Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???

Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???

Old Aug 24th 2007, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud ofvickys has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone else in the middle of a friggin cyclone???

Just to say that i hope everyone is ok and the weather clears soon for you all without too much damage

take care
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

BayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud of

I hope everyone is OK this morning and not too waterlogged.

I'm in Hervey Bay and yesterday's storm was one of the roughest I've been through. I was in Pialba which is at the top end of the Bay and it wasn't anywhere near as bad up that end as it was in Urangan.

I remember years ago (I think it was around November 1988) when a storm came in off the ocean and completely devastated the esplanade from Gatakers Bay to Urangan. It would have been around 6pm when it hit and it didn't last long, 20 minutes tops, and came in without any warning. Usually Fraser Island protects the Bay but this one came down between the mainland and the Island so it hit at full force. We had a shop on the esplanade at the time so after it finished we set off to see what damage had been done. There were fallen trees from one end to the other; there was no way you could drive on the Esplanade but one street back and everything was as normal.

We are 10 minutes out of Urangan and our place came through with flying colours, the water tanks are full and the dam nearly overflowed
Old Aug 24th 2007, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BayWhale
I hope everyone is OK this morning and not too waterlogged.

I'm in Hervey Bay and yesterday's storm was one of the roughest I've been through. I was in Pialba which is at the top end of the Bay and it wasn't anywhere near as bad up that end as it was in Urangan.

I remember years ago (I think it was around November 1988) when a storm came in off the ocean and completely devastated the esplanade from Gatakers Bay to Urangan. It would have been around 6pm when it hit and it didn't last long, 20 minutes tops, and came in without any warning. Usually Fraser Island protects the Bay but this one came down between the mainland and the Island so it hit at full force. We had a shop on the esplanade at the time so after it finished we set off to see what damage had been done. There were fallen trees from one end to the other; there was no way you could drive on the Esplanade but one street back and everything was as normal.

We are 10 minutes out of Urangan and our place came through with flying colours, the water tanks are full and the dam nearly overflowed
Morning all, seems to have quietened down a lot, have a few trees over in the back garden but no structural damage to house. Mark got some good video footage of the floods in Noosa itself, will try and download them and put them on here as they're really enlightening! I think the amount of rainfall you get is dependent on the area you live. Up here we seem to get a lot of rain anyway. August is the driest month, but it still rains weekly. I think the longest period we've been without rain here is 3 weeks, then we were hit with one hell of a storm! During the summer it rains right on cue nearly every night. My mate came up from Brisbane, and couldn't believe it. Talking to locals its cos we're in a channel or something, Noosa and Tewantin can stay dry, but Doonan, Verrierdale, Ninderry and Peregian will get wet!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:16 pm
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Do any of you know what it is like at Cotton Tree in Maroochydore as I have some good friends at the caravan park there right where the river meets the ocean.....I hope you and they are all ok
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snappy
Do any of you know what it is like at Cotton Tree in Maroochydore as I have some good friends at the caravan park there right where the river meets the ocean.....I hope you and they are all ok
From what I can gather just off the news they'll be flooded. Tides higher this evening than yesterday
Old Aug 25th 2007, 1:26 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by glittababe
From what I can gather just off the news they'll be flooded. Tides higher this evening than yesterday
Oh bugger I can't get hold of them so I don't know how they are.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh bugger I can't get hold of them so I don't know how they are.
Keep trying their mobiles, light showers now so things should start to dry out a bit! Might even get to see some sunshine!
Old Aug 25th 2007, 1:41 am
I need a beer.....

Keep trying their mobiles, light showers now so things should start to dry out a bit! Might even get to see some sunshine!
I will try them again later on, they are more than likely otherwise occupied

One thing that is confusing me is from the shots of the dam down there it looks like it is brimming with water so how can they say it hasn't touched the dams????
Old Aug 25th 2007, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

I will try them again later on, they are more than likely otherwise occupied

One thing that is confusing me is from the shots of the dam down there it looks like it is brimming with water so how can they say it hasn't touched the dams????
Ah the dams on the sunshine coast (Lake Baroon, wappa,cooroibah,macdonald,corothrabah etc) are always near full all year round, what they mean is it hasn't touched the dams near Brisbane and to the west (wivenhoe,somerset etc). Those dams are the ones that supply Brisbane and from what I can gather off the news, are virtually empty.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

BayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud of

My daughter lives in Alex not far from Cotton Tree and she says they arn't worried it all seems fine.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:45 am
I need a beer.....

Originally Posted by BayWhale
My daughter lives in Alex not far from Cotton Tree and she says they arn't worried it all seems fine.
Thanks I finally managed to get hold of them and they are all ok
Old Aug 25th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks I finally managed to get hold of them and they are all ok
Finally stopped raining! Hurrah, but now floods waters rising due to high tide! Peregian beach no access as David Low hwy closed, roads given way (bloody aussie built)! Mark back at work again, didn't get home till 11pm, he's shattered and yep he got soaking wet! Still no access to Eumundi/Doonan. Ah well, more quality time at home with the kids
Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I had a tree come down in a bit of wind the other week. Annoying tree.

I cut halfway through it with the chainsaw then decided I was too tired to safely fell it. (I should work for Worksafe- I'd be a shoe-in).

A few days later I was looking down the back from the kitchen and saw it was down. Beauty! It made my day. (I know!)

"Look Darling - that tree is down! Never liked it (etc) "
Old Aug 25th 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, driving to work yesterday was the least of my worries. Woke up at 1am Fri night/Sat morning to my cat screaming and howling really distressed and dragging herself around with paralysed back legs. My first thought was ''tick'' must get a vet asap. I couldn't see a 24 hour service in the directory, so phoned my vet in Mooloolaba and she agreed to meet me at the surgery, although we were both a bit concerned about the drive. So I drove through the rain and wind with my cat screaming all the way and throwing herself around the carrier she was in. Vet took her home with her, as she was really difficult to examine due to distress. Her husband is a vet also, so they were able to put her under sedation and give her pain relief, but ruled out tick paralysis straight away as her symptoms and behaviour were not typical. Anyway, they phone at 7am and said it was most likely an embolism from a heart problem (being 15 years old) and it blocked the aorta and the blood supply to the lower body, so she had to be euthansed. Apparently it is a condition known in cats and happens suddenly - she had been perfect all day and evening. She is the cat in my avatar
Old Aug 25th 2007, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and don't let Barry do any DIY!
Too late !! He's already broken a bone in his foot and a small one in his hand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.