Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

hungarian driving licence

hungarian driving licence

Old Aug 14th 2010, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

hotpot will become famous soon enoughhotpot will become famous soon enough
Default hungarian driving licence

can't find the topic now,but a member did do a posting about how to get a hungarian driving licence.
who ever they were i would like to thank you for all the info. as hubby had just got his hungarian licence and was no problem at all thanks for your help.
the only difference was he only paid 1500 ft

thanks again
Old Aug 14th 2010, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

daid85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: hungarian driving licence

Hi ive done a search and cant find much info about a hungarian licence, what process did your husband go through? How simple was it to obtain?

Thanks
Old Aug 15th 2010, 8:56 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hotpot, lovely meeting up the other day and hope to do so again soon

Daid85, welcome to the forum, apologies for not being around yesterday to welcome you. Typical, I have a couple of days off and the forum springs to life
Anyhow, if you need any help just holler and I believe the thread Hotpot was referring to is here
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

hi rural
yes it was lovely meeting you and hope to do it again soon. if you could let me know when you are all going out to dinner and where, then we will try and make it.

yes the above was the topic i was looking for.

it was so easy. hubby is comming up 70 so needed a new licence.
doctors first for an eye test. it was numbers only no letters, no medical needed.
council office next with letter from doctor and fill out form, they will help you. need old licence residents permit and passport. take your yellow docket to posta and pay amount they want. take receipt back and a temp licence is issued. you can then collect your new one two weeks later
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:54 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hotpot, wow that it so much easier than in Bulgaria, much less "red tape". I must admit I have found so many things here easier than I would have imagined, of course it does help when you can speak at least a smidgen of the language.

I have to check dates for the get together as we have friends arriving the beginning of September though I have a feeling that one arrives the first week and an other the second week and then my dearest friends of all don't arrive until the end of September so I might have to have three separate get togethers I would also love to tie it in with Michelles dates as she is here until the end of September except for when she is in Scotland for the wedding (I'm assuming she mentioned the wedding to you and that you know what I am talking about)

I will try and check the dates later today and see what we can arrange
Take care
Old Oct 10th 2010, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotpot
can't find the topic now,but a member did do a posting about how to get a hungarian driving licence.
who ever they were i would like to thank you for all the info. as hubby had just got his hungarian licence and was no problem at all thanks for your help.
the only difference was he only paid 1500 ft

thanks again
That was probably me .... thanks for this info. Very helpful. I'm not planning to move to Hungary for another 10 years which will be when I retire.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:23 am
Just Joined

Chris163 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: hungarian driving licence

Hello everybody,

I'd like to know how to get a hungarian driving licence (car/motorcycle)? Can someone with experience help me ? How long it takes, price, driving school where you get it, is it difficult to get, documents needed, etc..
Thank you very much in advance. It's very important to me.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

hi chris

have you got a driving licence issued by any other country.

if not i would advise you going to a driving school and perhaps they can help you.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Chris163 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks hotpot for your reply.
Yes, I already have the car license (with the stamp of 125cm3 motorcycle) from Europe.
I just need to pass the motorcycle A type (missed the practical test once).
Any informations that could help me?
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 8:35 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if anyone has recent experience about how to get a Hungarian driving licence if one already has a UK one? Any reports of how would be much appreciated.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond reputePaulinEger has a reputation beyond repute

As was previously posted above, it was pretty much the same process. Doctors 1st for a basic medical test (blood pressure, blood sugar, heart beat), eye test then over to the okmanyiroda (documents office), fill in the necessary paperwork, have photo taken, pay relevant amount and then return a couple of weeks later (or when they send you an sms) to collect new licence. They only last 5 years or 3 if you hgv/psv entitlement and you get fined if you get stopped by the Police and your licence has expired.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 10:20 am
Veszprém Megye

John Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeJohn Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks - presumably the medical applies to everyone, whether of retirement age or not?

John
Old Aug 25th 2011, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

riahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the roughriahun is a jewel in the rough

Yes, you have to have medical no matter how old you are. As far as I remember, under the age of 40, you'll get your licence for 10 years, between 40 and 60, for 5 years. You need to pay for your medical test at your GP, again, don't remember very well but I think under 40 it costs 6500 Fts, over 40 it is less as it will only be valid for 5 years.

You also need to pay 4000 Fts at the Okmányiroda - a lot of burocracy!!!! I think it depends on the size of the office, if it's big enough, they usually take a digital photo of you but if it's a small one, you might have to take 2 passport photos with you.

What really shocked me was that it takes 2-3 weeks by the time they send your Hungarian licences out to you and until you get it - as they take your British one away - you mustn't drive. I couldn't believe it but after even ringing the police station, I still got the same answer. If there are 2 of you, it might be worth doing them one at a time.

Ria
Old Sep 10th 2011, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

FenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond reputeFenTiger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by riahun
Yes, you have to have medical no matter how old you are. As far as I remember, under the age of 40, you'll get your licence for 10 years, between 40 and 60, for 5 years. You need to pay for your medical test at your GP, again, don't remember very well but I think under 40 it costs 6500 Fts, over 40 it is less as it will only be valid for 5 years.

You also need to pay 4000 Fts at the Okmányiroda - a lot of burocracy!!!! I think it depends on the size of the office, if it's big enough, they usually take a digital photo of you but if it's a small one, you might have to take 2 passport photos with you.

What really shocked me was that it takes 2-3 weeks by the time they send your Hungarian licences out to you and until you get it - as they take your British one away - you mustn't drive. I couldn't believe it but after even ringing the police station, I still got the same answer. If there are 2 of you, it might be worth doing them one at a time.

Ria
If you are disabled the medical is every three years. I know this for a fact because I have many deaf friends in Hungary.