Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Electricians
Reload this Page >

Electrical License HELP!!! I'm Stressed Out

Electrical License HELP!!! I'm Stressed Out

Old Aug 14th 2010, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Del-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really niceDel-Jo is just really nice
Default Re: Electrical License HELP!!! I'm Stressed Out

Originally Posted by mikey the pikey
g'day steve,

i took your advice and have taken the peer route. have just finished the workbooks and am booked in to do the exam in a couple of weeks. reading back through the posts here, i've read that the exam is multiple choice. is this correct? do you know much about the exam format? as in how long it is and whether the time is tight to get all questions answered. i've heard that you can do the exam in he morning and still have time to get to fair trading to apply for a licence. sorry mate, exams stress me out, and i hate the thoughts of going to adelaide and failing!!!
any help is much appreciated.
cheers mate

mikey
Hi, I sat the PEER test last week, its not multiple choice. on day one you get taken through doing your maximum demand and cable calcs and colouring in of the DB then in the afternoon of day one you start the test and the guy likes you to start with the section on maximum demand since its fresh in your mind then on to the colouring in of the DB (wiring schematic), day 2 you finish the test its all open book and you can even look through your workbook.

the test is broken into 6 sections you have to get 80% on each section apart from the maxium demand and the DB picture he wants 100% for those two.I ended up getting 93% overall and i am not a brain box and i hate exams as well

test isint anything to stress about if you've done the workbook you'll be fine. and if your struggling with anything the teacher will point you in the right direction. once you finish he marks it right away then they give you your cert and you head off in to the city and part with $377 for your licence, pleanty time to get it sorted in the same day,

good luck

Del
Old Oct 4th 2010, 4:25 am
Just Joined

Aussie4Us is an unknown quantity at this point

Confused and hoping someone here might be able to set me straight on the route to a Grade A licence in Qld.

Hubby was assessed (and approved) by TRA for our PR visas, which were granted in 2008 - can you tell me what he needs to do to get his licence in Qld, please.

Many thanks for any info,
Kay
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:12 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aussie4Us
Confused and hoping someone here might be able to set me straight on the route to a Grade A licence in Qld.

Hubby was assessed (and approved) by TRA for our PR visas, which were granted in 2008 - can you tell me what he needs to do to get his licence in Qld, please.

Many thanks for any info,
Kay
first off no "A" grade licence in qld its either electrical mechanic or electrical fitter ( go for the mechanic one )

next when will you be here ?
the reason i ask is that if soon well before dec theres still time to do a south australian licence at peer in adelaide, why go via sa and peer?? , speed
usually work book via correspeondance and 3 days in adeliade doing exam

if you do your licence via a qld tafe ( college ) or rto ( recognised training organisation ) you`ll need to have filled in a log book ( worked under supervsion on a permit to train ( qld elctrical safety offce http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/fair-a...tors/licencing and had your supervisor sign you off as copentent, ) don`t quote me but i`m pretty sure minimum of four months

if you go via a tafe you`ll have to wait for the next course to start usually feb finishing in july/aug

go via an rto ( i can recommend qet in brissie )
http://www.qet.edu.au/ ( speak to chris ) do the course via correspondance it`ll take as long as you take to work through the book but you`ll still need a filled in log book ( ask chris at qet for just how much supervsed work he needs to see )

i think that`ll keep you busy for a while

regards steve
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by steve`o
first off no "A" grade licence in qld its either electrical mechanic or electrical fitter ( go for the mechanic one )

next when will you be here ?
the reason i ask is that if soon well before dec theres still time to do a south australian licence at peer in adelaide, why go via sa and peer?? , speed
usually work book via correspeondance and 3 days in adeliade doing exam

if you do your licence via a qld tafe ( college ) or rto ( recognised training organisation ) you`ll need to have filled in a log book ( worked under supervsion on a permit to train ( qld elctrical safety offce http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/fair-a...tors/licencing and had your supervisor sign you off as copentent, ) don`t quote me but i`m pretty sure minimum of four months

if you go via a tafe you`ll have to wait for the next course to start usually feb finishing in july/aug

go via an rto ( i can recommend qet in brissie )
http://www.qet.edu.au/ ( speak to chris ) do the course via correspondance it`ll take as long as you take to work through the book but you`ll still need a filled in log book ( ask chris at qet for just how much supervsed work he needs to see )

i think that`ll keep you busy for a while

regards steve
Thanks for your reply.

