Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French tax on Irish rental income

French tax on Irish rental income

Old Oct 31st 2016, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice
Default French tax on Irish rental income

I know this site is called "British Expats" and I have read plenty about how UK rental income should be declared and considered for tax in France, but wonder if the same process is followed for rental income generated from Ireland?

There is a 20% withholding tax (on gross income) there which is regularised by submitting a self assessment at the end of the year, so presumably the same numbers can be used for both declarations? Property in Ireland is usually rented furnished which I know comes under different tax rules in France, but is that even material in this case? At least the tax year is the same in both these countries (unlike the UK/France).

Any pointers to easily understood guidelines would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French tax on Irish rental income

You would need to read the France-Ireland tax treaty, which can be downloaded here (google is your friend) http://www.revenue.ie/en/practitione...ble/france.pdf.

Seems likely that the treaty would be similar but making assumptions could come back and bite you in the bum, so for the sake of getting down to wading through it and absorbing it...
Old Oct 31st 2016, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Have a read at this link:
https://www.taxback.com/blog/non-res...dlords-and-tax
There are several other sites than appear in a Google search including Government sites.
If you pay the tax in Ireland then you declare the income and tax paid on your foreign income of your french tax return.
See this post:http://britishexpats.com/forum/franc...relief-884809/
HTH

Last edited by cyrian; Oct 31st 2016 at 4:56 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Page 32:
Where, under the Convention, income derived from one country by a person resident in the other country may be taken into account for tax purposes in both countries, a measure of double taxation relief is to be granted by the latter country. In Ireland relief is to be given by allowing against the Irish tax payable on French income, a credit in respect of the French tax which the income has borne including, in the case of dividends, an appropriate proportion of the French tax on the profits out of which the dividends are paid. In France, relief is to be given by way of exemption of income (except dividends) from sources in Ireland but the income so exempted is to be taken into account for the purpose of determining the rate of French tax to be imposed on the taxpayer's other income.
So in fact it sounds to me as if it is treated exactly the same as rental income sourced from the UK.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Page 32:
Where, under the Convention, income derived from one country by a person resident in the other country may be taken into account for tax purposes in both countries, a measure of double taxation relief is to be granted by the latter country. In Ireland relief is to be given by allowing against the Irish tax payable on French income, a credit in respect of the French tax which the income has borne including, in the case of dividends, an appropriate proportion of the French tax on the profits out of which the dividends are paid. In France, relief is to be given by way of exemption of income (except dividends) from sources in Ireland but the income so exempted is to be taken into account for the purpose of determining the rate of French tax to be imposed on the taxpayer's other income.
So in fact it sounds to me as if it is treated exactly the same as rental income sourced from the UK.
Looks like it.
Old Oct 31st 2016, 9:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Page 32:
But the 20% withholding tax collected by Ireland will be offset.
Old Nov 1st 2016, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

south_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nicesouth_bound is just really nice

Thank all, that is really useful. The treaty dates from 1966 but as its on the revenue.ie website I assume it is the most up to date. I will try to find the French equivalent to make sure it says the same thing.

Novocastian, I don't understand your comment "But the 20% withholding tax collected by Ireland will be offset" - the 20% withholding tax will be reduced somewhat through the end of year assessment to include deductible costs but regardless of what this final figure is it will not be further taxed in France (except in as much as it might lift you into a higher marginal rate).
Old Nov 1st 2016, 4:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by south_bound
Thank all, that is really useful. The treaty dates from 1966 but as its on the revenue.ie website I assume it is the most up to date. I will try to find the French equivalent to make sure it says the same thing.

Novocastian, I don't understand your comment "But the 20% withholding tax collected by Ireland will be offset" - the 20% withholding tax will be reduced somewhat through the end of year assessment to include deductible costs but regardless of what this final figure is it will not be further taxed in France (except in as much as it might lift you into a higher marginal rate).
I don't understand what you're asking?