Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

UK Referendum: It's Leave.

UK Referendum: It's Leave.

Old Jun 26th 2016, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Referendum: It's Leave.

Originally Posted by jetsam1
So basic conversational Hungarian then? Say hello, how are you and basic statements about you and your life? Ok, that's achievable......

I can order beer (sor) in Hungarian ..... is that enough?
Old Jun 26th 2016, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenTiger
I know the difference between zsemle and kifli!
Old Jun 26th 2016, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

If you can pass an envelope stuffed with cash that should suffice

Just joking peeps!
Old Jun 26th 2016, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see this ...
Brexit Referendum: Hungary Urges UK Voters To Remain In The EU In Whole-Page Newspaper Advert - Hungary Today
Old Jun 26th 2016, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting. I always had Orban down as a Euro sceptic.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollypaprika
Interesting. I always had Orban down as a Euro sceptic.
Not really Euro sceptic but doesn't like being dictated to by Brussels about things that should be internal affairs. Also I think he's very much Hungary for the Hungarians, hence severe opposition to any refugee quotas imposed by Brussels (aka Angela Merkel).

For example if you think about the flak that Hungary got for putting up fences to protect the external boarders of the Schengen Zone as required by the treaty is it any wonder that he gets cross with the EU.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am still not panicking or seeking a change of nationality.

In fact I would go so far as to say I think there is a very good chance the UK will not actually implement Article 50.
The referendum has given the world and especially Brussels a severe shock, the impending loss of a major contributor to EU funds etc may very well have the effect of making them more amenable to British wishes in future.

It is still less than a week since the vote, and when all the scare mongers and headless chickens settle down I think sometime in the next two years the practical realists will find a sensible solution.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by duztee
It is still less than a week since the vote, and when all the scare mongers and headless chickens settle down I think sometime in the next two years the practical realists will find a sensible solution.
My sentiments exactly. No knee jerk reactions required. I really cannot see it having such a massive impact on expats in the short to medium term. i have seen some horrible things being spouted on various pages on FB, one French expat page seems particularly vociferous. I guess if you are in the real estate business selling houses to Brits, then the uncertainly could have a very large impact
Old Jun 27th 2016, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

jetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond reputejetsam1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that no-one now wants to invoke Article 50. I honestly don't think 48-52 is enough of a majority for such a momentous decision especially as all the promises from the Leave campaign are being shown up as utter rubbish. Scotland could potentially veto it, Northern Ireland could have ramifications no-one seems to have thought about and yeah, it's only advisory and Parliament could vote it down comfortably as Cameron never put any legal mechanism in place to make it binding as with the Alternative Vote referendum.

Just watching the fall out I just have no faith in any of them back in the UK to be remotely useful or sensible. And lots of people I know who are genuinly very nice and all about social justice are saying that they have no interest whatsoever in being part of a Brexit Britain and will not act to help a post Brexit society at all. Of course if it even happens anyway. It was an awful campaign that makes me embaressed but unsurprised. Okay that's getting too political for this board now.

I'm worried about the EU now going into full punishment mode.

Anyway. The uncertainty is already affecting us as I am concerned enough about the long term future to start thinking twice about starting the business we were planning. And if I do want to sell the UK house I can forget about that too. The small rental income is looking smaller and smaller as well.....
Old Jun 27th 2016, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

What could happen to changing driving licence from UK to Hungarian? Wonder if the switch will be as straightforward as it is now? Or am I thinking too far ahead.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

duztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond reputeduztee has a reputation beyond repute

....... Or am I thinking too far ahead.
Definitely Fen! Have a palinka and chill :-)
Old Jun 27th 2016, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond reputewolfi has a reputation beyond repute

A bit OT:

First thing I learned in Hungarian: Bor is not beer (or Bier in German)!

I'm quite sure that countries like Hungary, Croatia etc will make it easy for the expats (and of course tourists from Britain) - because they need their money!

My sister's son in law who's Irish however is worried about his job with a bank in London ...
Old Jun 27th 2016, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by duztee
Definitely Fen! Have a palinka and chill :-)
My wife has drank all the palinka so I'll have to chill another way.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

What could happen to changing driving licence from UK to Hungarian? Wonder if the switch will be as straightforward as it is now? Or am I thinking too far ahead.

Yes, I wondered about that as I already have a Hungarian licence. I wonder how easy it would be to change it back to a UK one if I need to? I think I still have the paper part of the UK one so that might help.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fidobsa
Yes, I wondered about that as I already have a Hungarian licence. I wonder how easy it would be to change it back to a UK one if I need to? I think I still have the paper part of the UK one so that might help.
I think it should be quite easy for DVLA to find details of your old UK driving licence because the reference no. is usually made up of your surname, initials and date of birth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.