Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can you have implied status after IEC?

Can you have implied status after IEC?

Old Mar 1st 2018, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

rana1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you have implied status after IEC?

I am in the process of getting my PR, but it definitely won't be processed before my IEC is up. I had planned to apply for a bridging open work permit (once getting my AOR from my PR submission) and if that wasn't processed in time, stay on implied status and carry on working. I have seen contrasting information all over the internet on whether this is allowed, so wanted to know who has experience of doing this?

Thanks

Last edited by rana1; Mar 1st 2018 at 6:31 pm. Reason: Missed out info
Old Mar 1st 2018, 6:13 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you have implied status after IEC?

Originally Posted by rana1
I am in the process of getting my PR, but it definitely won't be processed before my IEC is up. I had planned to apply for a bridging open work permit and if that wasn't processed in time, stay on implied status and carry on working. I have seen contrasting information all over the internet on whether this allowed, so wanted to know who has experience of doing this?

Thanks
I'm no expert, but I think once IEC is finished, you have to stop work until you have a new work permit or PR status.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Once the current work permit expires you must STOP working.
You must change over to visitor status by applying to change your status or having a new work permit issued by other means ie BOWP. It appears you didn't apply for this and now waiting for AOR via a PR application. The AOR doesn't give you implied status so you must apply to change your status.
How can I extend my stay as a visitor?
Old Mar 1st 2018, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Once the current work permit expires you must STOP working.
You must change over to visitor status by applying to change your status or having a new work permit issued by other means ie BOWP. It appears you didn't apply for this and now waiting for AOR via a PR application. The AOR doesn't give you implied status so you must apply to change your status.
How can I extend my stay as a visitor?
Once receiving my AOR and applying for the BOWP (Provided it's before my IEC work permit expires), would I be on implied status?
Old Mar 1st 2018, 9:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the process of getting my PR, but it definitely won't be processed before my IEC is up. I had planned to apply for a bridging open work permit (once getting my AOR from my PR submission) and if that wasn't processed in time, stay on implied status and carry on working. I have seen contrasting information all over the internet on whether this is allowed, so wanted to know who has experience of doing this?

Thanks
See the sticky thread above ^^^^^^

& the Wiki article too.

HTH.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Once receiving my AOR and applying for the BOWP (Provided it's before my IEC work permit expires), would I be on implied status?
You can legally stay in the country until a decision is made on the BOWP however it doesn't allow you to carry on working on your IEC work permit once that expires.
Old Mar 3rd 2018, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said you cannot work without a work permit. Once your IEC expires you must stop working until either you have the BOWP (the actual piece of paper not just applied) or PR and have landed.

You can apply for the BOWP the moment you have submitted an application for PR (i.e. have received and response to the ITA) and you application is being processed.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
You can legally stay in the country until a decision is made on the BOWP however it doesn't allow you to carry on working on your IEC work permit once that expires.
I unfortunately didn't get an ITA in time, so I'm now going to apply to stay as a visitor. My IEC expires 14th May. If the visitor visa isn't processed before then, I would be on implied status as a visitor right?
Old Apr 13th 2018, 5:04 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I unfortunately didn't get an ITA in time, so I'm now going to apply to stay as a visitor. My IEC expires 14th May. If the visitor visa isn't processed before then, I would be on implied status as a visitor right?

1. As long as you apply for an extension as a visitor before your status expired, you will have implied status until a decision is made.
Old Apr 13th 2018, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. As long as you apply for an extension as a visitor before your status expired, you will have implied status until a decision is made.
Doesn't this contradict the idea that you're not under implied status and eligible to work under an IEC if applying for a BOWP? As IEC's aren't extendable?
Old Apr 13th 2018, 5:58 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't this contradict the idea that you're not under implied status and eligible to work under an IEC if applying for a BOWP? As IEC's aren't extendable?
No.

You are on implied status as a visitor. Provided You have applied to change the conditions of your stay to being a visitor (with no work permit or permission prior to your IEC expiring). ONLY as a visitor.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...y-visitor.html