practical exam theory

Old Aug 11th 2016, 1:28 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: practical exam theory

Originally Posted by jaykay2279
Hi Michael,

Ive never had hands on experience with a DOL, my work is mainly domestic, commercial never industrial.

Im quiet good a reading circuit diagrams etc, but the down under centre have sent a ladder diagram (never heard of one until I googled it). So just looking for the correct circuit wiring digram to get my head around it.

Ive picked one up from my wholesaler with an overload relay so going to give myself some hands on practice just looking for diagram that is correct that I can work from.

Unfortunately or fortunately I run my own business and I've cut back the number of guys I employ so I'm the most experienced. But there is always something new to learn I guess.

Any help would be appreciated.
If you were replying to me, I'm definitely not Michael

Some added info here - Direct On Line (DOL) Motor Starter | EEP
Old Aug 12th 2016, 2:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
G'won. My name is Fred really.

old.sparkles is a highly qualified accomplished sparky jaykay2279 so you are in her good safe hands.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 9:50 am
Just Joined

dsmithy is an unknown quantity at this point

Currently studying for my future skills Assessment which is on Tuesday in Brisbane. Very nervous to say the least
I am wondering sparkles about the latest link you have put up regarding the DOL starter. This is how i have revised it to be but in earlier posts (Dunes), other diagrams show a neutral to the relay coil (A2) from thermal relay NC (95)
so confused please help!!!
ps. some great advice by all the guys on here, nice to see!

Some added info here - Direct On Line (DOL) Motor Starter | EEP
Old Aug 26th 2016, 10:50 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dsmithy
Currently studying for my future skills Assessment which is on Tuesday in Brisbane. Very nervous to say the least
I am wondering sparkles about the latest link you have put up regarding the DOL starter. This is how i have revised it to be but in earlier posts (Dunes), other diagrams show a neutral to the relay coil (A2) from thermal relay NC (95)
so confused please help!!!
ps. some great advice by all the guys on here, nice to see!
I think you are misreading the drawing dsmithy. the only connection at A2 is to neutral to complete the control side of the circuit.

The line drawing at the top explains the links. From the live feed, through the stop button (N/C - normally closed, labelled 11 and 12), through a start button (N/O, numbers 23 and 24) then through the thermal overload (95 and 96) onto the coil for the contactor A1. There is also a 'hold-on' connection through the normally open contacts on the contactor 13 and 14, which will close when the contactor pulls in and maintain the control circuit when you take your finger off the start button.

Does that make sense?
Old Aug 26th 2016, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Yeh it does thanks sparkles but when i compare it to the other diagram in that link you kindly put up it confuses me. this shows A2 of the coil being supplied a phase from the line side of the contactor. It also says this in the descriptive notes given with the diagram. Am i also right in thinking that it doesnt really matter which order the start/stop is wired and also numbers can be different depending on contactors. Also may be just going mad as my brain is just mush at the minute trying to revise/learn stuff i done 10 years ago for this assessment on tuesday
Thanks in advance!

I think you are misreading the drawing dsmithy. the only connection at A2 is to neutral to complete the control side of the circuit.

The line drawing at the top explains the links. From the live feed, through the stop button (N/C - normally closed, labelled 11 and 12), through a start button (N/O, numbers 23 and 24) then through the thermal overload (95 and 96) onto the coil for the contactor A1. There is also a 'hold-on' connection through the normally open contacts on the contactor 13 and 14, which will close when the contactor pulls in and maintain the control circuit when you take your finger off the start button.

Does that make sense?
Old Aug 27th 2016, 6:15 am

Yeh it does thanks sparkles but when i compare it to the other diagram in that link you kindly put up it confuses me. this shows A2 of the coil being supplied a phase from the line side of the contactor. It also says this in the descriptive notes given with the diagram. Am i also right in thinking that it doesnt really matter which order the start/stop is wired and also numbers can be different depending on contactors. Also may be just going mad as my brain is just mush at the minute trying to revise/learn stuff i done 10 years ago for this assessment on tuesday
Thanks in advance!
The other link has a general discussion of DOL that I found on the fly. I think they are also using 415V control which sometimes comes up. I don't really like either as 24V control is safer I reckon.

The drawing with a link from the thermal overload is using that as the hold on contact as the contactor there only has the 3 poles.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the fast reply sparkles. Dont suppose you know which 1 they require you to do in the assessment then? Im also struggling for revision material as all my stuff is back in the UK. I have been through all the posts with a couple of good links but some are also redundant now. Any notes or links would be much appreciated!

The other link has a general discussion of DOL that I found on the fly. I think they are also using 415V control which sometimes comes up. I don't really like either as 24V control is safer I reckon.

The drawing with a link from the thermal overload is using that as the hold on contact as the contactor there only has the 3 poles.
Old Aug 27th 2016, 7:47 am

Thanks for the fast reply sparkles. Dont suppose you know which 1 they require you to do in the assessment then? Im also struggling for revision material as all my stuff is back in the UK. I have been through all the posts with a couple of good links but some are also redundant now. Any notes or links would be much appreciated!
I did my assessment with Vic Uni and had 230V control.

Theory wise it was DC resistor circuits (series and parallel), a bit on power factor, real power and apparent power. Khan academy will have some stuff as they have electrical engineering as a subject but you may just have to use google a lot.

Check out Vetassess site for safe disconnect / reconnect procedure though.
Old Sep 10th 2016, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

Adamski681 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, just filling out future skills elective on general electrician construction section but stuck with what to write in the key skills and knowledge anyone filled this section out I've got an idea on what I want to put but best to find out from anyone thats done it.� ����� ����
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 8:10 am
Just Joined

dave992 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good morning all,

Once the theory and practical day is over, how long before you get the results, if you receive a fail mark can you re-take a part of the exam or would you have to re-take the whole exam

thanks
Old Oct 2nd 2016, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by dave992
Good morning all,

Once the theory and practical day is over, how long before you get the results, if you receive a fail mark can you re-take a part of the exam or would you have to re-take the whole exam

thanks
My understanding is if you fail part of the assessment you need to retake all the assessment. I think when I did mine I waited around a week for the result, but I did mine with Vic Uni.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

dave992 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, would like to thanks all for the information given. i have now done an pass the electrical exam at down under centre in London. Please email me for any information. Thanks
Old Oct 27th 2016, 3:15 am

Hi all, would like to thanks all for the information given. i have now done an pass the electrical exam at down under centre in London. Please email me for any information. Thanks
Congratulations on passing Dave

Have things changed from what has been previously posted?
Old Nov 19th 2016, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

waveydaveyryan is an unknown quantity at this point

hi dave whats your email address?

i have my exam next week in the down under center and had some questions too

thanks
Old Nov 19th 2016, 2:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waveydaveyryan
hi dave whats your email address?

i have my exam next week in the down under center and had some questions too

thanks
BE is a public forum, so we ask that people don't put their email addresses or other personal info on it, just to save them from all the spambots and weirdos out there! You can contact Dave via the forum once you have joined in it more and have access to the PM system, using the drop down menu when you click on his name.

HTH.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.