto Nova Scotia or back to myself?? I hope it’s not the latter. Anyone with any experience of this please. I’d be very great full. I guess in heigh in sight I should of caught a flight and dropped it in myself.
Old Oct 30th 2018, 11:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh

Originally Posted by Bow21
sorry for the amazing title. But I just had to, I don’t know tell people I could just bang my head against a wall.
So to start I submitted finally and sent off my spousal sponsorship application for me wife and kids I’m sponsoring them we live outside of Canada currently.
on the 11/09/18 it arrived in Australia customs on 16/09/18. So obviously it went to the wrong COUNTRY Royal Mail can’t start an investigation to find out where it is until 25 working days as Australia won’t even respond. And so I filled out the online claim form with Royal Mail so they start the investigation then they said there is a back log of 3 weeks until they can contact Australia/ Canada hahahahah what the hell. And they said it takes between 1-3 weeks for them to respond and so it’s been gone around 7 weeks so far and they haven’t even sent off the request to Australia to see where it is.

And on top of that there is a Canada post strike oh an on top of that I’m pretty sure I’ve sent it to the wrong place I sent it to Mississauga when it should of gone to Nova Scotia. Ahhhh the joys anyway what I’m trying to ask is does anyone know if they will send it onto Nova Scotia or back to myself?? I hope it’s not the latter. Anyone with any experience of this please. I’d be very great full. I guess in heigh in sight I should of caught a flight and dropped it in myself.
Unfortunately, if you sent it to the wrong office (which you did if it went to Mississauga, as that's only for inland apps), then it will just be returned to you and you'll have to apply again, they won't forward it on for you usually. But if it went to OZ by mistake, then are you sure you sent it to Mississauga? Just that I can understand them sending it to Oz if the address was Sydney.........Mississauga, not so much!

I'm changing your thread title btw. Amazing it may be, but you may not get people with relevant experience clicking on it with a title like that!
Old Oct 31st 2018, 2:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal application sent to Australia by mistake!

Speaking from experience with Aus Post........when it arrives at the sorting depot over here it will instantly be clear its in the wrong country so will be pulled aside.
Assuming it has a clear Canadian address on it, it will then be put into the bucket for mail going from Aus to Canada and will go on its merry way to the right country.
It should only be returned to you from Aus if the address on it is imconclusive - ie it doesn't say CANADA - in which case it will be returned to you.
So assuming you put Canada on the address, it is probably already on its way there.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

Bow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond repute

It definitely went to Australia Royal Mail said it accidentally went to Australia it could of been stuck to the back of another parcel/ letter bound for Australia when it was on the conveyor that sorts the items bound for each country. They said they can see the correct destination was Canada and have apologised but that still doesn’t matter. It’s a bit of a kick in the balls that Canada won’t forward my application on to nova Scotia they would rather send it back to me in the U.K. but if that’s what they do that’s what they do. I will use fedex or ups or anyone other than Royal Mail again. I’m a bit gutted that if they do send it back to me by the time it gets back to me it’s going to have taken around 4 months and it still won’t have been submitted to immigration.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 7:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Are you absolutely sure you sent it to Ontario though? I think you must have had the Sydney address on it if it went to Oz by mistake.

