Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Vinegar : I'm confused!

Vinegar : I'm confused!

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 6:17 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vinegar : I'm confused!

Hi Lilyflower, just as well you found this because believe me it would only have been edible by those with VERY strong stomachs

I don't know where I went wrong this year I have ended up with no gherkins, no beetroot, no melons but 6 different types of squash totaling over 20 plants

Any swaps?

As such, I am discovering new and yummy recipes for squash, the favourites so far are spicy squash and bean burgers and squash lasagne (which must be delicious as the children asked for it again )
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:25 am
Just Joined

lilyflower is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rural Hungary
The squash lasagne sounds interesting, can you use butternut squash for it? If so could I have the recipe?
The garden is late this year, peppers, we seem to have a mixture from the plants I bought( had to cos my seedlings were ruined in one of the storms we had) but it looks like we will have a good crop from them! Also over run with cucumbers, they are the small fat sort( again grown from plants I was given) , are these the ones to pick small as gerkins? If so we have plenty to spare at the moment.
I am still getting used to being able to grow these crops outdoors instead of a greenhouse, it's wonderful seeing what will grow and how well they do!!
Old Sep 4th 2010, 8:24 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lilyflower, sorry for the delay in replying but I don't seem to have a minute to myself these days!

Gherkins usually have small spike like bits on them which you rub off, though you can also get spike less ones.

For the lasagna you can use any type of squash, I have used marrow, spaghetti squash, pumpkin and patty pan so butternut squash will work well.

Do you know how to make the cheese sauce? If so I will just give you the recipe for the squash sauce, otherwise I will write out both for you.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

I'm only just reading through all the subjects and replies on the site and I came across this one. I wouldn't normally reply as it seems that usually you can scramble a solution from all the replies. My mother (was Hungarian) always made salad with vinegar, and even used to buy in Hyngary to bring home to the UK. You have to dilute almost all the vinegar you buy in hungary. She used to dilute 1 to 6 upto 1 to 10 depending on the vinegar and adding 2 to 4 large tablespoons of sugar. When the sugar had dissolved then you add the lettace, onions paprika etc. It can last for 2 days and is Ok to leave marinating. Don't know if this helps in any way.
I'll carry on reading through the rest of the threads.