British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   BE Members in disaster-affected parts of Aus update here please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/members-disaster-affected-parts-aus-update-here-please-700142/)

Sherlock Holmes Jan 11th 2011 12:24 pm

BE Members in disaster-affected parts of Aus update here please

This post is for BE members in affected flood areas to sign in to let us know that they are okay.

For those with info about other members who may not have power/internet to update us about them.

Any help needed.

Any offers of help if possible.

This is about member WELFARE, please add other comments to the other threads that are ongoing.

Pollyana Jan 11th 2011 3:13 pm

Re: BE Members in QLD/NSW update here please

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 9093164)
This post is for BE members in affected flood areas to sign in to let us know that they are okay.

For those with info about other members who may not have power/internet to update us about them.

Any help needed.

Any offers of help if possible.

This is about member WELFARE, please add other comments to the other threads that are ongoing.

Lots of people have asked, and I know I have some pm's I haven't got to yet....so just to let you know, I'm fine, my place is at the top of a hill so unless next door's pool overflows I'll be fine :fingerscrossed:
Not posting much cos I'm in the State coordination centre working long hours. Dipping into BE now and then is keeping me sane!

4500 Times Jan 11th 2011 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9093495)
Lots of people have asked, and I know I have some pm's I haven't got to yet....so just to let you know, I'm fine, my place is at the top of a hill so unless next door's pool overflows I'll be fine :fingerscrossed:
Not posting much cos I'm in the State coordination centre working long hours. Dipping into BE now and then is keeping me sane!

Good Work Polly...we need more of your sort...:thumbsup:

Alfresco Jan 11th 2011 7:26 pm

Hi,

All ok where we are. GEM road is flooded and impassable so we are stuck here.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_MWcZ1BsFJnU/TS...0/P1040098.JPG

Kim67 Jan 11th 2011 9:11 pm

Kim67 and family still above water. Parts of our suburb (Coorparoo) will go under in the next 24 hours but our house should be right. We'll just have won't be able to get anywhere soon. Heard from Poitin yesterday and they are okay too.:thumbup:

DeadVim Jan 11th 2011 9:56 pm

Chez Vim is still happily above water, creek is falling, roads passable, much rejoicing for now.

Good luck everyone else.

Jen1977ni Jan 11th 2011 10:45 pm

The rain seems to have finally stopped in Toowoomba and I report patches of blue sky and the sun is trying to shine, very happy about this but dreading going out later, our poor wee CBD is a mess.

Thoughts and prayers go out to those who have or are yet to be affected by the floods. My thoughts are also with those in the Defence Force/SES/Police etc who are involved in the rescue effort, may God give them the strength to carry on, and a speedy return to their families.

Karma to you all, Jen xo

Pollyana Jan 12th 2011 3:48 am

Alfresco has sent me a text, water at the end of the street though they are still safe. Power off, not expected back on for 2-3 days so he's likely to be offline.

Jen1977ni Jan 12th 2011 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9094936)
Alfresco has sent me a text, water at the end of the street though they are still safe. Power off, not expected back on for 2-3 days so he's likely to be offline.

Oh no, poor Alf! :( Is everyone else ok?

cresta57 Jan 12th 2011 11:51 am

We're all fine up here in Gympie. We're into our 4th day of isolation, no fresh produce & no bread or milk. Lucky for us Deb keeps the pantry & freezer well stocked for emergencies. I hope they re-open the roads soon or she may decide to bake fresh bread & I only just sharpened the chainsaw.:ohmy:
My local Rural brigade, along with loads of others, is helping sluice out the mud & debris from the shops & roads in the CBD as the water subsides. We hose them out & then they clean up the rest & will be open for trade in a couple of days, if the weather holds. Towns like ours that flood regularly are well prepared & have an excellent evacuation plan.
It's places that have flash flooded that are in our hearts & thoughts.

DeadVim Jan 12th 2011 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 9095658)
We're all fine up here in Gympie. We're into our 4th day of isolation, no fresh produce & no bread or milk. Lucky for us Deb keeps the pantry & freezer well stocked for emergencies. I hope they re-open the roads soon or she may decide to bake fresh bread & I only just sharpened the chainsaw.:ohmy:
My local Rural brigade, along with loads of others, is helping sluice out the mud & debris from the shops & roads in the CBD as the water subsides. We hose them out & then they clean up the rest & will be open for trade in a couple of days, if the weather holds. Towns like ours that flood regularly are well prepared & have an excellent evacuation plan.
It's places that have flash flooded that are in our hearts & thoughts.

Stay safe mate, sounds like it's under control there, good to hear :)

Sherlock Holmes Jan 12th 2011 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 9094037)
Hi,

All ok where we are. GEM road is flooded and impassable so we are stuck here.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_MWcZ1BsFJnU/TS...0/P1040098.JPG

You seem to have aged a lot since you got here! :D But at least you are well.

Thanks everyone for adding your bit and good luck. :)

BEVS Jan 12th 2011 6:39 pm

I've just been watching the most amazing footage of a tiny tugboat steering a massive concrete structure away from your main gateway bridge.

Pollyana Jan 12th 2011 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9096515)
I've just been watching the most amazing footage of a tiny tugboat steering a massive concrete structure away from your main gateway bridge.

Some pretty amazing shots aren't there - such a huge expanse of water!

Jen1977ni Jan 12th 2011 10:33 pm

Any news on scubaemma? Just saw what I thought was her area on the TV?!