Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

SE Queensland Storms

SE Queensland Storms

Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SE Queensland Storms

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
My daughter is going on an outdoor camp on Saturday night with Guides, to Currumbin. Guides say it is still on. Any idea of the forecast for that area ?

A concerned Dad
We've had it remarkably gentle so far. Last night we had one very close clap of thunder with normal rain and a couple of lightning flashes. After that the thunder was obviously out in the Hinterland rumbling near continuous. The storms seems to be dumping themselves in the hinterland and running out of steam before they get to the coast so your daughter will probably come home a bit soggy but apart from that, I think she'll be good It's lovely today and ground seems to be drying out a bit.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Small storm brewing again.

http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20041.html

I came for the weather
Old Nov 20th 2008, 4:44 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Wild couple of days!

We got away lightly in the end (power came back yesterday) - gonna need new carpets and a new TV antenna - and will have to do some serious chainsaw work over the weekend.

BIG props to the Energex, SES and Army guys though - The Gap has been a hive of activity for the last few days and despite miserable conditions things are pretty much back to normal for most of us!

Weather may have been bad - but the community response is overwhelming, heartwarming and just fantastic!

(Just realised I need to change the "location:" bit of my avatar - The Gap is no longer "leafy" !!!!!)

Last edited by DadAgain; Nov 20th 2008 at 4:49 am.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 4:51 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently looking at the skies over south / south west Brisbane. A big ominous storm cloud is starting to develop and it is slowly drifting over towards the eastern suburbs.

Hardly any wind out there and some weird looking clouds floating about in front of a dark grey horizon - that's a recipe for some rain tonight I reckon.

Just clicked on the good old bom radar.... there's a storm cell approaching the northern suburbs right now, if it doesn't peter out it will hit the same suburbs that were affected on sunday within the hour.

edit - here's the warning:
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDQ20038.html

Last edited by asprilla; Nov 20th 2008 at 4:53 am. Reason: added the bom link...
Old Nov 20th 2008, 4:52 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Wild couple of days!

We got away lightly in the end (power came back yesterday) - gonna need new carpets and a new TV antenna - and will have to do some serious chainsaw work over the weekend.

BIG props to the Energex, SES and Army guys though - The Gap has been a hive of activity for the last few days and despite miserable conditions things are pretty much back to normal for most of us!

Weather may have been bad - but the community response is overwhelming, heartwarming and just fantastic!

(Just realised I need to change the "location:" bit of my avatar - The Gap is no longer "leafy" !!!!!)
Good to hear everything is ok for you guys up there...
Old Nov 20th 2008, 4:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Wild couple of days!

It is good to hear from someone in the now famous GAP, and that you are OK. Only need carpets and antenna ? From the TV info, it looks like you got off lightly

Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:10 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Definately dodged a bullet - we're at the bottom of our street and the damage seems to be much worse at the street.

We were nearly flooded - our street(right of the picture below) was 3 or 4ft deep in fast flowing water and started lapping up our driveway - but didnt quite get up to the house. The water damage we did get just seeped in through the sill of our tightly shut windows.

(see streetview: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&h...233924987,,0,5).

Been totaly surreal seeing all the carnage around the suburb
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:39 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We've had it remarkably gentle so far. Last night we had one very close clap of thunder with normal rain and a couple of lightning flashes. After that the thunder was obviously out in the Hinterland rumbling near continuous. The storms seems to be dumping themselves in the hinterland and running out of steam before they get to the coast so your daughter will probably come home a bit soggy but apart from that, I think she'll be good It's lovely today and ground seems to be drying out a bit.
Think it's mainly off over the Gold Coast tonight but only to be expected as that Japanese guy payed a lot for his Penthouse pad that gets all the good lightning shots.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanks though it does make me feel very humble when I think I sit in the office helping with the coordination (and running like a headless chicken at times!) while they are out risking their lives.

Has its funny sides though, thinking of last night at 1.30am when the lights went out and I was trying to power up a laptop on an aircard in the dark - and 6.30 this morning as I emerged from the Centre into the corridor looking like I hadn't slept for a week and clutching a grubby coffee mug and walked straight into Anna Bligh, who (of course) looked immaculate even at that time of day, and who was accompanied by a film crew! One hasty retreat was beaten!!!!
Did you invite her along to next weeks bash ?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Did you invite her along to next weeks bash ?
Blimey - it's certainly on it's way!!!

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/ID...oop.shtml#skip

Rudi
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:54 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rudi
Blimey - it's certainly on it's way!!!

http://mirror.bom.gov.au/products/ID...oop.shtml#skip

Rudi
Nah! just squeezing past us.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Nah! just squeezing past us.
I reckon the big nasty looking black and red bit will pass south of me but the smaller red and yellow bit will be here in around an hour! Dogs are already going mental though.

R
x
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Just starting up again out this way (Kenmore)
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

The sky has gone really dark and the lightning has started here.
Quite creepy
x
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

The free fireworks show is just reaching us now

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.