Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Intention to work abroad

Intention to work abroad

Old Mar 29th 2018, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

Qwerty2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intention to work abroad

Hello, looking for some advice as I have searched the internet and not came to a direct answer. I have recently been charged with assault but never served any prison time. I am a qualified engineer and intend on moving abroad in the somewhat near future. I have no country in mind specifically but a few countries for example such as Spain, Italy, Portugal and so on would be ideal as I believe I wouldn’t be accepted into either New Zealand or Australia. Has anyone any advice if it would still be possible to move and work in these countries and if so how difficult it would be to gain a citizenship?
Any advice would be very appreciated.
Thank you.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 7:57 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intention to work abroad

A lot will depend on what citizenship you currently have.

Other than that, you really need to give more details of your circumstances, age, skills, etc. before people can give you meaningful advice.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 8:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Just charged or convicted as well?
Old Mar 29th 2018, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Qwerty2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
A lot will depend on what citizenship you currently have.

Other than that, you really need to give more details of your circumstances, age, skills, etc. before people can give you meaningful advice.
I am currently a UK citizen and have stayed in the UK my entire life. I am 24 and do programme engineering. I am a single male still living with parents if that helps. I was only charged I wasn’t convicted and have served no jail time.
Thanks again for the replies much appreciated.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 10:34 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Pre-Brexit (or the end of the transition period) you can move to another EEA country under Freedom of Movement rules without an issue. Emigrating to Australia, New Zealand, Canada or the United States may be more problematic with a criminal record but it's not necessarily a showstopper.

You need to be more specific in regards to your assault charge. You state you were charged but not convicted. Does that mean that you have yet to go to trial, that you went to trial but were found innocent or that you accepted a police caution? How recent was this?
Old Mar 30th 2018, 6:42 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Qwerty2
Hello, looking for some advice as I have searched the internet and not came to a direct answer. I have recently been charged with assault but never served any prison time. I am a qualified engineer and intend on moving abroad in the somewhat near future. I have no country in mind specifically but a few countries for example such as Spain, Italy, Portugal and so on would be ideal as I believe I wouldn’t be accepted into either New Zealand or Australia. Has anyone any advice if it would still be possible to move and work in these countries and if so how difficult it would be to gain a citizenship?
Any advice would be very appreciated.
Thank you.
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Independently of your past, do you speak any European languages? You'd be facing stiff competition from equally qualified, bilingual nationals chasing any jobs going, and a prospective employer wouldn't consider a candidate who can only communicate in English. You'd have to check that your qualifications can be validated in the country chosen. Check the unemployment figures in the countries you mention, all fields are affected. If you'd mentioned France, I would've suggested looking on the Pôle-Emploi, Indeed, Cadremploi... sites to check on jobs presently on offer to give you an idea of the potential work market. There must be equivalent sites in the other South European countries you mention....
All the best!