Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Painting / decorating prices

Painting / decorating prices

Old Jul 29th 2016, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

lulu122 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Painting / decorating prices

We have been quoted a price of 120,000 forints to paint our apartment (about 56m2) and plaster 2 walls in Heviz. Does this sound reasonable - seems high to me?
Old Jul 29th 2016, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Painting / decorating prices

Depends on what they are doing. Does it include materials and does it include gloss painting of doors, door frames etc? If it is just the labour charge for painting walls and ceilings it does sound a bit high. The ceiling height also makes a difference.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Peter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond reputePeter_in_Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

also are they hacking off the old plaster first? I would expect about 2500 per hour for him and his laborer
Old Jul 29th 2016, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

thanks - the price is to plaster over some white insulation tiles (skim them) which go on one wall in the kitchen, up the stairs on one side and one wall in the bedroom and to paint all the door frames and walls. The ceilings are standard height. its just the labour cost too.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

This posts surprises, but then it doesn't - It is surprising because when British people buy a property in an expensive area of Hungary for example, which they probably would of paid peanuts for in comparison to UK property prices, they complain of high building costs. Meaning, they think because Hungary is a poorer country somehow the labor costs should be dirt cheap. Are Hungarians skilled tradesman, perhaps with families, not allowed to earn a decent living?

Furthermore, the price quoted is still cheap (i.e. a normal/standard price). 120,000 Ft is around £327 in today's money and for that the builder has costs, taxes, wages, etc to pay out of it. In the UK I just paid for a little skimming in the hallway and tiny kitchen at a cost of £300.

It is not surprising because British people like to complain when there is no need to (and yes, I am British - White English).

NOTE: This is not an attack on British people or the people in this post. It is an attack on those who think Hungarian labor should be dirt cheap. Just consider what things would cost you in the UK - Rant over!
Old Jul 29th 2016, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

I just want to be treated like a local and not ripped off, which is what seems to happen sometimes in Hungary when foreigners are involved-I have been told by locals here that there's a 20 per cent extra amount put on foreigners bills in some cases. we have a very limited budget and this is the reason I asked - not because I don't want to give someone a decent living.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Szeged is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it can happen, in any country, but you have live with that fact. However, it cannot be said that £327 is so high. Plus even Hungarians get 'ripped off' using Hungarians, just as British get ripped off by British. Also, what is the alternative? You send a British worker over to Hungary who then has to translate everything, if they can,.....

I understand Lulu22 that you just want to pay a local price and are just inquirying here if the price quoted is okay. As said, not an attack on you. Have you tried using a local Hungarian to help you with quotes, etc? Unfortunately, British and other nationalities are stereotyped as "being rich", hence (if possible) you should try and find a local for future work/repairs needed.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute

If I were doing that work in UK I would charge £12 per hour and the painting would take me 2 days, assuming I had the right equipment. That would be about £200 plus the plastering which I would find someone else to do that part.
Old Jul 31st 2016, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

stargate1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Lulu 122. GENERALLY SPEAKING There are lots of 'cowboys ' in Hungary as well. They promise you the earth only to disappoint. In my experience its better, if you can aford it, to get a professional in who will give you a receipt for the work. Its more expensive but the job should be done correctly and be pleasing to you. The alternative is a cheap untrained decorater and OMG at the end of it. One more alternative: I just painted my kitchen last week, it took a couple of days packing, cleaning etc...but the whole thing cost me 9000ft. Maybe you dont want to or cant paint it yourself. Thats fair enough.
Its difficult because they are friendly and helpful and do mean well, but the finished product often disappoints. I have sent them away with a flea in their ear on more than one occasion and quite rightly so.

You have to weigh up what you want. This ,of course, does not apply if someone has been recommended to you.

Best of luck with the painting....
Old Jul 31st 2016, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stargate1234
Dear Lulu 122. GENERALLY SPEAKING There are lots of 'cowboys ' in Hungary as well. They promise you the earth only to disappoint. In my experience its better, if you can aford it, to get a professional in who will give you a receipt for the work. Its more expensive but the job should be done correctly and be pleasing to you. The alternative is a cheap untrained decorater and OMG at the end of it. One more alternative: I just painted my kitchen last week, it took a couple of days packing, cleaning etc...but the whole thing cost me 9000ft. Maybe you dont want to or cant paint it yourself. Thats fair enough.
Its difficult because they are friendly and helpful and do mean well, but the finished product often disappoints. I have sent them away with a flea in their ear on more than one occasion and quite rightly so.

You have to weigh up what you want. This ,of course, does not apply if someone has been recommended to you.

Best of luck with the painting....
Or maybe yourself might find advertisement Like I seen in Nottingham on side of a Transit Van driven by a man wearing a Turban "Now you tried the Cowboys maybe the Indians can Do a Better Job" digger47

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 31st 2016 at 11:08 pm. Reason: fix quote
Old Jul 31st 2016, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

stargate1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quite possible.
or even....

< snip >

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 31st 2016 at 11:09 pm. Reason: It needed translating
Old Jul 31st 2016, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

mawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this pointmawood47 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stargate1234
Quite possible.
or even....

آپ مونگ پھلی ادا تو تم بندر ہو جاؤ!
Don't under stand me white man digger47
Old Aug 20th 2016, 5:43 am
Just Joined

Zsolt is an unknown quantity at this point

painters earn 12-15k a day.
obviously the workers not the contractor.
56 sqm is just the floorspace, so that is the ceiling.

56x 800 huf_45k the cost of the ceiling painting. ( this is my price)
there are sidewalls as well, an UNFORESEEN situations.

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 20th 2016 at 10:21 pm.