FSW. Trades

Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW. Trades

Originally Posted by parker14
Thanks joinerboy,

I'm at the stage of waiting for a passport request or a rejection letter.
But useful info for anyone else thinking of applying.
Hi Parker
How long ago did you complete your meds
Old Jul 9th 2010, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

parker14 is an unknown quantity at this point

About 3 weeks ago, sent off RPRF at the same time. I have heard it takes 6-8 weeks to hear anything. Btw, how are you finding the work situation over there and where are you based?
Old Jul 9th 2010, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

daniel2412 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not applied for visa yet, gonna go on recce trip 1st.
1 years continues employment i have no probs.....what is the hours required to immegrate all about,any ideas?something like 9000 hours required????
Also any ideas on refrence from emloyer for the proof of employment?
cheers
Old Jul 9th 2010, 2:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daniel2412
Not applied for visa yet, gonna go on recce trip 1st.
1 years continues employment i have no probs.....what is the hours required to immegrate all about,any ideas?something like 9000 hours required????
Also any ideas on refrence from emloyer for the proof of employment?
cheers
You only need at least one year's full-time work experience as a plumber to qualify as a Skilled Worker (assuming you meet the other criteria i.e. requisite number of points, no criminal record, proof of funds, pass the medical etc).

The minimum hours is for your Red Seal - if you look in the Wiki or do a search you'll find info on it including links to the website so you can see how many hours you'll need (which cannot include any apprenticeship).

Old Jul 9th 2010, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

As regards references, the more the merrier. I am self-employed so this was more of a problem. I did manage to get one from an umbrella company I used to work through but they would not confirm my duties or responsibilities, so I sent a covering letter, resume, notarized terms of engagement contracts together with notarized certificates and trade cards/documentation etc.
I was still expecting to have problems though and was a bit surprised when the next communication from CHC was a medical request.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

snowdogs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I am a carpenter with a fsw application in .

How was the recce joiner boy? have you got any work lined up yet?
Old Jul 10th 2010, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

princess caribou is on a distinguished road

Hi folks, I thought I would start a new thread for any tradesmen/women applying for an FSW visa.
It doesn't matter what trade you are in or what stage in the process you are at. All experiences, thoughts, ideas etc. are welcome.

As far as I see it, the main areas are:

1. The visa application process for employed/self-employed

2. Skills credentials assessment

3. Employment prospects

4. Province you intend to live in

As for me, I am an Electrician and have applied under NOC codes 7241 and 7242. I sent my application to Sydney NS. at the end of August last year.
I completed my medicals around 3 weeks ago and am now awaiting the next stage in the application or rejection. My ECAS is "in process".

My desired location is Vancouver BC. but I am flexible depending on employment prospects.

The next stage for me is to start getting my credentials assessed (Red Seal) and I have emailed a few provincial training authorities to compare their requirements.

Please feel free to ask or add any questions/comments.

Thanks
Hey Parker,

We're applying with my husband as the main applicant through the FSW route - he's a plumber/heating engineer.
We're hoping to get to Calgary but like you are flexible where we go dependent on work prospects.
We went to an immigration fair last year and spoke to a few employers. The number of hours needed to be considered for employment in a trade depends on the province. We were told for plumber that you need the equivalent of 4 years for BC and 6 for Alberta. I'm not sure about apprentice time being taken into consideration. For provinces like NS I think it's even less.
We've just dropped in our 120 day paperwork to CHC in London so I guess we've got a bit of a wait now for our med requests so now is the time we'll look into getting hubby's qualifications recognised. I remember reading somewhere that sometime next year you will be able to sit the Red Seal exams in the UK but I'm not sure when that will be. My understanding is that once you start work in your trade in Canada - there is a time-frame in which you have to sit the exams.
I'm guessing/hoping that employment prospects are still good as Plumber and Electricians are still on 'the list'.
This is a great thread Parker which I'll keep updated with our progress.
Good luck with your application - hopefully you won't have to wait too long now
Old Jul 10th 2010, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by princess caribou
We went to an immigration fair last year and spoke to a few employers. The number of hours needed to be considered for employment in a trade depends on the province. We were told for plumber that you need the equivalent of 4 years for BC and 6 for Alberta. I'm not sure about apprentice time being taken into consideration. For provinces like NS I think it's even less.
Sorry just to clarify and not cause confusion.....

In the first instance,to be considered by CIC for immigration to Canada without pre-arranged employment via FSW, you need to prove at least 1 years full time employment within the last 10 years in a trade that's on 'the list'.

When you get to Canada, depending on the province and trade, prospective employers will want proof of a certain amount of hours/years in your trade before they will consider an offer of employment i.e. for BC 4 years etc.

NB if you get to Canada through the FSW route without pre-arranged employment - you don't have to work in your trade when you get there - once you are a permanent resident you can change career if you so wish (we were told this by an immigration lawyer)
Old Jul 10th 2010, 9:23 am
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

We have also applied via this route. Hubbie is a Plumber with 11 experience after his 4 years of apprentership. We are still waiting on our Meds requests so can't add to much for the mo! Just wanted to say hi, hopefully we are heading for Ontario but like the rest of you will go anywhere the work is...well, nearly anywhere!
Old Jul 10th 2010, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks princess, some good tips there. Are you saying that when you arrive in Canada you can apply for a job (licenced trade) straight away without taking any kind of exam or training? Then you have six months to study and take provincial certificate and the Red Seal? As far as being an Electrician is concerned, I think things are quite a bit different over there and I would need some sort of formal training before going into the work environment.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Just a quick question for anyone in the know, does the 2 year out of 5 year rule have to be continuous or can it be made up of shorter stays, ie. 2 months here 3 months there etc. out of the 5 year period to total 2 years?
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick question for anyone in the know, does the 2 year out of 5 year rule have to be continuous or can it be made up of shorter stays, ie. 2 months here 3 months there etc. out of the 5 year period to total 2 years?
It doesn't have to be continuous, as long as you've spent 2 years out of every 5 years in Canada, you'll maintain your PR status.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks princess, some good tips there. Are you saying that when you arrive in Canada you can apply for a job (licenced trade) straight away without taking any kind of exam or training? Then you have six months to study and take provincial certificate and the Red Seal? As far as being an Electrician is concerned, I think things are quite a bit different over there and I would need some sort of formal training before going into the work environment.
That's how I've understood it but having said that I'm not 100% sure Parker - we're going to yet another expo in London this weekend so I'll get some clarification then.