Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Banned from Canada. Expert opinion please

Banned from Canada. Expert opinion please

Old Apr 20th 2008, 1:25 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Banned from Canada. Expert opinion please

I'm sorry but looks like someone screwed up and then tried to cover his/her "royal" rear end...

Lifetime ban... but she may come for a visit... but not longer than 2 weeks... ????

What a heck is this????? Someone just wrote new law and didn't tell anyone about it???

Seems to me more and more as one person's screw-up.

Write to The Minister directly.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Can you scan the letter (blocking your personal details) or type the text of it here?

And did you do what you said they wanted you to do - have another medical and apply for a visa?

Any non-citizen or PR can be turned back at POE immigration, that's nothing specific, just generic text surely.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe the reason for a lifetime ban was that they think she may have been given bovine growth hormone and so be at risk for human CJD. Perhaps the letter from your doctor could say that the treatment she was given wasnt bovine and so shes at no greater risk for CJD than the rest of us Beefeaters?
Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:48 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
Maybe the reason for a lifetime ban was that they think she may have been given bovine growth hormone and so be at risk for human CJD.
No reason for that to lead to a ban on visiting because this condition (which has only affected a tiny number of people) is not contagious.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
No reason for that to lead to a ban on visiting because this condition (which has only affected a tiny number of people) is not contagious.
I know this. I was looking for a reason why such a ridiculous ban was put in place.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 5:05 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Bizarre.

How much is a tourist visa?

If it's not a lot of money, I'd apply even if you don't necessarily feel comfortable going. If she's denied, you have another route of appeal and more support for your case; if she is not, then she isn't banned from Canada. There is always the chance that immigration officials can refuse entry to anyone who isn't a citizen and they'd be wrong to not mention that.

What's your ultimate goal? Do you want to wait until her treatment's finished and then reapply for PR?
Old Apr 20th 2008, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Seems to me more and more as one person's screw-up.

Write to The Minister directly.[/quote]

Andrew

At the time I wrote to Monte Solberg and then the person that took over from him. Unfortunately, we got a standard reply each time saying the Minister will not get involved in specfic cases, or words to that effect.

I also wrote to the Chief Medical Officer at CHC London, who did reply, only to say "Please do not write to me again as you must deal directly with the Visa Officer dealing with your case" That was after the Visa Officer had said the decision was to be made by the medical officer. It was after that we totally gave it up as a lost cause.

I agree with you Andrew that I believe the Visa Officer dealing with our case screwed up and she was trying to cover up her mistake.

I am quite happy to name her on this forum (for others to be aware of her), but I am not sure if this would be a violation of the forum rules.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Bizarre.

How much is a tourist visa?

If it's not a lot of money, I'd apply even if you don't necessarily feel comfortable going. If she's denied, you have another route of appeal and more support for your case; if she is not, then she isn't banned from Canada. There is always the chance that immigration officials can refuse entry to anyone who isn't a citizen and they'd be wrong to not mention that.

What's your ultimate goal? Do you want to wait until her treatment's finished and then reapply for PR?
Wait for her to finish her treatment (May 08) and get the Alder Hey Consultant to write a letter confirming this, which I will then send to CHC London. We are certainly not going to apply for PR again. Once is enough and TBH, we no longer want to go where we are clearly not wanted
Old Apr 20th 2008, 5:17 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gray C
Wait for her to finish her treatment (May 08) and get the Alder Hey Consultant to write a letter confirming this, which I will then send to CHC London. We are certainly not going to apply for PR again. Once is enough and TBH, we no longer want to go where we are clearly not wanted
This is a bureaucratic bungle by one person.... it isn't the political will of the entire country!

Have you looked into becoming a member of a rare diseases support group? They will help advocate against blatant discrimination like this.

eg

http://www.hgfound.org/

Last edited by snowbunny; Apr 20th 2008 at 5:19 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 6:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
This is a bureaucratic bungle by one person.... it isn't the political will of the entire country!
It may however be reflective of a general unwillingness in the Canadian political consciousness to challenge the decisions of rogue officials.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I must be on ignore Has she actually been banned, and what did that letter state? I don't think she's banned at all.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:19 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember reading your posts before, sounds like a major cock up to me...

However, as Biiiink rightly points out, I doubt she actually has a lifelong ban. More likely a BS letter sent from your case officer.

I would wait for treatment to finish and then apply for a 2 mth tourist visa and see what happens....
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Gray C
To be honest I do not think she would ever want to go to Canada again as a matter of principle, but we would like to know, just in case she did want to visit her aunt, uncle and cousins in a few years time
</IMG>
Thinking about it more laterally, can you not get your Canadian relatives to take it up with their local MP. They can say how desperate they are for their little niece to come and visit ............. you get the gist