Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

GSM cellphone use in France

GSM cellphone use in France

Old Aug 1st 2001, 4:34 am
Just Joined

Bruce is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to use my Nokia 6110 phone in France.
Can someone simply explain whether a French SFR sim card can be used in it, or does the phone need to be "unlocked" first, ???
How does one go about getting the phone unlocked to use in France?

Old Aug 1st 2001, 8:26 am
Mike Lane

>
    >
    >
    >

Your phone may or may not be locked.

Someone might be able to advise you if you are prepared to divulge which country you
are in, and what network you are using in that country.

--
Mike Lane North Yorkshire, UK

Old Aug 1st 2001, 9:18 am
Derek Fisher

Bruce wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Not sure whether this will work. It depends where your 6110 is from. If it's the US
or Canada it will operate on a different waveband to the rest of the world's GSMs, so
it won't work at all. You will need a "rest of world" configured phone. If it is a
european one, then all you need to do is have your service provider enable it for
whatever country you specify. You will be charged a monthly tariff for the "roaming"
facility plus call tariffs. Important - if you receive calls whilst "roaming" in the
foreign country, you will also be charged the tariff for the call from the point
where it leaves the international gateway exchange of the country of origin. Hope
this helps,

Derek
--
Shin: A device for finding furniture in the dark.

This post represents the views of the author and does not necessarily accurately
represent the views of my employer.

Old Aug 2nd 2001, 12:29 pm
Retired

Mike Lane
    >
[usenetquote2]>> I would like to use my Nokia 6110 phone in France. Can someone simply explain[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> whether a French SFR sim card can be used in it, or does the phone need to be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> "unlocked" first, ??? How does one go about getting the phone unlocked to use in[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]>> France?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]>>Mike Lane[/usenetquote2]
    >
.................................................. ..........................

Let me give you a simple answer, based on experience not on expert knowledge :

if your phone/contract is of a "pay-as-you-go" type, it will cost you a lot to have
it unlocked (ie. may be more than you paid for the phone), the reason is that these
network subsitise your phone (hardware) and only make money on yr calls. If you use
your phone abroad or with another network (with new Sim) they loose all the way. If
you have a cellphone with a monthly subscription, then - I believe - they will
accept if you use another Network with another Sim as they will collect your Line
rental in anycase.

I have given details - in another Thread "best offer.... in Germany" - that rates for
pay-as-you-go phones in UK and Germany have DOUBLED in the past 2 months.

paul e/uk