if you did sent it to Sydney then it sounds as though it will eventually reach the correct destination though from what Pollyana’s said, which is good.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Pretty sure I sent it to the Mississauga office and not the Nova Scotia one Royal Mail said that Australia will send it onto its final destination but then it looks like because I sent my application to the wrong office they will send it back to me then I will have to roll the dice again and send it back to the correct one at Nova Scotia.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 9:20 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty sure I sent it to the Mississauga office and not the Nova Scotia one Royal Mail said that Australia will send it onto its final destination but then it looks like because I sent my application to the wrong office they will send it back to me then I will have to roll the dice again and send it back to the correct one at Nova Scotia.
Thats certainly what should happen, if it got caught up in mail for Aus instead of Canada, which seems the most likely reason. Any sorter would be looking at the country not the city, then as soon as it arrives here it will be routed back out to Canada. After that, sorry, can't help!
Aus Post are pretty atrocious in many ways but thats mainly in relation to domestic mail. As long as you wrote CANADA on it, it'll go there. Unfortunately it sounds like it would've been better if the address was illegible and Aus just did a RTS (return to sender). However I know from my time working there that RTS is viewed as low priority and can take weeks to be actioned.
An additional way of ensuring it won't lurk in Aus for long is the postcode, crossing my fingers here but presumably Canada does not have four digit postcodes ( eg 4563)?
As long as the postcode is not four figures all the machines will reject it and it will end up in the hands of a human pretty quickly!
Old Oct 31st 2018, 9:26 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Thats certainly what should happen, if it got caught up in mail for Aus instead of Canada, which seems the most likely reason. Any sorter would be looking at the country not the city, then as soon as it arrives here it will be routed back out to Canada. After that, sorry, can't help!
Aus Post are pretty atrocious in many ways but thats mainly in relation to domestic mail. As long as you wrote CANADA on it, it'll go there. Unfortunately it sounds like it would've been better if the address was illegible and Aus just did a RTS (return to sender). However I know from my time working there that RTS is viewed as low priority and can take weeks to be actioned.
An additional way of ensuring it won't lurk in Aus for long is the postcode, crossing my fingers here but presumably Canada does not have four digit postcodes ( eg 4563)?
As long as the postcode is not four figures all the machines will reject it and it will end up in the hands of a human pretty quickly!
Canada has 6 character postal codes based on Provinces. Nova Scotia's starts with B0 or B2 where Mississauga starts with L4.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 9:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

It beggars belief then that somebody has sent it to Oz, I'd thought that as the Canada address is Sydney, somebody had wrongly assumed it was meant to go to Australia, but obviously not!

Hope it makes its way back to you asap, could you not just reapply now and get a new app sent off? I know it means gathering all the paperwork again but might save you quite a bit of time?
Old Oct 31st 2018, 9:58 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Canada has 6 character postal codes based on Provinces. Nova Scotia's starts with B0 or B2 where Mississauga starts with L4.
Thanks for that info. I remember when I worked for APost we had issues with Eastern European countries with 4 digits postcodes. The machins assumed they were Aussie codes and they would go round and round for agres until someone spotted the actual country on the envelope.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

The First person I spoke to at Royal Mail said can you not just re send it I laughed it took me ages to gather all the info and photos etc of us it was a right ball ache so I’m just hoping that it turns up somewhere anywhere because the tracker hasn’t been updated since the 13/10/18 where it says your parcel is current leaving the U.K. and more information will be available when it reaches the destination country. I would re send it but honestly I think about all the questions and info they want it was bad enough renewing my expired Canadian passport from the U.K. sending it was supposed to be the easiest bit of the application the woman at Royal Mail also told me that Canada customs is terrible for holding onto items and letters and parcels and bein very very slow she said. Thanks for your help everyone it’s horrible waiting all this time and not knowing where it is after doing everything I have already and paying almost £1k in application fees.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 10:30 am
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It beggars belief then that somebody has sent it to Oz, I'd thought that as the Canada address is Sydney, somebody had wrongly assumed it was meant to go to Australia, but obviously not!

Hope it makes its way back to you asap, could you not just reapply now and get a new app sent off? I know it means gathering all the paperwork again but might save you quite a bit of time?
Royal Mail has an influx of 'part-time' staff around this time of year to deal with the Christmas period (no pun intended!)

I deal with RM on a daily basis and just got off the phone with them about another issue.

I think your item will be sent back to the UK as a unable to deliver item. It has clearly gone into the wrong sorting area in Luton/Heathrow. Knowing RM like I do it is not uncommon either.

The time is takes to get back is another thing. I've had things take upto 4 months to arrive back from Australia. They are in no rush. Luckily it was sent tracked and signed so it should take a lot less.

