Reload this Page >

Using a british TV in France

Using a british TV in France

Old Mar 9th 2005, 9:56 pm
Relocating to Orleans

exetertofrance is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Using a british TV in France

Hi

I have a Sony 28" Wega TV, I was wondering if anybody knows if it will work in France or if not, is it possible to convert the TV to receive French TV?

Thanks

Mark
Old Mar 14th 2005, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

chuba has a brilliant futurechuba has a brilliant futurechuba has a brilliant futurechuba has a brilliant futurechuba has a brilliant futurechuba has a brilliant future
Default Re: Using a british TV in France

Originally Posted by exetertofrance
Hi

I have a Sony 28" Wega TV, I was wondering if anybody knows if it will work in France or if not, is it possible to convert the TV to receive French TV?

Thanks

Mark
Well im not very technically minded Mark, but the voltage is different to what it is in the UK, and also ur TV must be able to decode 'SECAM'which is the standard in France. So if ur TV is compatible 240V (not sure if thats the voltage) and can receive SECAM it should work in France, if not just try selling it and buy one in France they r cheaper than in the UK
Old Mar 17th 2005, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

javajive will become famous soon enoughjavajive will become famous soon enough

If it is a multistandard TV that supports SECAM you will be ok.

The voltage is not a problem. But you would need to change plugs.

HANDY TIP Buy/take some multiplug extension sockets. Then you only have to change one plug to have all your appliances worknig.
Old Mar 19th 2005, 8:33 am
Just Joined

David S is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Yes the last posting is correct. As long as the Sony TV is multi standard ie PAL/SECAM (and I cannot conceive that a Sony would not be) it will work in France. If you install UK satellite TV the TV will also automatically choose the correct format depending on whether you are watching French tv or the UK.

Good luck with the move.
Old Mar 20th 2005, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

mpprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant future

Hi

generally UK TV's are not multi standard.

However if you intend using satellite & decoder via a SCART connection, your UK TV will work here.

Regards

Peter

Originally Posted by exetertofrance
Hi

Thanks

Mark
Old Mar 27th 2005, 11:07 am
Just Joined

chuba has a brilliant futurechuba has a brilliant futurechuba has a brilliant futurechuba has a brilliant futurechuba has a brilliant futurechuba has a brilliant future

Not too sure about this but i think UK TV's r multistandard, but with PAL/NTSC correct me if im wrong
Old Mar 27th 2005, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by chuba
Not too sure about this but i think UK TV's r multistandard, but with PAL/NTSC correct me if im wrong
yeah, and as said above, if you connect the dvd, satelite etc through a scart! no probs, you'll only be missing out on terrestrial crud and you REALLY wont be missing those!

I got a 20yr old sony 14" and she's working perfect on the sat and dvd.

oh and if you BUY a tv here you'l be liable for a licence, but if not they dont even know you exist.

voltage is 220v. uk was dropped a few years back to 230v and most equipment, if you have a look at the back will say 220-250 so thats not an issue, but DONT change plugs, use adaptors, french plugs dont have an inline fuse, and a lot of stuff gets nueked out here from lightening. so surge protectors for everything people
Old Mar 30th 2005, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bourgogne
you'll only be missing out on terrestrial crud and you REALLY wont be missing those!
The local terrestrial French channels are quite good if your french is up to it. Otherwise they are great way to get up to speed. Plus you get a local view on news and other events.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by javajive
The local terrestrial French channels are quite good if your french is up to it. Otherwise they are great way to get up to speed. Plus you get a local view on news and other events.
i really dont doubt you at all

except they seem to be TALKING ...... all very french and all that, and.... i never do news, i never did in the UK, not a paper not a TV! so for me, i stand by my not missing anything.

if not they seem a cross between CH4 and CH5..? although i never seen CH5 i can only imagine from i heard lol
Old Mar 31st 2005, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bourgogne
i really dont doubt you at all

except they seem to be TALKING ...... all very french and all that, and.... i never do news, i never did in the UK, not a paper not a TV! so for me, i stand by my not missing anything.

if not they seem a cross between CH4 and CH5..? although i never seen CH5 i can only imagine from i heard lol
Your right there are quite a few chat programs where they get some guests to talk about some philosophical topic.

One also needs to be aware that in France things happen to a different rhythm, news mainly starts at 8pm, movies just before 9pm. On Friday nights they don't show movies on some channels - I've been told its to help the cinemas by encouraging people to go out - so more chat programs.

They do have the other things that you find in the UK like a french version of wife swap, who wants to be a millonaire, the Jamie Oliver equivant of Fifteen and if you like a soap there is La Belle Vie.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by javajive
Your right there are quite a few chat programs where they get some guests to talk about some philosophical topic.

One also needs to be aware that in France things happen to a different rhythm, news mainly starts at 8pm, movies just before 9pm. On Friday nights they don't show movies on some channels - I've been told its to help the cinemas by encouraging people to go out - so more chat programs.

They do have the other things that you find in the UK like a french version of wife swap, who wants to be a millonaire, the Jamie Oliver equivant of Fifteen and if you like a soap there is La Belle Vie.
LOL NOOOOOO re-hashed UK garbage in french? thats well worth missing

your are right that Canal satelite dont show any mainstream films FRI & SAT, only tv movies and such. thats good IF you like going to the cimema to watch hyped up tripe thats gonna be on satelite anyway in a few months?

nothing chages eh?
Old May 30th 2005, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

gplux is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a note re French TV licences. We have a small property in the Var and we have just been informed that the TV licence fee will be included in the local taxes. This may only apply to that region. This is to catch all those people (who me guv) who have bought a TV outside of France to avoid the annual licence fee.
gplux
Old May 30th 2005, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gplux
Just a note re French TV licences. We have a small property in the Var and we have just been informed that the TV licence fee will be included in the local taxes. This may only apply to that region. This is to catch all those people (who me guv) who have bought a TV outside of France to avoid the annual licence fee.
gplux
devious indirect taxing

sounds like england?