Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Been PR for many years, how to bring dependent child?

Been PR for many years, how to bring dependent child?

Old Apr 24th 2023, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Cchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Been PR for many years, how to bring dependent child?

Hello, I've been a PR for many years. My son wants to join me so he can come to university here. He is currently 17in the UK and wants to come here when he is 18, next summer.
MY main question is how can I find out how far in advance I should begin the paperwork to bring him here, ideally as a PR himself?
Thanks for looking folks
EDIT: He was listed as dependent on my original application.
Old Apr 24th 2023, 4:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Been PR for many years, how to bring dependent child?

Originally Posted by chrriiss
Hello, I've been a PR for many years. My son wants to join me so he can come to university here. He is currently 17in the UK and wants to come here when he is 18, next summer.
MY main question is how can I find out how far in advance I should begin the paperwork to bring him here, ideally as a PR himself?
Thanks for looking folks
EDIT: He was listed as dependent on my original application.
Hi, and welcome to BE.

When you say he was listed on the application, just checking but I assume that was as a non-accompanying dependent, so he didn't get PR as well?

If not, then you'll need to sponsor him for PR. I'd start asap if you want him to come here in summer 2024, as it will take a while. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-children.html

HTH.
Old Apr 24th 2023, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Cchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

When you say he was listed on the application, just checking but I assume that was as a non-accompanying dependent, so he didn't get PR as well?

If not, then you'll need to sponsor him for PR. I'd start asap if you want him to come here in summer 2024, as it will take a while. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-children.html

HTH.
Yes Non accompanying, thank you I forgot the term, it's been a while! He has been here as a resident since, just due to unfortunate circumstances. Just this time I want to make it easier from the get go. I'll get on it asap
edit. Seems my phone remembered my old log in and I didn't. Sorry for the duplicate account

Last edited by Cchris; Apr 24th 2023 at 10:47 pm. Reason: Extra account
Old Apr 25th 2023, 8:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cchris
Yes Non accompanying, thank you I forgot the term, it's been a while! He has been here as a resident since, just due to unfortunate circumstances. Just this time I want to make it easier from the get go. I'll get on it asap
edit. Seems my phone remembered my old log in and I didn't. Sorry for the duplicate account
I'll ask Admin to merge the accounts.

What is his status in Canada?
Old Apr 25th 2023, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, that was badly worded. He had been resident for a while, but returned to the UK for a few years and now wants to relocate to Canada permanently. He was here on a temporary resident permit due to family issues.
Old Apr 25th 2023, 2:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Cchris
Sorry, that was badly worded. He had been resident for a while, but returned to the UK for a few years and now wants to relocate to Canada permanently. He was here on a temporary resident permit due to family issues.
Ah, I see.

Good luck with his PR app.
Old Apr 26th 2023, 2:36 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'll ask Admin to merge the accounts.
Accounts merged.