Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Old Feb 2nd 2013, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

cab47 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

try survivefrance
sure they will have locals near you...........
Old Feb 4th 2013, 6:41 am
Just Joined

xianharbin is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi the group I am godfrey hook and have recently moved to Levroux centre region (36 ) I have bought a old house in the town which needs much renovating
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:58 am
Just Joined

foxtempo86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
My name is Roxanne.me and my family are looking to move to france within the next 4months or so.We have 5 dogs and 10 horses,soo its going to be a HUGE move.im still very confused if the dogs need passports for staying france,i know they do with holidays.We are very much looking forward to getting out there and starting a new life.Any tips advice,VERY much appreciated.
Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:32 am
Just Joined

xianharbin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by foxtempo86
Hi,
My name is Roxanne.me and my family are looking to move to france within the next 4months or so.We have 5 dogs and 10 horses,soo its going to be a HUGE move.im still very confused if the dogs need passports for staying france,i know they do with holidays.We are very much looking forward to getting out there and starting a new life.Any tips advice,VERY much appreciated.
Thanks
Hi Roxanne that sounds like you are going to need quite a lot of land or if you need to down size on the animals most local butchers will offer to help

"joke
Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Weve got a place sorted,so no need to ring the butchers.anyway i would prefer to send the other half there,not my animals.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:28 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foxtempo86
Hi,
Thanks
Hi and welcome to the Forum!
You'll need Passports for all your dogs, presumably some sort of paperwork for your horses, too.
Your vet will do all that's necessary.
Come with any other questions (e.g. healthcare coverage, schooling, employment, whatever...) in a "New Thread", under this Introduction Thread which is really intended for new members introducing themselves and where specific questions tend not to be answered....
Old Feb 4th 2013, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Ok brilliant thanks for you help.i will check out the other pages.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

nelly1927 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone

regards neil

Last edited by Sue; Feb 12th 2013 at 11:16 pm. Reason: Welcome Neil, great to have you on board, but please take some time to read our site rules. Many thanks :)
Old Feb 12th 2013, 7:39 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nelly1927
Hello everyone

<<snip>> regards neil
I think you may be moved to Classifieds. Welcome nevertheless.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 9:46 am
Just Joined

toondw is an unknown quantity at this point

well, finally we have decided to stop talking about moving to France and actually start the ball rolling....

basically, i have retired from the police (early due to a injury) and have 2 little oiks.....currently 3 and 4. (they will be 4 and 5 by the time we would actually make a move)

i do not speak French but my wife does as well as Spanish. it's something i will learn of course....well i can understand a bit of french and i know enough to basically introduce myself and of course can count in french, well up to 100

anyway, we plan on the aquitaine area of France. we have decided to rent a property out there for 3 months next year (July - September) as a taster of life before we decide on long term plans. (if anybody has a 2-3 bedroom property to rent let me know! )

we hope our kids are still young enough by then to adapt to a complete different language, obviously we have in reality 2 years to go before we would move permanently so we will start teaching them french now....and me of course.

looking forward......nervously excited to a possible change in lifestyle......
Old Feb 21st 2013, 10:52 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toondw
well, finally we have decided to stop talking about moving to France and actually start the ball rolling....

basically, i have retired from the police (early due to a injury) and have 2 little oiks.....currently 3 and 4. (they will be 4 and 5 by the time we would actually make a move)

i do not speak French but my wife does as well as Spanish. it's something i will learn of course....well i can understand a bit of french and i know enough to basically introduce myself and of course can count in french, well up to 100

anyway, we plan on the aquitaine area of France. we have decided to rent a property out there for 3 months next year (July - September) as a taster of life before we decide on long term plans. (if anybody has a 2-3 bedroom property to rent let me know! )

we hope our kids are still young enough by then to adapt to a complete different language, obviously we have in reality 2 years to go before we would move permanently so we will start teaching them french now....and me of course.

Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
Your children would both go to Maternelle and the elder would move up to Primaire at 6 where they learn to read and write. By then they'll be speaking French like French children of their age!
Can't help on the rental front....
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:50 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toondw

Welcome to BE and the best of luck in your French adventure.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:18 am
new to bordeaux

Jakhil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving to bordeaux in the March 2013

Hi all,
I joined up here a few months back when I first accepted a job in Pessac. Now it's crunch time as final stages of my visa are being processed and in a few weeks I'll be en route Bordeaux.

I've found it a little difficult to find websites to find some short term accommodation (say 3-6 months). Does anyone have some advice? I would prefer to stay in the city center and commute out to Pessac, I've been told it's better to do that than live locally since I'm on my own (I better social scene in the city).

I'd also like any advice anyone can offer for French lessons - I've been guilty of not doing my homework until now and am slightly freaking out about the move now!

Let me be honest, I feel pretty under prepared re: bank accounts, accommodation and car. So if there are some links anyone can recommend please do send them over.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!
Joey
Old Feb 25th 2013, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Joey - hello and welcome. You will find British expats quite a friendly and helpful bunch. Many with masses of knowledge. (Not me)
The most important bit is the French. It makes life so much easier if you throw your self in on the language. Don't worry about mistakes. We all make them, and generally, most of our French friends are very understanding. If you don't make an effort, they probably won't either. But if you do, you will find people far more helpful than their reputation.
It is very much different strokes for different folks, but one to one lessons with a native speaker is your best bet. If you do leap in to the social scene, you will find this happening on its own.
Cars - there are several knowledgeable people. The bit I hear constantly is go to a dealer and get a good warranty.
Accommodation, there are several websites. leboncoin is always good, seloger advertise a fair bit. Whereabouts - someone from Bordeaux region will be along soon to help.
Above all - enjoy it. France is a lovely country.Excellent food quality, super restaurants, lovely countryside with just about everything you want to do. Beautiful rivers, and beaches. hosts of historic chateaux and parcs.

And you are coming out in springtime.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:22 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Default Re: moving to bordeaux in the March 2013

Originally Posted by Jakhil
Hi all,
I joined up here a few months back when I first accepted a job in Pessac. Now it's crunch time as final stages of my visa are being processed and in a few weeks I'll be en route Bordeaux.

I've found it a little difficult to find websites to find some short term accommodation (say 3-6 months). Does anyone have some advice? I would prefer to stay in the city center and commute out to Pessac, I've been told it's better to do that than live locally since I'm on my own (I better social scene in the city).

I'd also like any advice anyone can offer for French lessons - I've been guilty of not doing my homework until now and am slightly freaking out about the move now!

Let me be honest, I feel pretty under prepared re: bank accounts, accommodation and car. So if there are some links anyone can recommend please do send them over.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!
Joey
Hi, you may get more response to your questions if you post a New Thread. Questions in this Introduction Thread tend to get swallowed up by new posts...
Having said that, go along to the Mairie of the town where you decide to live in and get a list of Clubs and Associations that you can join. You'll make friends with French people with the same interests....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.