Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Hungary
Reload this Page >

Car Hire Companies & Experiences

Car Hire Companies & Experiences

Old Aug 17th 2010, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Eagerbeave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best rates for car hire Ferihegy?

Could anyone help with car hire rates at Ferihegy?

Are there any good deals or promotions available?

Many thanks.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 10:04 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best rates for car hire Ferihegy?

Hi Eagerbeave,

We usually use either www.decodecarhire.co.uk or www.carhire3000.com when hiring a car.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 18th 2010, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Best rates for car hire Ferihegy?

Hello Eager

I have found that atlaschoice.com was the cheapest for me. I suggest you include CWD collision waiver damage as this year I had an accident which was not my fault and there was no charge for me whatsoever an dreplacement car was provided fuss free.
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:43 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Rural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond reputeRural Hungary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Hire Companies & Experiences

Hi, I have copied the relevant posts to this thread so that they are easier to find
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:45 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Default Re: Car Hire Companies & Experiences

Originally Posted by Goo
When I used to fly to Sarmellek, which was about 10-15 minutes drive (Hungarian speed limits!) to my place, I had a really good relationship with the Hertz Rent-a-Car in Heviz (they had a stand at the airport also).
For about 2 years I used to arrive every month for 3-4 days. I used to rent a Suzuki Swift for FT5500 per day. They were excellent. Back in 2008 I contacted them as I was boarding the plane in Stansted asking for a vehicle high off the road for more straight-backed seating position (I had some back problems following an total idiot ramming my car as I was stationary!). Do you know when I arrived at Fly-Balaton, in the time it took me to fly there from UK, they had a 4x4 brought from Budapest for me! That was customer service. I couldn't fault them, but unfortunately the local/airport authorities and Ryanair pussyfooting around back-handers and arraogance, Hertz wasn't getting enough work to justify the overheads and therefore had to close their office in Airport then Heviz. I am afraid Hertz Ferihegy office doesn't quite measure up to my local chaps.
However, since flying to Budapest I have used autoeurope.co.uk and their local contact collects you from the terminal and takes you to their place which is just across the road from Ferihegy 1 and they are excellent also. I also spoke to them directly and they may be able to give me a better deal than what I pay online. I have already contacted them and will be arriving there in 2-3 weeks, if all works well I will report here accordingly.
We shall see....
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:45 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by Les and Jenn
We now use travel supermarket.com and they come up with the best deal - whoever we rent from we always end up renting from Thrifty in Budapest near the airport but it seems to be auto europe where you get the good deals - they must have some sort of deal with Thrifty because if you go through Thrifty direct its far too much money - try the travelsupermarket.com route works for us.
J
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:46 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by stromnessdundee
My brother used Autoeurope, they were fine and about the cheapest he could find.
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:47 pm
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by richardmc
The car hire company "AMC" via "Atlaschoice" do not charge for cross border to Hungary thanks to RuralHungary for the guidance
Old May 3rd 2011, 11:11 pm
Goo
Just Joined

Goo is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Car Hire Companies & Experiences

Hi All,
I had made contact with Thrifty-Dollar via email and arranged a car for last week's trip and my next (end of May). For a Citroen Xsara Picasso (it's a big enough for 4 people+luggage or 5 people crammed in with luggage!!) they charged 200Euros (for 7 days rental) including highway sticker and 1 extra driver (15Euros). But beware that there is an additional charge for after hours. Having said that they are open until 23:00 Mon-Fri and until 20:00 Sat-Sun. (they will wait for you outside these hours but there is a charge, it's best to clarify this when booking).
For more information or quote you can email them on [email protected] or [email protected]
They are very helpful, they will pick you up and drop you back at the airport for the flight.
I always choose to deal with the local companies directly (where possible) instead of faceless online brokers.
I am going again at the end of May and they already reserved the same car for me. Well I'd say give them a go and let me know how you get on.
Best Regards...
Goo
Old May 3rd 2011, 11:20 pm
Goo
Just Joined

Exclamation Re: Best rates for car hire Ferihegy?

Originally Posted by Rural Hungary
Hi Eagerbeave,

We usually use either www.decodecarhire.co.uk or www.carhire3000.com when hiring a car.

Hope this helps
Hi Rural,

I tried to check www.decodecarhire.co.uk but this link takes you to a US rental company. Some further googling took me to following link: http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews244620.html - it seems this company has folded with some debts.
I just thought I share this info.

Thanks,

Goo
Old May 3rd 2011, 11:30 pm
Goo
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: Car Hire Companies & Experiences

Hi All,

Just another point I remembered; with regards to Collision damage Waiver!

For the last few years I have been buying annual car hire excess insurance from insurance4carhire.co.uk it used to be £50 but this year I paid £37 for an annual Europewide 31 day per trip cover. This covers your excess. There are no limits to number of trips you make. The only rule is that the hire location must be something like 125-150km from your home address!
I thankfuly did not need to use it but as you would have guessed, the idea is that, you decline hire car company's CDW and in the event of you paying any excess you claim from insurance4carhire.co.uk upon returning to UK!

I know that most hire companies charge 5-10 Euros perday for the CDW so it seems viable. I hope never to have to use it!!

Thanks
Goo.
Old May 4th 2011, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Pollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of lightPollypaprika is a glorious beacon of light

We used Thrifty Dollar the last time we were in Hungary (Feb) and found them very good. Got a nifty Fiat Punto - cant remember the exact price but it was not expensive.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

richardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura aboutrichardmc has a spectacular aura about

We recently visited Balaton and had a rental car from Zagreb Croatia booked via "Fastcarhire".
We paid a deposit £20.00 to them and was instructed the remainder was to be paid to the Croatian rental company in Euro's when we got to Zagreb Airport. When we got ther the rentalk company stated that they do not accept Euro's and they need to be paid in Croatian Kunas. So when I got to our property I visited the best exchange shop in Kesthely and had to change the Euro's into Forints then into Kunas which due to exchange rates cost me about £30.00 sterling more to do this, I was not impressed.
On our return to England I notified Fastcarhire and complained. In a nut shell they gave me a "goodwill" credit of £10.00 WOWY, I replied that the "Goodwill" implied I was at fault and told them that it was their fault they had given me incorrect instructions. It has been over a week now and they have not replied. So beware of Fastcarhire whos rates were very good as the car hire company in Croatia do not charge extra insurance to be covered in Hungary . And beware of car hire companies as this rental company "Thrifty" tried to charge me CWD even though I refused on collection of the car and explained I have my own annual policy.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 10:50 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by tapsony
Are there many car hire companies at this airport and can any of our members indicate what the daily/weekly rates might be.
Copied from Flybalaton thread.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 10:51 am
I bite my thumb at thee

Originally Posted by richardmc
Hello Tapsony - ref Zagreb car hire see my comments on the car hire experience thread, also at the airport there are about 7 car hire companies plying for business but you will need Croatian Kunas and make sure the car hire cost includes insuranceHungary. Car hire "Thrifty" cover Hungary in their quote but will try to sell/charge you for extra CWD insurance.
As above

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.