Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Old Nov 30th 2006, 10:52 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Ongoing Weather Thread – Storms, Drought, Climate!!!

Originally Posted by Wol
Don't know what you're all wittering on about!

I looked at four weather forecasts this morning - two from the weather Channel.

They were:

1) Clear and sunny
2) Overcast/cloudy all day
3) Drizzle
4) Rain and showers

So I exercised my democratic right and chose the cloudy option - since I would be on site all day and didn't want to burn.

And it *was*!
Some nuget on the weather today said it was going to be sunny all day, he must have been mistaking it with yesterday when it was 41 in the shade. I'm afraid one day of grey is enough I'll chose the sunny option tomorrow.
Old Dec 1st 2006, 8:32 am

Default Re: Stormy Weather

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its now blowing a full gale - 60kph. Haven't heard from annqldau or 232bar so lets just hope the wind is blowinf the fire the right way

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1800561.htm

And iPom...... I hope this doesn't mean you're under threat again?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...1/s1800547.htm

SE Qld is one a Fire Weather Warning again tomorrow, and I don't think it'll be alone.

Not a good night, stay safe everyone.
So the fire up at Kurwongbah seems to be rumbling on... do you have a latest update?
Old Dec 17th 2006, 2:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

After last nights storms in SE Qld.....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1813292.htm

and specifically for Noosa Shire - save your water!!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1813306.htm

Our SES guys were out to midnight last night, only stopped then because ordered to for fatigue management. Many back out this morning. Childers and Cooroy copped the worst, with lots of roof damage and a staggeringly large request for tarpaulins (several hundred) to be sent up from the warehouse down here. Wind gust over Double Island Point reported in excess of 200kph
Old Dec 17th 2006, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fiona&malc
Is been the same here Wendy, and its still blowing a gale outside !!!
I had to put the heater on earlier i was freezin!!!!
I wish it was freezing here. its abt 30 which on farenheit, i think is abt 86.
I'm bloody drenched with sweat
Old Dec 17th 2006, 9:08 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

After last nights storms in SE Qld.....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1813292.htm

and specifically for Noosa Shire - save your water!!
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1813306.htm

Our SES guys were out to midnight last night, only stopped then because ordered to for fatigue management. Many back out this morning. Childers and Cooroy copped the worst, with lots of roof damage and a staggeringly large request for tarpaulins (several hundred) to be sent up from the warehouse down here. Wind gust over Double Island Point reported in excess of 200kph
Just heard from cresta57 that he hasn't been blown away - or not quite......though it sounds like it was close.

edited to add....83mm if rain in 35mins - thats not bad!

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 17th 2006 at 9:18 am.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 12:37 pm

Just heard from cresta57 that he hasn't been blown away - or not quite......though it sounds like it was close.

edited to add....83mm if rain in 35mins - thats not bad!
Has he got phone and electric still then? He'll be peed if he hasn't. He's picked a dodgy spot they always seem to head his way must be his natural magnetism.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 1:00 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by annqldau
Has he got phone and electric still then? He'll be peed if he hasn't. He's picked a dodgy spot they always seem to head his way must be his natural magnetism.
Lost power yesterday afternoon, he got it back just before I did that post, so about 24 hours offline. Stuff flying about under the house and a nearby tree hit by lightning
Seemed most concerned about damage to the beer fridge :scared: :scared:
i hope he'll give us a full report tomorrow .....
Old Dec 17th 2006, 7:21 pm

