Leaving the EU.

Old Nov 17th 2015, 11:16 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving the EU.

Originally Posted by amideislas
Well, I'm not convinced the "will of the people" will have much to do with it. Surely the evidence so far isn't consistent with that.

The chronic crises of the EU have forced the EU to assume central control of a number of what were previously sovereign held rights.

For those in the Eurozone, following the debt crisis, the EU (ECB) necessarily assumed far more economic policy control, literally, taking far more control of sovereign budgets than ever before. Nobody voted for this, it was a basic necessity, which (as a side-effect) puts the EU in a far more central governance role - with respect to the economy anyway.

The migrant crisis is another example. No member state can solve this crisis in any sovereign way. Only the EU can effectively solve EU border control.
K
As you can see, each member state has a bit different view of how they manage their borders. And that will never work, unless the EU abandons schengen, which, frankly, is a key component of the whole European project. It won't give up schengen, but what it will do (I believe), out of pure necessity, is to implement a more "federal" style of border control, more or less assuming control of Europe's fringe borders, and removing (or greatly diminishing) that responsibility from sovereign state control.

And again, nobody will "vote" for this. It will simply be the only way to solve the problem.

Again, I suspect that one day, Europe will just wake up and realise it has become the "Federal Republic of Europe" it was always intended to be, without a fight, without a vote, but just because there wasn't any other way to solve each crisis.

And Britain... well, becoming a province of the Federal Republic of Europe is not in Britain's future. Wrong DNA.
When push comes to shove, the will of the people will play a big part as is happening now where the countries taking the strongest security measures on their borders have the overall backing of their populations to do so.

This also applies to their way of solving the migrant crisis. If certain countries don't want them they simply won't take them and I doubt if EU threats of penalties will have any effect at all other than cause them further offence and drive an even bigger wedge between national govts and the EU.
I see Poland is yet another country which has just made its position clear by refusing to accept its intended EU quota of immigrants.

As for Schengen, it may continue to exist, but in name only.
With even bigger inflows of migrants expected over the next couple of years, the so called existing temporary measures look set to appear much more permanent and continue well into the future.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Steve_Turin is an unknown quantity at this point

It is important to ensure you are registered to vote for the Brexit referendum. Expats in the EU have very little to gain from an exit and a lot at risk . This is the website to register to vote: https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

Cheers
Old Apr 9th 2016, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I don't wish to upset anyone, but I don't believe that anyone living in another country should be able to vote on anything concerning what is best for those living in the UK.

Expats have chosen to live elsewhere, so should not try to determine what is best for the tens of millions of people they have decided to leave behind. When I lived in Australia for half a century, I would never have voted in a UK election even if it had been possible. I made my choice to live there, and I would have considered it inappropriate to try and impose my will on the UK with a vote.

I have heard many ridiculous statements about leaving the EU, including that Brits would not be able to fly between European cities, yet before Britain joined the Common Market which became the EU, there were no such restrictions.

Please tell me what UK expats fear if Brexit wins, do their adopted countries not provide for their needs? I would like to live in Germany where I have good German friends, unfortunately with my health issues, the cost of health insurance is prohibitive. Thus I have to make the choice of living in the UK or return to Oz. Life is about needs and choices, expats must consider this when they wish to enjoy the benefits of living in another country.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 3:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
I don't wish to upset anyone, but I don't believe that anyone living in another country should be able to vote on anything concerning what is best for those living in the UK. .....
Anyone with a British passport has the option at any time to return to the UK, or go to the UK if they were born overseas. It seems entirely reasonable to me that anyone who has a British passport should be able to vote on the sort of Britain that they would return to.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

But if a British passport-holder is unwise enough to marry a non-British-passport holder, the rules of the game change ! It seems that Public Policy is now to encourage Endogamy !
Old Apr 11th 2016, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Steve_Turin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aries
I don't wish to upset anyone, but I don't believe that anyone living in another country should be able to vote on anything concerning what is best for those living in the UK.

Expats have chosen to live elsewhere, so should not try to determine what is best for the tens of millions of people they have decided to leave behind. When I lived in Australia for half a century, I would never have voted in a UK election even if it had been possible. I made my choice to live there, and I would have considered it inappropriate to try and impose my will on the UK with a vote.

I have heard many ridiculous statements about leaving the EU, including that Brits would not be able to fly between European cities, yet before Britain joined the Common Market which became the EU, there were no such restrictions.

Please tell me what UK expats fear if Brexit wins, do their adopted countries not provide for their needs? I would like to live in Germany where I have good German friends, unfortunately with my health issues, the cost of health insurance is prohibitive. Thus I have to make the choice of living in the UK or return to Oz. Life is about needs and choices, expats must consider this when they wish to enjoy the benefits of living in another country.
I do have some sympathy for your argument on who should be voting and agree there should be a link between taxation and representation. However it is extremely common for citizens living abroad to have voting rights, while foreign residents living in a country not having right to vote. I know this happens for US citizens living abroad with residents non-citizens cannot vote. Similarly, EU residents in the UK do not have right to vote on the referendum.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

UK expats, living in most countries outside EU, are denied having their Old Age Pensions (OAP) index-liked for inflation. If UK leaves EU will expats, living in EU countries, still be able to get their UK pensions index-linked?

Last edited by Davita; Apr 22nd 2016 at 1:35 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2016, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

hales is on a distinguished road

Good question Davita. I think there are several things they may stop - winter fuel for example. However, I still feel that the UK should pull out of the EU.
Old Apr 29th 2016, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Often the UK has little or no influence on the creation of new laws anyway because the UK finds itself in a small minority, often a minority of one. If this wasn't the case we probably wouldn't be having this discussion because it is at the root of most of the problems that the UK has with the EU.
This is very true, yet Cameron seems to believe he has the ability to change the status quo.
Old May 2nd 2016, 7:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Leaving the EU.

Originally Posted by Davita
UK expats, living in most countries outside EU, are denied having their Old Age Pensions (OAP) index-liked for inflation. If UK leaves EU will expats, living in EU countries, still be able to get their UK pensions index-linked?
not true their are indexation agreements with many countries outside the EU INCLUDING THE USA. However the big exceptions are Australia, Canada and New Zealand.
Old May 3rd 2016, 4:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Etonians seem to be overwhelmingly for Exit. Why is that ? Have they spotted that their interest dictates that leaving would be best for the City and for Finance Capital ?
Old May 3rd 2016, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
not true their are indexation agreements with many countries outside the EU INCLUDING THE USA. However the big exceptions are Australia, Canada and New Zealand.
South Africa also falls into this category, although the relatively small number of British retirees makes it easy to ignore.
Old May 6th 2016, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
I'm very aware there are exceptions but insignificant in the light of the million+ Brits living in EU countries.
My point is, if they were denied index-linked pensions if UK left EU and decided to return to get the benefits of a full OAP, NHS, welfare if qualified,...etc. it would make the case for alien immigration, being a reason for Brexit, a non-event.