Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

A uk car in Germany

A uk car in Germany

Old Jun 15th 2003, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

GISA is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face A uk car in Germany

I have my uk car in germany and like to keep it longer . Does anybody has got experience what to do ? Is it posseble to insure it in Germany for a short while?
Somebody has told me that by law an insurer must cover you third party anywhere in Europe for the duration of the policy"?

Can anybody confirm that?!
Old Jun 28th 2003, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

Acrobat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Insured or not?

A German insurance company could insure the vehicle on it's chassis number or VIN, as opposed to the No' plate... l know AXA in France can do this... your 3rd party cover from the UK is not third party in truth, it is the legal minimum (eg; like Road Traffic Act only) and in an accident you may find German law dictates it covers only a preportion of damages - not all. It is relatively easy to re-register your car, why baulk at doing so? You will also find German road users more courteous if you have German plates :-)