Apply now???

Old Aug 7th 2017, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Tony246 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Apply now???

Hi All

After looking at several discussions regarding applying to emigrate to Canada, I have seen a vast array of time-scales.

Background:

I am due to leave the RAF on August 7th 2020, I can not leave sooner as I require my lump sum and pension.

Quick question:

Is it worth applying now? as I have seen some comments of individuals waiting between 24 months-45 months.

Appreciate the help
Old Aug 7th 2017, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apply now???

The timeframe is going to depend largely on the route you will be using. A standard PR application via Express entry and FSW takes around 6 months following an invite to apply. How long it takes to be invited is going to depend on what you score on CRS.

What route are you looking at and have you determined your eligibility?
Old Aug 7th 2017, 3:30 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.

I have looked at several routes, however I am unsure as to what is the best for me and the family. The CIC website states "express route" for my situation, however I am also networking for a job offer which I believe will help my chances. My score on the CRS is 346, this score worries me somewhat as it does not seem a lot, which is strange for my work experience, qualifications etc..

The main reason I asked this question is if its worth starting the process now. I think its probably best to start this process in my last year in the RAF, however time scales in other posts had worried me.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony246
Thanks for the reply.

I have looked at several routes, however I am unsure as to what is the best for me and the family. The CIC website states "express route" for my situation, however I am also networking for a job offer which I believe will help my chances. My score on the CRS is 346, this score worries me somewhat as it does not seem a lot, which is strange for my work experience, qualifications etc..

The main reason I asked this question is if its worth starting the process now. I think its probably best to start this process in my last year in the RAF, however time scales in other posts had worried me.
When you look into the points system you will see it is , deliberately, biased to university educated, young, skilled workers. Do make sure you are using the official CRS calculator. Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

If your CRS score is 346 are you getting the required 67 points to qualify for
FSW? Selection factors: federal skilled workers

IMO you are unlikely to get selected for PR with a CRS of 346. You only remain in the pool for 1 year so given the 2020 date you have suggested above now would be too early anyway. Not too early to be thinking about it but IMO too early to make any application.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Not sure about the 67 points, how do I find out?
Old Aug 7th 2017, 5:29 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

1. Go to here: Who can apply: Federal skilled workers
2. Click on the "100 hundred point grid" give yourself full marks for English.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Engineer_abroad linked to the FSW points calculator as their second link. You need 67 FSW points just to enter the pool, and then you need enough CRS points to be drawn from it (is the 346 you calculate yourself with your current age? Or your age in 2020? As people over 30 lose points every year as they get older). The CRS points are currently at around 440, but have previously gone slightly below 420.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

All points have been generated from 2020 not my age now, So I will be 45. As for the skilled workers points, it's 74 points. Do you think I should apply through this route, then apply for residence once I'm working?

Thanks for the support
Old Aug 7th 2017, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

All points have been generated from 2020 not my age now, So I will be 45. As for the skilled workers points, it's 74 points. Do you think I should apply through this route, then apply for residence once I'm working?

Thanks for the support
That is applying for residency.

Would you mind breaking your points down for each of FSW/CRS? I'm just curious how you get 74 for FSW, but only 346 for CRS - the spread isn't normally that large (I'd say most people get lower FSW points, and higher CRS - although your being 45 at the time may be a part of that as you wind up with no age points in CRS)
Old Aug 7th 2017, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Yeah sure

FSW Score

English Language - 24 points
Education - 19 points
Experience - 15 Points
Age - 2 Points
Arranged Employment - 0 Points
Spouse - 5 Points
Relatives - 5 Points

Total 70 Points (Sorry miscounted last score of 74)

CRS Score

Age - 0
Education - 119
Language - 128
2nd Language - 0
Canadian work experience - 0

Total - 247

Spouse

Education - 6
Language - 20

Total - 26

Skill

Official Language - 50

Total - 50 Points

Foreign work experience - 50

Total - 50 Points

Total - 373 (again, sorry miscounted last score of 346)

After reading about FSW and the express entry route am I right in saying:

The FSW route entitles you to work in Canada and you re apply every year with the option to apply for permanent residence. And the express entry route is a gamble, if you don't get picked you don't go.
Hope this helps

Last edited by Tony246; Aug 7th 2017 at 7:23 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

After reading about FSW and the express entry route am I right in saying:

The FSW route entitles you to work in Canada and you re apply every year with the option to apply for permanent residence. And the express entry route is a gamble, if you don't get picked you don't go.
Hope this helps
OK, yeah 70 then 373 is a more normal spread - unfortunately, a CRS score that low probably won't be drawn, but you never know, a lot can change in 3 years.

No, FSW isn't applying for annual work permits. It's applying for Permanent Residency as a Federal Skilled Worker (which is a stream of Express Entry). First, you need over 67 points to enter the FSW pool, then people above a certain CRS level (currently 440) will be drawn out of it, and invited to apply for Permanent Residency. If you don't meet the points threshold, you won't be invited.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

So at the moment it's not looking good � ����
Old Aug 7th 2017, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

gaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond repute

So at the moment it's not looking good � ����
Hi Tony,

If I've read your previous posts correctly then I assume you are 42 at the minute? That would get you 25 points if you were in a position to apply now....granted you still would be a smidgen below 400 points but if the scores drop later in the year you never know? Also, are you able to get a fast track level 7 or masters level program through the RAF in the next year or so to try and give yourself a smaLloyd points boost?

Alternatively, if your spouse/partner is younger could you make them the primary applicant?

The reason I say this is that you could in theory gain permanent residency in the next 12 months for example (August 2018) and still be able to meet the 2 out of 5 years residency requirements when you move in August 2020.

Depending on the relationship you have with your local CoC during your final posting you may or may not want to disclose that you are a permanent resident of Canada if you choose this option.

Others will be able to provide better advice on other routes, but if FSW isn't a realistic option then maybe you could consider a provincial nomination (PNP) closer to the time of your move (each province has their own immigration criteria).

Best of luck!
Old Aug 8th 2017, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

NavyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gaz_c2c
Hi Tony,

Depending on the relationship you have with your local CoC during your final posting you may or may not want to disclose that you are a permanent resident of Canada if you choose this option.

Best of luck!
Be careful on that one. If you have a SC or higher you must inform DBS NSV of a change in circumstances. Getting PR would qualify, as would being a Canadian Tax Resident. If you don't they could remove your clearance and dependant on your Service and Trade you could become unemployable and liable for an administrative discharge. If you lie on a re-qualification notice that is an offence under the Armed Forces Act and would/could present problems with the Canadians later.

I was DV with a host of other abbreviations when I got my Canadian Citizenship via the new immigration rules and being on secondment to the CAF. I informed DBS NSV and was up front about my intentions (leaving to move to Canada) and had an interview. By being up front they were happy and it was not a problem.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Gaz, NavyBoy

Thanks for the information. I dont fancy going down the route of deception, I need my pension and payout . I have played around with the CIC points calculator and I need to achieve the following:

1. Get a job offer (this would boost my points to 420)

2. Take a Level 7 qualification (point boost 10) - currently sourcing funding for a Sept 2018 start date for a CMI Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management & Leadership

3. Canadian recognised qualification (Will have mine assessed, additional 10 points)

Total - 440

Or successfully apply for an PNP, additional 600 points. Either way I have a great deal to do to achieve my goal.

Appreciate all the advice guys, thanks

Last edited by Tony246; Aug 8th 2017 at 9:33 am.