Quebec query

Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:14 am
Just Joined

cnwk1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quebec query

Hi,
when we applied for CSQ, we said we wanted to live in Montreal but now have decided to live in Gatineau for a while to be closer to the family before moving to Montreal permanently. It is written Montreal on the CSQ, can we still stay in Gatineau?

Also, my brother-in-law lives in Ottawa and is about to move house. He's suggested we stay in his current house for a few weeks until he finishes moving everything and until we find a place we like to rent in Gatineau. That would save us the trouble of having to find a place to rent before going to Quebec and we would also be able start sending our stuff to his address.

I'm aware that at the airport I'll have to provide an address in Quebec to send the PR card. Is it OK to give the address of a relative in Ottawa and is it OK to live in Ottawa for a few weeks before moving to Quebec?
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:25 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Quebec query

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Your PR visa is a federal visa for the whole of Canada so you can stay where you like...
Old Apr 16th 2008, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada2006
Shouldn't be a problem at all. Your PR visa is a federal visa for the whole of Canada so you can stay where you like...
The fact that the OP mentioned the CSQ implies that they applied for immigration to Quebec, NOT via the federal route so it is not true that the OP can live anywhere in Canada, they must move to Quebec.

It doesn't matter whether it's Gatineau or Montreal as both are in Quebec - not sure if you could stay in Ottawa for a few weeks, perhaps so as it's only very temporary and you are using that time to prepare to settle in Quebec. But I'm not sure of the technicalities of that when telling the authorities - hopefully an expert can give better answers...

Last edited by adele; Apr 16th 2008 at 5:17 am.
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:29 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by adele
The fact that the OP mentioned the CSQ implies that they applied for immigration to Quebec, NOT via the federal route so it is not true that the OP can live anywhere in Canada, they must move to Quebec.

It doesn't matter whether it's Gatineau or Montreal as both are in Quebec - not sure if you could stay in Ottawa for a few weeks, perhaps so as it's only very temporary and you are using that time to prepare to settle in Quebec. But I'm not sure of the technicalities of that when telling the authorities - hopefully an expert can give better answers...
At the end of the Québec selection procedure you still must apply for a federal visa, so you can reside anywhere you wish in Canada.

You don't have to inform anyone at the CHC where you live once you land.

We applied via Québec (it makes more sense as it takes about a quarter of the time) so have been down this route!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies
We definitely intend to live in Quebec as we are more french speakers than english and for other benefits. We just want to make sure that by living a few weeks in Ottawa, we won't have any trouble.
I thought we have to give an address at the airport when we land of where we are going to live or is it just for then to send the PR card?
Old Apr 17th 2008, 1:10 am
C'est correck

Originally Posted by cnwk1980
Thanks for the replies
We definitely intend to live in Quebec as we are more french speakers than english and for other benefits. We just want to make sure that by living a few weeks in Ottawa, we won't have any trouble.
I thought we have to give an address at the airport when we land of where we are going to live or is it just for then to send the PR card?
Je ne suis pas trop sur - je crois que ce n'est que pour la carte de PR et le NAS que l'adresse est demandé. D'aillieurs si je me rapelle bien, le NAS est à demander après qu'on est sorti de l'aeroport.

De toutes façons si jamais le question est posé Ottawa et Gatineau sont si proches que c'est tout à fait reasonable que va habiter quelques semaines à Ottawa
Old Apr 17th 2008, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Je ne suis pas trop sur - je crois que ce n'est que pour la carte de PR et le NAS que l'adresse est demandé. D'aillieurs si je me rapelle bien, le NAS est à demander après qu'on est sorti de l'aeroport.

De toutes façons si jamais le question est posé Ottawa et Gatineau sont si proches que c'est tout à fait reasonable que va habiter quelques semaines à Ottawa
Ah d'accord. Merci pour ton aide
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:08 am
C'est correck

Originally Posted by cnwk1980
Ah d'accord. Merci pour ton aide
Ca me fait plaisir !
Old Apr 17th 2008, 3:22 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeesus! Moving to Gatineau by choice! That's a first.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the Québec selection procedure you still must apply for a federal visa, so you can reside anywhere you wish in Canada.

You don't have to inform anyone at the CHC where you live once you land.

We applied via Québec (it makes more sense as it takes about a quarter of the time) so have been down this route!
I also applied as a Quebec Selected applicant, and as part of the process I had to sign to say that I would settle in Quebec as part of the federal application process, if I settled elsewhere without a real attempt to settle in Quebec first, technically I could have my permanent residency withdrawn.

But as you say, spending a few weeks in Ottawa and staying with your brother a few weeks while sorting things out in Gatineau would not be a problem.

But if you decided to stay in Ottawa, a some stage it could potentially cause you a problem.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Jeesus! Moving to Gatineau by choice! That's a first.
Just for the first few months to be close to the family. We intend to move to Montreal later on or as soon as my husband gets a job in his dream games company
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road

No problem, I am still in Montreal but I could have gone anywhere. I could have even landed in Vancouver. Absolutely no problem. I think there is a hype and a mania that Quebec is a land of dragons and if you have CSQ and dont land in Quebec the government will get you. Yes there are some differences between Quebec and other provinces, but show me one place where there are none. In a nutshell NO PROBLEM...