satellite tv

Old May 11th 2011, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default satellite tv

Hi again, sorry so much to ask before the move! What do most people do re satellite TV in France? We are looking at trying to take a Sky box down, but have heard of a company in France that supply them? Also I understand a larger satellite dish is needed, compared to the ones used in the UK. I assume these are available from DIY stores?
I want to try and keep hold of our regular UK channels where possible and a sky box is the answer?
Old May 11th 2011, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of
Default Re: satellite tv

Originally Posted by bobbi2
Hi again, sorry so much to ask before the move! What do most people do re satellite TV in France? We are looking at trying to take a Sky box down, but have heard of a company in France that supply them? Also I understand a larger satellite dish is needed, compared to the ones used in the UK. I assume these are available from DIY stores?
I want to try and keep hold of our regular UK channels where possible and a sky box is the answer?
Hello again,
Over here the easiest solution is Freesat. Get yourself a Humax foxsat box or similar, any aerial installer can put up a satellite dish (yes, slightly bigger but that depends if you're in Normandy or the deep south as the signal weakens the further south you go. You won't need more than 80, and 60 cms should suffice) and Bob's your uncle. The major snags are extortionate cost of the Radio Times, and the crap programmes. Don't bother with Sky unless you've already got a box, since Freesat is just that, FREE, and you get all of the channels you would in the UK, since it's destined for the UK, not your Continental scruffs.
If you're in the south west, there's an excellent firm called Bigdish. Otherwise Amazon is your best bet for a cheap box. Don't give Murdoch any money. anyway, so-called Sky providers on the Continent are all illicit, since Sky refuses to sell subscriptions over here, because of transmission rights.
Old May 11th 2011, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

PS
If you're in the Chambery area probably a 60 or 70 dish would suffice, although I'd be tempted by an 80, based on the 'one never knows' philosophy. I live in Lyon and have a place in the Loire and I think both dishes are 60. Reception is fine.
Old May 11th 2011, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbi2
Why dont you do a forum search re Sky.
I am sure that the topic will have been well covered esp in Spain & Portugal forums.
You need to keep an address registered with Sky in the UK which will receive replacement cards etc - otherwise you will be cut off because Sky do not broadcast to users outside the UK.
If your dish is on the smaller side then you run the risk of picture breakup in adverse weather conditions. An installer should check for signal strength for you.

You can buy satellite stuff from the supermarkets

Last edited by cyrian; May 11th 2011 at 9:03 am. Reason: Addition
Old May 11th 2011, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

you can just change your sky account to a free one (ie freesat with a sky box)
We have this and it works really well
Old May 11th 2011, 10:11 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Peeps here offer sound advice. My situation, I use a Humax with twin coax to make full use; it's focused on Freesat. You want Sky full bore you can have it with UK address. Dish here needs to be larger, you can erect DIY, if roof not too difficult.
Also have French TV via antennae, different TV.
Old May 12th 2011, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

cuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nice

I'm an hour north of Chambery a 60cm dish is fine in all but the big storms we get round here. Go for an 80 dish if you get the chance, if you're putting the dish up yourself, this site is very good http://www.dishpointer.com/ and don't forget to rotate the head, most people installing their dishes never rotate the head and it makes a huge difference to signal quality etc.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Chapelgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Peabrain
The major snags are extortionate cost of the Radio Times, and the crap programmes.
We just use the Radio Times website for programme information. http://www.radiotimes.com/

If you need any technical help you could try these people: http://www.satcure.co.uk/ I have found their forum very helpful, and they will also ship bits & bobs to France, though if you are wanting anything big or heavy like a dish or cable you are better to get them in France. I have used these people before: http://www.2galli.fr/boutique/liste_rayons.cfm

Last edited by Chapelgirl; Jul 25th 2011 at 9:25 am.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 3:40 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Chapelgirl - also try Zingzing, unlike the RT, hovering over the item gives you a synopsis, but it doesn't tell you if it's a repeat (issue with old US series).
Mine sorted now. 100/80 strength quality, but sound does fluctuate from time to time, but not an issue.
Old Jul 25th 2011, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Peabrain
The major snags are extortionate cost of the Radio Times, and the crap programmes
Can't do much about the programmes but there are free alternatives to the Radio TV

e.g. http://digiguide.tv
Old Jul 25th 2011, 8:04 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Pretty site Im_n_Er. Put it on faves.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

johnwarner75 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just use your Sky subscription. That’s easiest....
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

I am having serious problems if someone can help.

I have a sat finder that I'm using, and the box is looking for a signal. But the thing is so sensitive that the miniscule amount of movement. Even a wire moving completely bombs it out. I can go from 100 strength and 85 quality to 0 in the drop of a gnats.

Is this becasue I only have a 60cm dish? I did manage to stop the humax search while it had some signal but it wouldn't recognise a post code. I assume I lost connection.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all

I've done a manual search and I'm getting what looks like german channels. Its says 28.2 east
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

sorry I cant help; i have alwys got someone else to do the tuning!
However I am sure Kiaora will be along soon and he should be able to help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.