It maybe worth re-doing your application as the time it takes to get back might be awhile. Use a courier (FedEx always my go to choice for USA and Canada) via an International Priority/Economy service.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 10:46 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by G0ldie
Royal Mail has an influx of 'part-time' staff around this time of year to deal with the Christmas period (no pun intended!)

I deal with RM on a daily basis and just got off the phone with them about another issue.

I think your item will be sent back to the UK as a unable to deliver item. It has clearly gone into the wrong sorting area in Luton/Heathrow. Knowing RM like I do it is not uncommon either.

The time is takes to get back is another thing. I've had things take upto 4 months to arrive back from Australia. They are in no rush. Luckily it was sent tracked and signed so it should take a lot less.

It maybe worth re-doing your application as the time it takes to get back might be awhile. Use a courier (FedEx always my go to choice for USA and Canada) via an International Priority/Economy service.
There is no reason for Aus to send it back to the UK. As long as the Canadian address is clear it will be sent on to the correct destination. It will only becoe a Return To Sender if the Canadian address cannot be read by the person here ( in Aus).
RTS is low priority as far as Aus Post is concenred, but I see no reason why this should become RTS. It should just be sent onward. ( based on knowledge from working at AP)
I will agree that mail from Aus to Canada is not always fast, I have a lot of delays when sendinfg ebay stuff to Canadian buyers, usually 3weeks Aus to Canada.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 11:10 am
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

There is no reason for Aus to send it back to the UK. As long as the Canadian address is clear it will be sent on to the correct destination. It will only becoe a Return To Sender if the Canadian address cannot be read by the person here ( in Aus).
RTS is low priority as far as Aus Post is concenred, but I see no reason why this should become RTS. It should just be sent onward. ( based on knowledge from working at AP)
I will agree that mail from Aus to Canada is not always fast, I have a lot of delays when sendinfg ebay stuff to Canadian buyers, usually 3weeks Aus to Canada.
I think it better that the member consider a fresh application as Christmasoopma has suggested. This will save time in already bad situation.

If you are an e-commerce seller then you know exactly what situation the postal situation is like in a lot of countries. Anything important is always better via courier. FedEx as I have mentioned before are specialists for US/Canada. We send daily orders to both countries from the UK on a next day basis. They have rarely let me down.
Old Oct 31st 2018, 2:53 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

The First person I spoke to at Royal Mail said can you not just re send it I laughed it took me ages to gather all the info and photos etc of us it was a right ball ache so I’m just hoping that it turns up somewhere anywhere because the tracker hasn’t been updated since the 13/10/18 where it says your parcel is current leaving the U.K. and more information will be available when it reaches the destination country. I would re send it but honestly I think about all the questions and info they want it was bad enough renewing my expired Canadian passport from the U.K. sending it was supposed to be the easiest bit of the application the woman at Royal Mail also told me that Canada customs is terrible for holding onto items and letters and parcels and bein very very slow she said. Thanks for your help everyone it’s horrible waiting all this time and not knowing where it is after doing everything I have already and paying almost £1k in application fees.

You must be feeling gutted

Please tell me that you didn't send original photos - just scans of them - and that you kept a copy of all the documents you sent and forms you filled in.. if you didn't then I strongly recommend if you have to 're do' the application you do so the next time (and send it fedex or similar, never send anything important by normal mail!) - quite often you will be asked for updated forms (particularly the background check / travels) so it's important to have a copy so you can put down exactly what you did last time.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...e_my_photos.3F
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...application.3F

Just a thought, but when did you download the forms.. because the document checklist would have given you the address it had to be sent to - and if you downloaded them n the last couple of months, it would show Sydney. As christmasoompa said, it's unlikely to have gone to Sydney Australia if it had Mississauga Ontario on it! Sydney Australia instead of Sydney Nova Scotia - possible... so let's hope it's the latter!

Hope they track it down and it gets sent to the right place for you - but if you DO have copies of everything still then it would probably be easier and quicker - and less stressful - to send it again.

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 31st 2018 at 8:14 pm. Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.