Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

License through correspondence

License through correspondence

Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

stixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nice
Default License through correspondence

Hello Again

Is anyone currently doing the wiring rules through correspondence with PEER Adelaide at the moment? Ive got the info from them Im just looking at timescales ie when to apply for my own. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers Dave
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:01 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of
Default Re: License through correspondence

Originally Posted by stixblue
Hello Again

Is anyone currently doing the wiring rules through correspondence with PEER Adelaide at the moment? Ive got the info from them Im just looking at timescales ie when to apply for my own. Any comments greatly appreciated.

Cheers Dave

Hi Dave

I,m not at the minute but will be in the future when my time is right.

When you say apply for your own do you mean the workbook / course ?

Or the Exam ?

I,m planning on paying for the course and getting the workbook etc about 4-5 months before i am due to fly that way i can work through it at my lesurie and apply for my exam in Adilaide once my flights are booked.

Not sure how long the wait is from applying for exam to sitting it thoug
So it will be something i would have to try and find out, that way it can all tie in nicely for when we arrive and onto starting work as quick as i can do...............after a couple of months pottering about of course

Does this help or make sense? i,m not sure but hey its friday afternoon and that makes it strongBOW time

Dougie
Old Sep 26th 2008, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

stixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nicestixblue is just really nice

Dear Dougie

Were both in the same boat here. Im hoping to do the same then hopefully fly to Adelaide once I arrive in Oz and sit the exam.

Dave
Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future

i have had my work book for about 4 months and have hardly looked at it i thought i would get it all done by the time i get to oz to, but i fly in 3 weeks! its very difficult to get motivated when you are here in the uk working. so i am going to wait till i get to oz and spend a couple of weeks on it there. spoke to peer last week and you can normally book an exam date a couple of weeks in advance so not much notice needed.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:12 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Dave what stage are you at in the rigmoral they call the application?

Thanks Chris saves me looking it up couple of weeks dont sound too bad, I can see where you are coming from though bet you are well busy with loads an loads of other stuff gettin ready to fly??

But when you get there you are not going to want to sit with your nose in a book for a week are you??

Tough one this i will have to resign to the bar (ok down stairs for another can and come up with a plan

Dougie
Old Sep 27th 2008, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Hello again Dougie

I have my practical assessment on the 13th October. My agent has everything ready to lodge my 175 skilled visa as long as I get through the practical. Agent to advise ourselves when to book Meds and Police checks. Once through the practical I want to start the ball rolling with the licensing. It all adds up dosen't it? How far are you in your application?

Dave
Old Sep 27th 2008, 1:00 pm
Swollen Member

Originally Posted by stixblue
Hello again Dougie

I have my practical assessment on the 13th October. My agent has everything ready to lodge my 175 skilled visa as long as I get through the practical. Agent to advise ourselves when to book Meds and Police checks. Once through the practical I want to start the ball rolling with the licensing. It all adds up dosen't it? How far are you in your application?

Dave
Yes it does start adding up quite quickly

Not very i,m afraid, I am just struggling to get together all my references fdrom previous employers which is proving a right pain in the arse TBH but should have them back an all the stat doc's done for the end of this week.

Hopefully then i can make the finishing touches to my folder / applicatioin and get it posted off next monday,

Then i will start filling in the visa process so fingers crossed i recieve a positive result from the TRA by the beginning of november

That way i send off the Visa app straight away and get it aknowledged before i turn 29 in Jan and lose some points off my App.

Well thats the plan anyway

Will it go smoothly and to schedule

everything crossed thou.

Dougie
Old Sep 30th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

somme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to beholdsomme is a splendid one to behold

It took my OH 4 weeks full time study, then to the exams in Adelaide, which he passed Loads he had forgotten and had to relearn, but that was his timescale if that helps.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

May i give you all a little Advice, if your going to PEER to do the exams, make sure you know the wiring rules book back to front, if not you shall fail & when i say know it back to front you must be able to interprit all the meaning of the Australian system.
Example
(Bars & Links)
every Main Switchboard (Consumer Unit) in Australia has a Earth & Neutral bar, However at the switchboard the Earth & Neutral bar has a link connecting the two bars together this is called MEN (Multiple Earthed Neutral), this link must NEVER be removed thats the earth connection from there is a earth cable direct to an Earth Copper Rod or Bar external to the property the earth bond is made there open to the elements.One new rule is there must be a Earth Tag installed on the Bar saying Safety Earth DO NOT Remove.
Then you must spray the connection of the copper cable on the Bar to protect the cable from the weather, the Earth Tag is a new rule so watch out for it on the exam.

