Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Where are you all ! ?

Where are you all ! ?

Old Apr 12th 2011, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

Evie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really nice
Default Where are you all ! ?

Hi everyone,
I`m relatively new to the forum, only posted a couple of times but love`looking in`. So !...where are you all ? I know some are still in UK at the moment but where are the rest of you ? in Hungary or otherwise.....Me ?? well, I`m in Dalyan, Turkey at the moment.We live here for most of the year, but we would like, and are hoping to move to Hungary later this year or early next. Would love to hear, especially, about the different areas. I`ve read quite a bit about the Hungarian language and have downloaded a couple of useful aids.....I`m still struggling with Turkish and my tongue is now considering `going into re-hab` !!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 7:11 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are you all ! ?

Hi Evie2, well we are directly to the West of Balaton in a small village in the sticks

It not actually that rural, we are about 10 minutes to the east of Kis Balaton nature reserve, 10 minutes to the west is Gelse which is a well developed village with a spa, 20 minutes to the south is Nagykanizsa town and the lake and Keszthely is about 25 minutes to the North East.

Our area straddles the popular tourist areas and the not so well known Zala Hills area to the west of us - that said, there are more British buying in the area towards the border nowadays. We chose our village because of it's setting and the view from the property. Much of Hungary is flat and many of the more scenic areas are now quite expensive, our village enabled us to buy a property which fulfilled our requirements within budget.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Evie2

We will be in Polgardi (hence my imaginative forum name) hopefully from June. Polgardi is about 10 minutes drive from the east of the lake - or it looks east on the map - dont know if locals would determine it as south. Its ten minutes from Siofok (south of the lake), 20 minutes from Szekkesfehervar (which is inbetween Budapest and the Lake and an important historical location not to mention commercial) and also about 30 minutes from Vesprem (north of the lake). We are also about 20 minutes/half hour from Baltonfured (north) and maybe about 40 minutes from Tihany. Polgardi is a town with good infrastructure, i.e. bank, small supermarket, train station hence the reason we bought there initially. We didnt want to feel cut off in a smaller village as we dont speak Hungarian (yet). We may not stay there for a long time, who knows, but for now it seemed the best option. We also have 1.5 acres of land (being used by Farmer - dont see that changing in the near future). :-)
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Austin Allegro is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Budapest.

Apparently there are a few Turkish words in Hungarian, a leftover from the Ottoman Empire, so you might have a leg up! (Believe me - every little helps when trying to learn Hungarian...)
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:18 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sarvar here, close to the Austrian border, very handy
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point

Off topic but yes there are some Turkish words- or at least words of Turkish origin. My Turkish friend who lives here was pointing this out just the other day. Of course the Turkish occupation of Hungary is a bit of a sore point with some Hungarians so maybe do not sing this fact from the rooftops. I am in Siofok at the moment but moving to Budapest next month. I would not really recommend Siofok- if you want Balaton then I would recommend the North shore. Otherwise the area around Eger is lovely but can be a little expensive. The area of Tolna county around Tamasi has lovely rolling countryside...
Jealous of your present location- I wish that I could swap.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Evie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really niceEvie2 is just really nice

Hi everyone, and thank you to those have taken time to reply. I`ve had a great time looking-up all the places where you are, and `visiting` on-line !! Please keep sending.
Yes, I have certainly realised the `Turkish connection`, which I don`t think I`ll mention too much when I arrive !!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the way the world is going these days I think you will be well off out of any muslim country.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:30 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Yes, the way the world is going these days I think you will be well off out of any muslim country.

Wow, that's a bit of a sweeping statement and could be taken as a tad racist
Might be worth remembering that some forum users are Muslim and may be offended by this!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 8:37 am
Account Closed

stromnessdundee is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Rural Hungary. Please do not make such statements on here- I find them offensive....
Old Apr 15th 2011, 9:00 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

When in Hungary in a village near Tapolca, west / north of Lake Balaton. Great area & worth a drive round. We are just off route 84 in the countryside with great views. Keszthely ( 40 mins) & Veszprem (45 mins) all in striking distance & local town Tapolca has beautiful architecture & small warm water lake & former mill Hotel Gabriella in centre.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:29 am
Just Joined

JackyB will become famous soon enoughJackyB will become famous soon enough

Hi Evie2, I still live in the UK, but have bought a holiday home in Balatonlelle, where I go 5 to 6 times a year, fortunately its great in summer months with annual wine festival and im also only two minutes from lake, but unfortunately its dead in the winter months with nothing open ie bars restaurants etc, I only go in Winter to relax and work on house, garden. but must admit i do like the snow.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

Is the Home Office being racist when they advise people to avoid travelling to certain countries? It just seems to me that more and more Muslim countries are experiencing violent uprisings etc and innocent expats could be at personal risk by simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 12:50 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Is the Home Office being racist when they advise people to avoid travelling to certain countries? It just seems to me that more and more Muslim countries are experiencing violent uprisings etc and innocent expats could be at personal risk by simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Seriously, I wouldn't even attempt to justify your comment. The home office analogy is irrelevant, the home office mentions specific countries and the risk to travellers at certain times. Nowhere do they warn all non Muslims not to visit any Muslim country!
What exactly constitutes a Muslim country to you? Do you actually mean a Middle East country or an Asian country or just any country which has a majority of Muslims? Did you watch the Christians and Muslims in Tahir Square as they formed protective circles around one another during their respective prayers? The protests have nothing to do with religion, they are about democracy and if you can not differentiate between them or take the time to consider your comment before posting, then perhaps you should refrain from posting on the subject.
The OP asked about areas in Hungary, she did not mention why she wanted to leave Turkey, so, why you felt it necessary to advise people to move from any Muslim country is a mystery to me.

Last edited by Rural Hungary; Apr 15th 2011 at 12:55 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Aahh....I think I should point out that our decision to move to Hungary from Turkey has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that it is a predominately Muslim country. Since living here, for the past couple of years (we have residency) and visiting for many years prior to that, we have found the people kind and welcoming. Also, they are equally appalled by the actions of extremists who give all Muslims a bad name. Turkey is roughly three times the size of the UK and I cannot speak for all areas. Just as I would not want to judge every Christian, Hindu, Sikh, Muslim or atheist.....or for that matter, I would not want them to judge me either. Ataturk, who was responsible for reforming Turkey many years ago, is still respected today. It is a secular country. But, before anyone gets too political.....because this isn`t what this reply is about.....Yes, Turkey has problems the same as every other country in the world.
Anyway, what I really want to know about is... Hungary and the different areas where you all live..... Evie2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.