Just Joined

Cavewoman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Useful French Phrases

So true !

( Enjoy ! )
Old Sep 14th 2014, 3:38 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but the video stopped at 59 seconds.
What's the word?
While I'm here, do you all know when to say "second" and when to say "deuxième"?
The general rule is that you say "second" when there isn't a third. For example I'm my OH's "seconde femme" and hope to remain so. If I were his "deuxième femme", it implies that we are divorced and he's remarried at least one more time. Despite knowing the rule, I blurted out "deuxième stent rénal" the other day - the Doc. raised an eyebrow and reminded me that no one has a third kidney...
The exception to this rule is in the Education system where the first year in Lycée is "2nde" despite being between 3ème and 1ère.
Va savoir, Charles! (Go figure!)
Old Sep 15th 2014, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dmu
Sorry, but the video stopped at 59 seconds.
What's the word?
The 'magic' word is "putain", as in "Putain, qu'est-ce qu'elle est chiante, cette nana...."
Old Sep 15th 2014, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

DMU you were fortunate it stopped at 59 secs! What a pain in the butt she was in the video, as PB so rightly states.
Half of that video was more than enough for me, as the 'P' word is not one I've used in over 30 years here, but confess that the 'M' word gets an occasional hearing when Mme TP overworks me.
I find the use of the P word tiresome, a bit like Gordon Ramsey every 10secs or so.
The polite form of the P word is of course punaise.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 7:51 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
The polite form of the P word is of course punaise.
Our family says "purée"!!
Old Sep 16th 2014, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Our family says "purée"!!
What, you mean as in mashed pommes de terre
Old Sep 16th 2014, 8:42 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
What, you mean as in mashed pommes de terre
Yes
Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

This one you can use if, like me, you are only 170cm tall: Un pète dans le sable - a shorty (that's almost as poetic as some of the Indian names I have Heard!
Blackie
Old Sep 17th 2014, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Blackladder
This one you can use if, like me, you are only 170cm tall: Un pète dans le sable - a shorty (that's almost as poetic as some of the Indian names I have Heard!
Blackie
Thanks, I didn't know that one. By the way, it's un pet; pète being the 3rd person singular of the present tense of the verb péter (to fart). Somewhat reminiscent of Billy Connolly's "to be about as welcome as a fart in a space suit".
ça ne vaut pas un pet de lapin — It's not worth a dime.
filer comme un pet sur une toile cirée — used when someone disappears like a bat out of hell.
péter plus haut que son cul — used for someone who has a very high opinion of himself, as in 'He thinks the sun shines out of his arse'.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 1:27 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Thanks, I didn't know that one. By the way, it's un pet; pète being the 3rd person singular of the present tense of the verb péter (to fart). Somewhat reminiscent of Billy Connolly's "to be about as welcome as a fart in a space suit".
ça ne vaut pas un pet de lapin — It's not worth a dime.
filer comme un pet sur une toile cirée — used when someone disappears like a bat out of hell.
péter plus haut que son cul — used for someone who has a very high opinion of himself, as in 'He thinks the sun shines out of his arse'.
+1
"pète" is also the imperative 2nd person singular, but one is hardly likely to order some one to do so....
I think these expressions are hilarious, but never actually say them myself!
(except for "pétogènes" for haricots blancs)
Old Sep 17th 2014, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmu
+1
"pète" is also the imperative 2nd person singular, but one is hardly likely to order some one to do so....
I think these expressions are hilarious, but never actually say them myself!
(except for "pétogènes" for haricots blancs)
I have heard il veut péter plus haut que son cul a few times.
Ther's also être complètement pété for someone who's plastered (or mad), and the curious 'pet-de-nonne' for those little pastry thingies.
être péteux is to be frightened and avoir un pet de travers can mean to be in a bad mood.

Lastly, perhaps, one I only just discovered:
C'est plus facile de tirer un pet d'un âne mort qu'un sou de sa bourse which means "Asking him for money is like trying to get blood out of a stone."

Who said French isn't an extraordinarily rich language?
Old Nov 12th 2014, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

miss limousin is an unknown quantity at this point

Jeter des jouets de poussette - throw your toys out of the pram
(in a Lancashire accent) -
Old Nov 12th 2014, 7:35 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by miss limousin
Jeter des jouets de poussette - throw your toys out of the pram
(in a Lancashire accent) -
Old Mar 23rd 2015, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Bonnet is an unknown quantity at this point

What a great thread!! Sort of French Uncovered!

Just for fun I can offer local expressions/patois of the deep SW, often heard in the streets and bars but spoken almost exclusively by long time locals.

Top 40 des expressions qu'on entend dans le Sud-Ouest

When this was published on-line there followed a lengthy and hilarious discussion about exactly what comprised the deep SW...

enjoy!
Old Mar 24th 2015, 7:52 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bonnet
What a great thread!! Sort of French Uncovered!

Just for fun I can offer local expressions/patois of the deep SW, often heard in the streets and bars but spoken almost exclusively by long time locals.

Top 40 des expressions qu'on entend dans le Sud-Ouest

When this was published on-line there followed a lengthy and hilarious discussion about exactly what comprised the deep SW...

enjoy!
Hi, a lot of these expressions are used in the Centre South (Languedoc), too (Occitan). Here, the word "Pec" refers to a child.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.