British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   French tax on Irish rental income (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/french-tax-irish-rental-income-886712/)

south_bound Oct 31st 2016 3:50 pm

French tax on Irish rental income

I know this site is called "British Expats" and I have read plenty about how UK rental income should be declared and considered for tax in France, but wonder if the same process is followed for rental income generated from Ireland?

There is a 20% withholding tax (on gross income) there which is regularised by submitting a self assessment at the end of the year, so presumably the same numbers can be used for both declarations? Property in Ireland is usually rented furnished which I know comes under different tax rules in France, but is that even material in this case? At least the tax year is the same in both these countries (unlike the UK/France).

Any pointers to easily understood guidelines would be much appreciated, thanks.

EuroTrash Oct 31st 2016 4:46 pm

Re: French tax on Irish rental income

You would need to read the France-Ireland tax treaty, which can be downloaded here (google is your friend) http://www.revenue.ie/en/practitione...ble/france.pdf.

Seems likely that the treaty would be similar but making assumptions could come back and bite you in the bum, so for the sake of getting down to wading through it and absorbing it...

cyrian Oct 31st 2016 4:54 pm

Have a read at this link:
https://www.taxback.com/blog/non-res...dlords-and-tax
There are several other sites than appear in a Google search including Government sites.
If you pay the tax in Ireland then you declare the income and tax paid on your foreign income of your french tax return.
See this post:http://britishexpats.com/forum/franc...relief-884809/
HTH

EuroTrash Oct 31st 2016 6:22 pm

Page 32:
Where, under the Convention, income derived from one country by a person resident in the other country may be taken into account for tax purposes in both countries, a measure of double taxation relief is to be granted by the latter country. In Ireland relief is to be given by allowing against the Irish tax payable on French income, a credit in respect of the French tax which the income has borne including, in the case of dividends, an appropriate proportion of the French tax on the profits out of which the dividends are paid. In France, relief is to be given by way of exemption of income (except dividends) from sources in Ireland but the income so exempted is to be taken into account for the purpose of determining the rate of French tax to be imposed on the taxpayer's other income.
So in fact it sounds to me as if it is treated exactly the same as rental income sourced from the UK.

cyrian Oct 31st 2016 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 12092157)
Page 32:
Where, under the Convention, income derived from one country by a person resident in the other country may be taken into account for tax purposes in both countries, a measure of double taxation relief is to be granted by the latter country. In Ireland relief is to be given by allowing against the Irish tax payable on French income, a credit in respect of the French tax which the income has borne including, in the case of dividends, an appropriate proportion of the French tax on the profits out of which the dividends are paid. In France, relief is to be given by way of exemption of income (except dividends) from sources in Ireland but the income so exempted is to be taken into account for the purpose of determining the rate of French tax to be imposed on the taxpayer's other income.
So in fact it sounds to me as if it is treated exactly the same as rental income sourced from the UK.

Looks like it.

Novocastrian Oct 31st 2016 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 12092157)
Page 32:

But the 20% withholding tax collected by Ireland will be offset.

south_bound Nov 1st 2016 10:36 am

Thank all, that is really useful. The treaty dates from 1966 but as its on the revenue.ie website I assume it is the most up to date. I will try to find the French equivalent to make sure it says the same thing.

Novocastian, I don't understand your comment "But the 20% withholding tax collected by Ireland will be offset" - the 20% withholding tax will be reduced somewhat through the end of year assessment to include deductible costs but regardless of what this final figure is it will not be further taxed in France (except in as much as it might lift you into a higher marginal rate).

Novocastrian Nov 1st 2016 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by south_bound (Post 12092638)
Thank all, that is really useful. The treaty dates from 1966 but as its on the revenue.ie website I assume it is the most up to date. I will try to find the French equivalent to make sure it says the same thing.

Novocastian, I don't understand your comment "But the 20% withholding tax collected by Ireland will be offset" - the 20% withholding tax will be reduced somewhat through the end of year assessment to include deductible costs but regardless of what this final figure is it will not be further taxed in France (except in as much as it might lift you into a higher marginal rate).

I don't understand what you're asking?