Reload this Page >

New Member looking for advice and connections

New Member looking for advice and connections

Old Apr 4th 2018, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

svc1406 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Member looking for advice and connections

Hi
I am a complete newby here. So, please excuse me if I am posting in the wrong place. But I thought I need to start somewhere..... Maybe a little introduction and why I am here might help?
Having brought my Daughter up single handed, from 4 yrs old. But now as she is a young lady (of whom I am extremely proud), my restrictions are now lifted and I can now look at getting my life into the place where I want it to be.
Although, I looked at moving to another European country when my daughter was school age, having looked at and visited 4 places (Italy, Malta, Spain & Hungary) from the perspective of moving to live there. I always found the prospect too daunting as a single mother of a school aged child.
I now am open to looking at moving within Europe, but I am unsure where is the best place for me. Especially as a single person, who will need to establish myself in a new community and way of life.
I am hoping to find out more about various options, from expats living in Europe, looking for inspiration and advice on where to base the start of my search for my new home/life.
I will need to work wherever I go, this is also something I am hoping to find more information on, with regards opportunities in various locations and the chances of being able to sustain a reasonably good standard of living.
Thanks all. x
Old Apr 4th 2018, 8:26 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Member looking for advice and connections

Originally Posted by svc1406
Hi
I am a complete newby here. So, please excuse me if I am posting in the wrong place. But I thought I need to start somewhere..... Maybe a little introduction and why I am here might help?
Having brought my Daughter up single handed, from 4 yrs old. But now as she is a young lady (of whom I am extremely proud), my restrictions are now lifted and I can now look at getting my life into the place where I want it to be.
Although, I looked at moving to another European country when my daughter was school age, having looked at and visited 4 places (Italy, Malta, Spain & Hungary) from the perspective of moving to live there. I always found the prospect too daunting as a single mother of a school aged child.
I now am open to looking at moving within Europe, but I am unsure where is the best place for me. Especially as a single person, who will need to establish myself in a new community and way of life.
I am hoping to find out more about various options, from expats living in Europe, looking for inspiration and advice on where to base the start of my search for my new home/life.
I will need to work wherever I go, this is also something I am hoping to find more information on, with regards opportunities in various locations and the chances of being able to sustain a reasonably good standard of living.
Thanks all. x
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Do you speak any of the languages of the countries you mention, and well enough to compete with bilingual nationals when job-seeking? Whatever your line of work is, check that your qualifications can be validated in the country of your choice....
Old Apr 7th 2018, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Member looking for advice and connections

Hi,
Have you thought why you want to move to another country?
What are you looking for?
Many people make such a move successfully but there are also those who find that they have just exchanged one set of problems for a different set of problems.
Living in another country can lead to social isolation if you do not speak the language to a conversational level especially if you are not working.
If possible you should start with having holidays in your chosen country and try to imagine what it would be like to actually live there.
Consider where you would be able to get work or how you would rent accommodation or if you would be covered for healthcare (and what it would cost).
You should perhaps ask for advice on the country forum of your choice for detailed advice of Brits who have moved to that country.
Good luck with your move.