Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Moving to Germany with a non EU spouse

Moving to Germany with a non EU spouse

Old Nov 17th 2015, 8:48 am
Just Joined

spidergirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Germany with a non EU spouse

Hi! Does anyone have an idea what kind of visa my Turkish husband needs to get for us to enter Germany together with the intention of settling there? According to the numerous German websites I've checked they won't change his valid Schengen visa into a residence permit. The German consulate in Istanbul doesn't seem to know what to do either.... Thanks a lot for any help
Old Nov 17th 2015, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Germany with a non EU spouse

Are you a British citizen ? That is an important question. As an EU citizen you have the right to go to Germany and work there. You have the right to be accompanied by your spouse. Someone will come along and give more details of what you have to do.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 8:58 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

The usual process involves going to the Ausländeramt in your region, with legally German-translated copies of your marriage certificate, passports, proof of residence, etc. They will tell you any other requirements.

If your application is successful, then your spouse will be given a 3-year Aufenthaltstitel, in his/her passport, which, if your spouse isn't convicted of a crime or other offence in that time, can be subsequently replaced with a permanent one.

Be advised that during the application process, which can take up to 6 weeks, your spouse's passport will be in the possession of the Ausländeramt, and so international travel will not be possible during that period. Also, if you fail to renew the Aufenthaltstitel just before it expires, you will be ineligible for a permanent one - you'll get another 3-year version.

Last edited by amideislas; Nov 17th 2015 at 9:01 am.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 11:04 am
Just Joined

ha sorry, i forgot to say, yes i'm British.... i think i understand the application process in germany but what about which visa he needs to enter the country? any brits out there with a non eu spouse who have done a similar thing? moving together to germany? thanks for your quick responses guys
Old Nov 17th 2015, 12:02 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spidergirl
ha sorry, i forgot to say, yes i'm British.... i think i understand the application process in germany but what about which visa he needs to enter the country? any brits out there with a non eu spouse who have done a similar thing? moving together to germany? thanks for your quick responses guys
I was of the impression he already had a schengen visa .. you mentioned "changing" it. I'm no expert on schengen visas for Turks, but I have to believe there's a simple procedure for applying for one. He'll probably only have 90 days, so you need to get your marriage cert legally translated to German (and apostilled), and as soon as he or both of you arrive, you need to visit the Ausländeramt sofort.

Where were you married? Often, the town hall or regional marriage authority in the locality of your marriage can offer translation and apostille of your marriage cert. Certainly the apostille. If there is not translation service, and you must have it translated in Germany by an official legal translator, it's ridiculously expensive. Probably €500 or more.
Old Nov 17th 2015, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

yes he has a schengen visa valid until august 2016 but a few different people have told us that he cant go to the auslanderamt with a schengen visa and ask them to give him a residence permit. So not sure which entrance visa he needs.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 7:26 am
Banned

Originally Posted by spidergirl
yes he has a schengen visa valid until august 2016 but a few different people have told us that he cant go to the auslanderamt with a schengen visa and ask them to give him a residence permit. So not sure which entrance visa he needs.
He can if you both show up with a marriage cert, properly translated and apostilled, requesting his permanent residence under marriage rights as a legal EU resident. That presumes of course, that >you< are already a permanant resident of Germany. If not, you should take care of that first.

In any case, don't listen to me or anyone else. Visit your local Ausländeramt and get it from the horse's mouth.

Last edited by amideislas; Nov 18th 2015 at 7:36 am.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 7:45 am
Just Joined

oh right, thanks a lot for your help