Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

License through correspondence

License through correspondence

Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Hughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to all
Default Re: License through correspondence

Hi Wendy

Thanks for the vote of confidence
As long as I can take the Wiring Rules book into the exam with me, I'm sure I will be fine.

Dave
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hughmorriss
Hi Wendy

Thanks for the vote of confidence
As long as I can take the Wiring Rules book into the exam with me, I'm sure I will be fine.

Dave
Yes, you can.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 11:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yes, you can.

OH has just told me that you can also take the cable selection book and a few others in with you. Might be worth ringing the tutor and asking what they recommend you take with you so you don't forget anything!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

WarrenG is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently about to start ball rolling to oz with an agent recommending the following route for a skilled 175 visa:

IELTS Test (I'm 40yrs spark)
Skills assessment (Paper based)
Pratical assessment (Vetass)
Medicals
Police checks

Reading this thread about licenses, could someone please confirm if the licence is for people looking to set up their own business in oz, or is this required generally to work as a spark in oz?

The reason I ask is that the agent has told me that the vetassess is taken in the UK to prove that you know your stuff and therefore if you pass you can work in oz as a spark

Really want to make sure I can see the full road ahead, as pom from Aus says without the bumps

Last edited by WarrenG; Oct 8th 2008 at 11:32 am.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Hughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to all

Hi Warren G
The vetassess route will get you as far as being qualified to work as a spark in Oz. You will still need to get your license when you get there (as well as the necessary H&S stuff. To run your own business you will also need to get your Contractors License. I haven't looked into this as yet , but Steve 'O may be able to answer any of your questions.

Dave
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Hughmorriss;

The Vetassess does NOT qualify any sparks to work in Australia, its only for the ART or ARTC thats just a foot in the door for australia thats it. then once here depending on the state your going to live in it can be hard or easier to obtain the A class license i can recomend S/A for the license its a bloody lot easier there and the instructors are decent people & helpfull
Old Oct 8th 2008, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Hughmorriss;

The Vetassess does NOT qualify any sparks to work in Australia, its only for the ART or ARTC thats just a foot in the door for australia thats it. then once here depending on the state your going to live in it can be hard or easier to obtain the A class license i can recomend S/A for the license its a bloody lot easier there and the instructors are decent people & helpfull
Thanks guys for the replys.

It begs the question of why the vetassess is done in the UK if you have to retest in oz?

After all there is a cost on everything and also a time delay to book it and do it. If you have already proved by way of certification (C&G) that you are highly skilled and trained why do it twice?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

WarrenG;

im ever so sorry to say this mate, but the C&G are not worth a toss over here or any other higher qualifications, your training & certificates are just for the ARTC thats the ticket for migration & thats about it i know it comes as a shock to the system especially when you get here & look at the shite standard of workmanship, you will piss your sides laughing at some standards especially of the small self employed person.

If you can work with twin & earth your on a winner, thats 90% of the type of cabling here in domestic,commercial, industrial.??????? i rest my case.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

WarrenG;

im ever so sorry to say this mate, but the C&G are not worth a toss over here or any other higher qualifications, your training & certificates are just for the ARTC thats the ticket for migration & thats about it i know it comes as a shock to the system especially when you get here & look at the shite standard of workmanship, you will piss your sides laughing at some standards especially of the small self employed person.

If you can work with twin & earth your on a winner, thats 90% of the type of cabling here in domestic,commercial, industrial.??????? i rest my case.
Well that is a shock. I take it we are a bit over the top here in the UK compared to oz then?

Sounds to me like easier work just using mainly twin & earth.

So if I'm right, when you get to oz you need to complete a course based on the Aus wiring for a license to work as a spark for a company or as self employed? And you would recommend doing this in SA?
Old Oct 8th 2008, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

shar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to allshar07 is a name known to all

Hi my OH is interested in doing the correspondence course before we go (waiting for visa) can anyone tell me how much it costs approx for all workbooks etc and then when we get to Perth will book himself in for exam (in theory sounds great). Thanks for any info.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi Shar07

I have just paid $955AUD to do the AS3000 by correspondence. That includes the coursework, all the necessary books shipped to the UK, the assessment day and exam at PEER Port Adelaide.

PM me if you need further details.

Dave
Old Oct 8th 2008, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

Hughmorriss;

Sorry for clouding the issue. I did not mean it qualifies you to work as a spark in Oz, as I mentioned you still need a license, either as a Fitter or Mechanic.

My understanding of the Vetassess route was that the outcome of the Vetassess procedure negated the need for assessment by ARTC, and the Vetassess outcome would inform the applicant of any further training required to meet Oz Standards.

again sorry to everyone for any confusion caused.

Dave
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:15 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WarrenG
Thanks guys for the replys.

It begs the question of why the vetassess is done in the UK if you have to retest in oz?

After all there is a cost on everything and also a time delay to book it and do it. If you have already proved by way of certification (C&G) that you are highly skilled and trained why do it twice?
because of ££££££££££££££££££££££££$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$£££££££££� �£££££££££££££££££$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

o an a little bit of $$$$$$$$$$$$£££££££££££

no but a good idea maybe on there behalf to try and weed some of he lesser competent sparks that may have slipped through the net in england but then judging by what i have read on here they are all really sh1t over there anyway

dougie
Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=WarrenG;
they are not used to much else mate there are different type of cables for applications, but in the main its T&E, NO Pyro hardly ant SWA.
the UK are not over the top just good installation work & good sparks.

You shall have to do exams for the A class license its as simple as that mate, in Victoria its horrific, S/A PEER is a mix of wiring rules & cable calcs & some more but as i said before they are decent people.
Make sure you have all the right books, read & understand the wiring rules from back to front, every paragraph & sub paragraph.

The new wiring rules book is much easier now than the older one its more direct No Ambiguity just direct rules, people in the old book took advantage of the rules & that's when massive problems occurred.

if i get ow't from PEER regarding any sample exams i shall pass them on to you all.

regards
Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by WarrenG
I am currently about to start ball rolling to oz with an agent recommending the following route for a skilled 175 visa:

IELTS Test (I'm 40yrs spark)
Skills assessment (Paper based)
Pratical assessment (Vetass)
Medicals
Police checks

Reading this thread about licenses, could someone please confirm if the licence is for people looking to set up their own business in oz, or is this required generally to work as a spark in oz?

The reason I ask is that the agent has told me that the vetassess is taken in the UK to prove that you know your stuff and theref ore if you pass you can work in oz as a spark

Really want to make sure I can see the full road ahead, as pom from Aus says without the bumps
Info on licensing after Vetassess and visa

http://vetassess.com.au/index.cfm?menu=1.3a#tsa_OTSR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.