Dual Nationality - Some questions

Dual Nationality - Some questions

Old Aug 1st 2016, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

andy6pac is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Dual Nationality - Some questions

Hi everybody,

I need some answers on a couple of things:

First of all some facts about me: I was born in England in the 80's. I moved with my parents (british) to Germany in the 90's. Now I am living since 26 years as a british national in Germany. My wife is german and my daughter was born last year in Germany.

1. I became a german national this week, so now I have dual citizenship. My question here is, do I have to inform the british government, that I have achieved the german nationality?

2. My daughter was born here in Germany and has automatically received the german citizenship. Is she also british? If not, how does she get the british citizenship? Do I have to register her birth? Or do I only have to apply a british passport for her?

I hope some of you can give some good answers, and if any informations about me are missing, just let me know.

Andy
Old Aug 1st 2016, 8:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Nationality - Some questions

1. No, the British government doesn't care, though they ask to see other passports when you obtain or renew your British passport.

2. a) Yes, as you were born in the UK, you are "British other than by descent", and can pass on British citizenship. Your daughter is "British by descent" and cannot pass on British citizenship unless she spends a continuous period of three years (?) in the UK before giving birth to any children she has. If she has any children while living in the UK they would be "British other than by descent", and would be able to pass on British citizenship.

2. b) N/A

2. c) No, though you can and it would be recommended as it will be easy to apply/reapply for a British passport at any point in her life as it serves as a permanent determination that she is British.

2. d) There is nothing to stop you applying directly for a British passport for her, but it is likely that there is little or no benefit to her having two passports, especially as they are both countries (currently) within the EU. If you only want to do one thing, register her birth as per 2. c) above, and you/she can apply for a British passport at any point in the future.
Old Aug 1st 2016, 10:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I can't add anything to Pulaski's excellent answer other agreeing than registering your daughter's birth would be an excellent way to future-proof evidence of her British citizenship particularly if there's no immediate need for a British passport.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

Last edited by BritInParis; Aug 1st 2016 at 10:45 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 10:33 am
Just Joined

andy6pac is an unknown quantity at this point

@Pulaski: Thank you for your very detailed answer. I will follow your advice and register her birth.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 10:41 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy6pac
@Pulaski: Thank you for your very detailed answer. I will follow your advice and register her birth. .....
You're welcome.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Register your daughter's birth with the British authorities. In years to come if she needs a copy of the certificate it is easier if you have done that.