Lost power yesterday afternoon, he got it back just before I did that post, so about 24 hours offline. Stuff flying about under the house and a nearby tree hit by lightning
Seemed most concerned about damage to the beer fridge :scared: :scared:
i hope he'll give us a full report tomorrow .....
'The beer fridge' if the sacred centre of the house has been damaged he will be upset that will be worse than loss of lecky. Was the bbq flying around last time. We came home to house in one piece so think it missed our area again. Seem to keep going either side of us at the moment and they can feel free to continue doing so.
Old Dec 17th 2006, 9:31 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Brief update;
We had a bit of a squall blow through on Saturday lunchtime, 16mm of rain in about an hour. It looked like more on the way so we started to prepare for a big storm bringing in all the loose items from the veranda. Half way through that the storm hit and we had torrential rain and howling winds. We lost the door of the beer fridge as well as the cupboard that sits on top of the fridge[ I had to throw out a few salad items to be able to get all the beer into the housefridge, who cares how much lettuce is when beer is getting warm ]. A tree in the yard was struck by lightening, just the thunder was enough to knock out the power and phones for 24 hrs.
The storm only lasted about 30 mins and in that time we had a further 83mm of rain. If the pump had been working I'd have celebrated with a nice long bath
Old Dec 18th 2006, 1:35 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by cresta57
Brief update;
We had a bit of a squall blow through on Saturday lunchtime, 16mm of rain in about an hour. It looked like more on the way so we started to prepare for a big storm bringing in all the loose items from the veranda. Half way through that the storm hit and we had torrential rain and howling winds. We lost the door of the beer fridge as well as the cupboard that sits on top of the fridge[ I had to throw out a few salad items to be able to get all the beer into the housefridge, who cares how much lettuce is when beer is getting warm ]. A tree in the yard was struck by lightening, just the thunder was enough to knock out the power and phones for 24 hrs.
The storm only lasted about 30 mins and in that time we had a further 83mm of rain. If the pump had been working I'd have celebrated with a nice long bath
Thank goodness the beer survived - sod the lettuce, as you say! Priorities!!
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:55 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

We drove through Tiaro & Childers on the way up to Bundaberg on Saturday just a couple of hours after the storms had hit - it was truly like a war zone. The streets were littered with branches & leaves off trees, many trees were almost bare after the hail just decimated the foliage & cut it all up into pieces about the size of a 20 cent piece.

Buildings lost rooves (or is that roofs? ) & there were people boarding up broken windows etc. At Tiaro there were hundreds of trees down, including one in the cemetary & one HUGE one right across the main road that the SES or someone similar had cut a path through with a chainsaw.

Never seen such a mess from a storm & never seen so many trees uprooted & knocked down (Im talking SERIOUSLY big trees here ).
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:06 am

Brief update;
You shouldn't call the other half a salad item. Sounds like you had a good one... pity about the beer fridge will have to just drink it warm in future.

We didn't know anything about it TV was full of fires not storms.

Glad you all ok and still have a roof over your head anyway... .
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:14 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
We drove through Tiaro & Childers on the way up to Bundaberg on Saturday just a couple of hours after the storms had hit - it was truly like a war zone. The streets were littered with branches & leaves off trees, many trees were almost bare after the hail just decimated the foliage & cut it all up into pieces about the size of a 20 cent piece.

Buildings lost rooves (or is that roofs? ) & there were people boarding up broken windows etc. At Tiaro there were hundreds of trees down, including one in the cemetary & one HUGE one right across the main road that the SES or someone similar had cut a path through with a chainsaw.

Never seen such a mess from a storm & never seen so many trees uprooted & knocked down (Im talking SERIOUSLY big trees here ).
If you saw a fridge door it's mine!

The weather station at Gunalda [as you cut through the range just before Glemwood] recorded 200km winds on Saturday afternoon. All that damage from half an hours blow makes you appreciate just how bad Innisfail and Tully copped it when Larry went through.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:21 am

If you saw a fridge door it's mine!

The weather station at Gunalda [as you cut through the range just before Glemwood] recorded 200km winds on Saturday afternoon. All that damage from half an hours blow makes you appreciate just how bad Innisfail and Tully copped it when Larry went through.

Will keep an eye out for the fridge door but think you need to shelve the boat idea and invest in a new one.

They said on the radio today that the QLD weather info site is going to give greater advanced warning of storms but not sure you can always predict the unpredictable.

Best idea so far has been the idea to send out text messages to those in the threat area.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 9:26 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by annqldau
Will keep an eye out for the fridge door but think you need to shelve the boat idea and invest in a new one.

They said on the radio today that the QLD weather info site is going to give greater advanced warning of storms but not sure you can always predict the unpredictable.

Best idea so far has been the idea to send out text messages to those in the threat area.
They are working on that one. There is a limit to how much can be done with warning for a storm like this one though - it got very savage very quickly. At least with something like Larry we could see it coming several days ahead and could track it as it headed for landfall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.