Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Victorian Fires... Anyone with knowledge of (non cash) donations interstate?

Victorian Fires... Anyone with knowledge of (non cash) donations interstate?

Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:56 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Victorian Fires... Anyone with knowledge of (non cash) donations interstate?

Hi everyone,
These horrible fires got us talking.... How many people around Australia have clothes, shoes, bags, cosmetics, food, stationary, DVDs, whitegoods, small appliances etc that they simply don't need or use and would like to donate to good use for the victims of the Victorian fires???

I could easily get a truckload full of good usable stuff from our local community, but question arises... Does anyone have any solid knowledge or experience as to how to get it to Victoria from country WA? Simple thing is that we are not rich, and cannot fund such a thing ourselves. Have looked at Red Cross and Salvos websites etc but all they want is money donations.

So here I, and my friends, are with cupboards full of good usable stuff in excellent condition that no doubt would be usable (would certainly be for us if in that situation and waiting for finances to come back from insurances etc), wondering if you have any ideas as to how to go about this???
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:48 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victorian Fires... Anyone with knowledge of (non cash) donations interstate?

Originally Posted by teza
Hi everyone,
These horrible fires got us talking.... How many people around Australia have clothes, shoes, bags, cosmetics, food, stationary, DVDs, whitegoods, small appliances etc that they simply don't need or use and would like to donate to good use for the victims of the Victorian fires???

I could easily get a truckload full of good usable stuff from our local community, but question arises... Does anyone have any solid knowledge or experience as to how to get it to Victoria from country WA? Simple thing is that we are not rich, and cannot fund such a thing ourselves. Have looked at Red Cross and Salvos websites etc but all they want is money donations.

So here I, and my friends, are with cupboards full of good usable stuff in excellent condition that no doubt would be usable (would certainly be for us if in that situation and waiting for finances to come back from insurances etc), wondering if you have any ideas as to how to go about this???
Advice on another thread was to contact the SES or Red Cross who may be able to offer some help.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:00 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victorian Fires... Anyone with knowledge of (non cash) donations interstate?

Thanks! But had a look at them and only money donations were asked. My question is, when a family like ours with 3 kids and 5 boxes of nearly new clothes, several school bags never used, 20+ dvds never used, games, toys etc in mint condition.... and add to that 10s of families similar without any advertising. So what if I run a story in local paper and school news letters, how would I secure free transport of possible truckload or two of such things to Vic? Knowing my community, that's what it would come cown to.

Given I know personally main players of local chamber of commerce, should I draw to their help? Or go towards the friends in charge of local churches? Or trust the help of locals through local newspapers and gossip run? Seriously, if I was one of the bushfire victims, being a single income family, waiting for insurance payout etc, I would be struggling to get enough (maybe get a bit but defo not enough) for clothes, toys, books etc for the family....

Or am I simply going crazy and this idea is not worth considering? Seriously, need some input on this !!!
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! But had a look at them and only money donations were asked. My question is, when a family like ours with 3 kids and 5 boxes of nearly new clothes, several school bags never used, 20+ dvds never used, games, toys etc in mint condition.... and add to that 10s of families similar without any advertising. So what if I run a story in local paper and school news letters, how would I secure free transport of possible truckload or two of such things to Vic? Knowing my community, that's what it would come cown to.

Given I know personally main players of local chamber of commerce, should I draw to their help? Or go towards the friends in charge of local churches? Or trust the help of locals through local newspapers and gossip run? Seriously, if I was one of the bushfire victims, being a single income family, waiting for insurance payout etc, I would be struggling to get enough (maybe get a bit but defo not enough) for clothes, toys, books etc for the family....

Or am I simply going crazy and this idea is not worth considering? Seriously, need some input on this !!!

