Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

China vs Germany?

China vs Germany?

Old Apr 19th 2012, 3:41 am
Just Joined

hefalump is an unknown quantity at this point
Default China vs Germany?

Having lived for two years in a 2nd tier city in China, we are about to move from China to Frankfurt, which seems by comparison to be an easy place to live. Am I deluding myself? Although living in China is not easy, and is in a lot of respects truly culturally shocking, the local people know just by looking at me (I don't look Chinese) that I will be struggling to understand not only the language but how the country works, and are keen to help or at least sympathetic. What are the big culture shockers for a Brit in Germany?
Old May 7th 2012, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: China vs Germany?

There is no "queue culture" in Germany. When you go to a post office / shop / bank or any other place with service personel behind a counter, you will need to memorize who was there before you came in and then if someone comes in after you and is trying to push to the front, you'll have to stop them if you ever want to get served.
(This happened to me last week on a visit to Germany, I had forgotten how bad they are in that respect)
Old May 8th 2012, 9:21 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hefalump
What are the big culture shockers for a Brit in Germany?
Chimney sweeps. I'm being serious. <waves to Frau Budenheimerin who will explain>.
Old May 9th 2012, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Chimney sweeps. I'm being serious. <waves to Frau Budenheimerin who will explain>.
Will I , Mr. Heidesheimer? well... they come to around to every house , once a year or so, to sweep your chimney, if you want it or not... and then you pay for it...that's all I remember about them ... don't they have them in the UK?

(Off Topic to Mr. Novocastrian> did you know they want to incorporate Heidesheim into one of the neighbouring towns, but neither Ingelheim nor Budenheim want them?)
Attached Thumbnails China vs Germany?-schornsteinfeger.jpg  
Old May 9th 2012, 3:21 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodworm
Will I , Mr. Heidesheimer? well... they come to around to every house , once a year or so, to sweep your chimney, if you want it or not... and then you pay for it...that's all I remember about them ... don't they have them in the UK?
The thing we found so surprising is that they simply barge their way into the house without a word of explanation (or permission). As you say householders are enjoined by law to have the chimney swept annually but this isn't true anywhere else I've lived. Moreover elsewhere you'd arrange for a sweeping with the company of your choice. We were gobsmacked the first time this happened.

[/QUOTE] (Off Topic to Mr. Novocastrian> did you know they want to incorporate Heidesheim into one of the neighbouring towns, but neither Ingelheim nor Budenheim want them?)[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that, but I'm not surprised.