Another newby, is when installing a RCD you may now ONLY connect Three Circuit Breakers Maximum to any RCD.
Another is all Circuit breakers must switch in one general direction NOT mixed up, like some are here.

Any work on new property or alterations must now have RCD protection on both lights & Power points.

Installation of a electric wall oven must now have an isolator switch near the oven this can be a single pole switch breaking the Active (Live) conductor only.
I hope im not trying to tell people how to suck eggs, but please just be carefull when reading the new wiring rules.

when you do the exam you must find a number of wiring rules & any sub rules its all part of the game to see if your up to it all, so please read the book and desipher it all, if you go to the PEER site there should be a test paper you can download for practise, i have spoken to the people at PEER they are very decent folk, i have been told if you not to sure of a question you can ask the person on the day & they try to steer you in the right direction, as i say decent people to do that.

If i can be of any help just ask or message wendy on here she is great & has lots on knowlidge regarding the setup at PEER in S/A.

best of luck to you all.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Hughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to all

Hi Pom From Aus

I received my coursework yesterday. I will be travelling to Adelaide at the end of Oct to sit the exam. Do you know if it is a closed book exam?

Cheers

Dave
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Hughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to allHughmorriss is a name known to all

Can anyone post a link to the Test Paper for download please.

Cheers

Dave
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Hughmorriss;

i have been looking for a test paper for you, but im unable to find one now, however i shall email the lady at PEER & see if they have one i can download for you all, in the meantime have a look at there site for the exam this may be of some use or not.

PEER as follows
Course Aim

This course provides the required skills to use and interpret the AS/NZS 3000:2007 Wiring Rules (including typical documents referring to the standard, and rules and conditions of supply authority), in order to apply for your Electrical Workers Registration.
Duration

40 hours (plus out of hours personal study time)
Course Content

* Scope and Fundamental Safety Principles
* Selection and installation of switchgear and controlgear
* Selection and installation of wiring systems
* Installation of appliances and accessories
* Earthing arrangements and earthing conductors
* Testing and verification
* Requirements for special electrical installations or locations

Pre-requisites

* Electrical Workers Registration (Australian Expired)
* Equivalent overseas Electrical licence
* Electrical Industry experience / personnel

Students will need the following:

* Personal copy of Australian Standards; AS-NZS 3000:2007, AS/NZS 3012:2003 & AS-NZS 3008.1.1
* Personal copy of the ETSA Utilities - Service and Installation rules
* An electronic calculator (with square root function)
* Pen/pencil

Structure

Theory and practical components with assessments

Download Course Flyer
Download Enrolment Form
Fill in Enrolment Form Online
CITB Rebate

Note: Participants may be eligible for a rebate through the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB). To receive this rebate you must quote a current membership number on your enrolment form and meet CITB funding criteria.

Please call 08 8348 1200 or click here to register your interest.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Hughmorriss;
i have just emailed PEER with a request for the possible test paper for the wiring rules, all we can now do is see if they play ball with the exam for you all.???

They should be back in touch in the next couple of days
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:43 am
Just Joined

Pom From Aus

Cheers for the help.

Dave
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

When my OH did the course at PEER he was given the answers to the course work - well he was given the regulation and he had to find the relevant part of it to answer the question.

When he did the exam, it was more or less the same thing, only he had to find the answer himself in the regulations - so if you don't know the regs back to front, then at least know how to find the answers

He got all of them right first time, except for one that he only part answered, so the tutor told him to re-do that part before he would mark it.

I know over 50 sparkies that have done this course (from the UK and a few Aussies) and not one of them have failed the exam.

Good luck guys, I'm sure you'll all be just fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.