Why not fill in the online form and ask the question? http://www.redcross.org.au/contactus_default.asp
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

I have a huge suitcase of clothes was going to take to salvo this week. let me know if you get anythign sorted
Old Feb 8th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Speak to your contacts at the chamber of commerce...... they'll know of trucking companies who will fit it in as a backload
Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:34 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Originally Posted by Rossi
Speak to your contacts at the chamber of commerce...... they'll know of trucking companies who will fit it in as a backload
Thanks everyone, will get some heads together today. I am hoping that local Vinnies, red cross etc are organising something but as friends and I were sitting down yesterday, just had a feeling that if they are not, then what can we do. Seems ridiculous that all of us have stuff that could be used, and despite the distance, we want to get all that stuff there. If it was us, I know all help in despair would be useful.
These fires have certainly been shocking, my heart goes out to everyone involved
Old Feb 8th 2009, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Teza,
This sounds like a lovely idea but the problem just now is the logisitics of what to do with the stuff once it gets here. The community centres looking after so many of the refugees don't even have enough room for everyone ( a lot of people are still sleeping in cars right now) or time to hand out stuff like this at this time. The refugees don't have houses to put the stuff in right now either, plus a lot of the roads are not open or safe (especially for lorries at this time).
The head of the red cross was saying that the best thing about giving people money was to empower them by giving them the choice of what to do as they have lost all sense of control right now.
Would it be worth raising money from the sale of these items on ebay or similar? Or maybe people on BE could use some of the stuff and make a donation directly to the bushfires appeal?
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:58 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Teza,
This sounds like a lovely idea but the problem just now is the logisitics of what to do with the stuff once it gets here. The community centres looking after so many of the refugees don't even have enough room for everyone ( a lot of people are still sleeping in cars right now) or time to hand out stuff like this at this time. The refugees don't have houses to put the stuff in right now either, plus a lot of the roads are not open or safe (especially for lorries at this time).
The head of the red cross was saying that the best thing about giving people money was to empower them by giving them the choice of what to do as they have lost all sense of control right now.
Would it be worth raising money from the sale of these items on ebay or similar? Or maybe people on BE could use some of the stuff and make a donation directly to the bushfires appeal?
That's what I was thinking, too. A lot of the people have no homes to put the goods into at the moment. It really is a wonderful, selfless thing to do, Teza

Why not see if one of your Chamber of Commerce people can get you a free storage locker to keep the things in and donate them next time WA has this sort of need? That way local truckers could donate their time to deliver the goods and you would be helping your local community.

Again, lovely thought which I'm sure the people of Victoria would appreciate.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 12:51 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

The vic site says to donate stuff to your local op shop and they will coordinate the donations given Australia wide

I have just taken bedding towels toiletries and clothes to our local op shop
Old Feb 9th 2009, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

the pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nice

It great that so many people want to help!

The relief centres are currently full of items, and the volunteers are not finding enough time to even sort through them - at the moment they are still bringing survivors down from Kinglake, it is so busy for them at the Whittlesea and Diamond Creek centres.

Info at:
http://www.nillumbik.vic.gov.au/page...p?page_Id=2013

Other areas have been affected but as this is the area I live in I know more about things here than in the other affected areas.

Hope this helps. Been helping friends who have been all weekend with somewhere to stay/food/shoulder to cry on/cups of tea/etc etc.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 1:14 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

The british high commissioner in oz said that they were collecting blankets but I think she may have been speaking of the commission staff.

Interestingly, she also said that there are around 1.5 million oz residents that have a right to a brit passport.

Perhaps if there's support here, we could make a cash collection and donate on behalf of the brits on BE ? Id be happy to donate a few dollars.......
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:04 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

I was told to call the Red Cross Head Quarters on 03 8327 7700 for enquires about household items such as bedding, books, toys etc. Basic clothes donations which are being collected a shops.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've heard on the radio, they are just not ready for material donations as yet but I'd hang on to any stuff you get together and there will be a call out soon.

Money donations: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590112

Last edited by moneypenny20; Feb 9th 2009 at 2:14 am.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Our local car repair garage is collecting goods and delivering daily. I have plenty of baby bedding and hopefully some clothes/toys we can donate. There were hoards of people dropping off things when I just drove past.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.