Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

2 Pin Adaptors

2 Pin Adaptors

Old Sep 2nd 2012, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future
Default 2 Pin Adaptors

Is anyone having any problems with the 2 pin adaptor plugs you buy in the UK? I have used them with hairdryers, pc's and kettles and on some occasions blown the electric. I was going to say fuse, but there is none in the plug.
I have blown the electric twice in an internet cafe, and will not show my face there again. Yet I can go elsewhere and there is no problem. It dosen't happen all the time, but speaking to an electrician, he says that the 2 pin plug should have 2 metal strips on each side for the earth. One stip might blow it out.
I would have put it down to one country, Hungary, but it has also happened to me in Switzerland. Almost all the adaptors you buy here have only one strip. I am now in the process of buying adaptors with 2 strips, which are pricey, and thats if you can find them. A double in boots yesterday cost me £8.
Any thoughts or info would be appreciated.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 11:22 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 Pin Adaptors

have you tried Maplins ?? usually cheaper there
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

Thanks for that. Tried Maplins, they have the adaptors but not sure if it had the two metal strips because it was sealed packaging and they wouldn't open it to have a look. I found some on Amazon though , which turned out cheaper.
Will keep to these adaptors just in case.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 3:45 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

even here in Spain you can buy similar adaptors, some have the 2 outer strips (for the earth) and some don't. and there is a price difference

if the manufacturers plate shows a square inside a square symbol next to the voltage then that means the item is dual insulated and doesnt require an earth.
just depends on how safe you want to make the item you are holding in your hand
Old Sep 4th 2012, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

I just can't afford the chargers/adaptors to blow for phones and laptops etc. especially when travelling. If the electirc blows, it blows and you switch it back on. But if it should do some damage to expensive equipment then......
Today, found 2 socket ones, double metal strip in Superdrug, just over £3 and an offer on, 2 for 1. A big difference in the prices up to now. Extortionate. Anyway, got enough to light up[ Blackpool.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bronty
I just can't afford the chargers/adaptors to blow for phones and laptops etc. especially when travelling. If the electirc blows, it blows and you switch it back on. But if it should do some damage to expensive equipment then......
Today, found 2 socket ones, double metal strip in Superdrug, just over £3 and an offer on, 2 for 1. A big difference in the prices up to now. Extortionate. Anyway, got enough to light up[ Blackpool.
Why dont you use a fused UK multisocket in the adapter with the correct rating fuse for your appliance(s)?
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

I know that now. Tricky when all you have on you is the recomended normal adaptors, works most places and then all of a sudden the electric blows in the internet cafe etc. I have to be honest, I think some of these places are dubiously wired. I just want to cover all bases now I know.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:40 pm

surely mobiles and laptops are battery powered and operate via a charger, so there should be little/no damage to eqpt if the mains fails.
at least it allows you to do a controlled shutdown - unlike when I had 3 mains trips in the past 10 days, desktops don't like that, nor do any programmes that may be running.

currently looking for a reasonably priced UPS

/
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

I hope so, better safe than sorry. Have seen some pretty inetersting wiring in my time.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 12:03 pm

I hope so, better safe than sorry. Have seen some pretty inetersting wiring in my time.
oh you are not the only one - I am a qualified portable appliance tester.

and after many years in building management, the antics people get up to under their desks makes you wonder how the hell they ever got/keep their well paid jobs.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

I stayed in a very large expensive guest house a while back, and every time I switched the hair dryer or perculator on, the electric shorted out. They told me to only use one socket at a time, and listen to this....they gave me a sweeping brush so that every time it happens I can push the switch back using the handle, as the box was located on the ground floor by the entrance.
Two sockets in the room, one in the middle of the wall half way to the ceiling. My mobile used to hang in the middle of the wall when recharging.
Talk about electrics.