Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe
Reload this Page >

Telephoning in europe

Telephoning in europe

Old Sep 2nd 2012, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future
Default Telephoning in europe

In the UK I use cheap international calls from a variety of providers, where you call a number and then connect to the counrty you want at a very cheap rate: such as Hungary is 3p and UAE is 11p.
Is there anything remotely similar anywhere in europe using the local networks? I have tried searching in Hungary, which is of main interest at the moment, in every language, and can't find anything. Can anyone offer some advice or point me in the right direction, apart from using skype?
Old Sep 6th 2012, 6:23 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Telephoning in europe

Originally Posted by bronty
In the UK I use cheap international calls from a variety of providers, where you call a number and then connect to the counrty you want at a very cheap rate: such as Hungary is 3p and UAE is 11p.
Is there anything remotely similar anywhere in europe using the local networks? I have tried searching in Hungary, which is of main interest at the moment, in every language, and can't find anything. Can anyone offer some advice or point me in the right direction, apart from using skype?
Voip "Voice over IP", We get few calls to most worldwide landlines via our broadband supplier
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

bronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant futurebronty has a brilliant future

I was hoping for some codes on the mobile, as in the UK, when I don't have access to the internet. If I get the inetrnet, sometimes the access is so slow, might as well send a letter.
Surely it can't just be the UK and US that have these codes!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 9:57 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bronty
I was hoping for some codes on the mobile, as in the UK, when I don't have access to the internet. If I get the inetrnet, sometimes the access is so slow, might as well send a letter.
Surely it can't just be the UK and US that have these codes!
well a quick google for "phone cards hungary" brings up a goodly number of suppliers so I should imagine you will be able to get short codes as well

I understand it isnt all that backwoods out there.

tried posting in the Hungary forums??
Old Sep 7th 2012, 9:18 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Voip "Voice over IP", We get few calls to most worldwide landlines via our broadband supplier
You can now phone free from smartphone (eg iphone or android) to smartphone with the TuMe app (and I believe other apps have similar capabilities) http://www.tumeapp.com/en/
Old Sep 7th 2012, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Cards turn out expensive, would have preferred a short code for local networks, but no-one knows of any so far. Had a look at TuMe, thought I had found what I am looking for, but needs a wifi connection. This is sometimes impossible in Hungary, believe me. They say they have the same as the west but it really has a lot to be desired, in everything, not just communications.
At present it is sticking to good old SMS to inform people when I have found a wifi outlet to skype them, which isn't often can you believe! Then the signal is so poor it reverts to sound only, and soundslike you're in the wheeltappers and shunters club.
Yes I use g3 and other phones, costly. Need a short code on the local telephone network, if anyone comes up with something.
Really appreciated to all beforehand.