It wont be before December. Are they stopping the PEER route after dec? Will the only route then be TAFE?

Kay
Old Oct 4th 2010, 11:39 pm
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aussie4Us
Thanks for your reply.

It wont be before December. Are they stopping the PEER route after dec? Will the only route then be TAFE?

Kay
The PEER route will still be available. You will just have to pay more and do another course on top. So more hours and cost.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jockstar
The PEER route will still be available. You will just have to pay more and do another course on top. So more hours and cost.
Thanks
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

sonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nice

Originally Posted by wyldeone

My advise about the TRA is if u can't prove you have 7 years experience then don't bother applying
Hi wyldeone, Just in the process of applying, would the 7 years include your apprenticeship? I have proper qualifications and can get a letter from my ex employer stating I have worked there for 7 years and served my apprenticehip? would this be enough, they would hardly want apprenticeship and 7 years experience would they?
Old Nov 24th 2010, 11:58 am
Just Joined

wyldeone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sonic.trip
Hi wyldeone, Just in the process of applying, would the 7 years include your apprenticeship? I have proper qualifications and can get a letter from my ex employer stating I have worked there for 7 years and served my apprenticehip? would this be enough, they would hardly want apprenticeship and 7 years experience would they?
Hi Sonic

From what i remember if you have completed a formal apprenticeship then the experience you have to prove is less than 7 years but am not 100%.
I didn't do apprenticeship hence why i had problems with the TRA.

If you supply them if all the info about your apprenticeship, qualifications, employer info then your on a winning streak, TRA like to be able to simply tick the necessary boxes and if you are unable to tick all the boxes then your in trouble.

I'm assuming you applying from the UK?

If so TRA don't want employer reference they want STATEMENT's stating all the tools, equipment and machinery you have every worked on in your career. I've know quite a few people fail simply because they got reference not statements.

Good Luck anymore question simply ask and i'll help as best as i can
Old Nov 24th 2010, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was a Londoner in Edinburgh... was a Jockney, now in Brisbane....I'm an ocker cockney
derren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud ofderren7 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wyldeone
Hi Sonic

From what i remember if you have completed a formal apprenticeship then the experience you have to prove is less than 7 years but am not 100%.
I didn't do apprenticeship hence why i had problems with the TRA.

If you supply them if all the info about your apprenticeship, qualifications, employer info then your on a winning streak, TRA like to be able to simply tick the necessary boxes and if you are unable to tick all the boxes then your in trouble.

I'm assuming you applying from the UK?

If so TRA don't want employer reference they want STATEMENT's stating all the tools, equipment and machinery you have every worked on in your career. I've know quite a few people fail simply because they got reference not statements.

Good Luck anymore question simply ask and i'll help as best as i can
Hi there,
This is correct. On the TRA section of the DEEWR website it state's "Applicants who have not successfully completed an appropriate formal apprenticeship (or equivalent) must have employed for at least six years (or seven years for electrical trades).
Regards Derren
Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

sonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nicesonic.trip is just really nice

thanks wyldeone and derren7 that clears things up a bit.

@wyldone, I have the application nearly complete and I'm just gathering all the evidenece they want. when you say they want statements not references, how would you get a statement from your employer for tools etc-are they not the same thing? I was just going to get a headed letter stating the dates I worked-would this not be enough?

also how much details do you go into in part 10-work done and tools used? I have half a page done at the moment, so hopefully will fill it all of the page. just a pain trying to think of everything and putting it on paper!

how much detail did all of you go into?

thanks again for the help.

Last edited by sonic.trip; Nov 24th 2010 at 6:24 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

@wyldone, I have the application nearly complete and I'm just gathering all the evidenece they want. when you say they want statements not references, how would you get a statement from your employer for tools etc-are they not the same thing? I was just going to get a headed letter stating the dates I worked-would this not be enough?

also how much details do you go into in part 10-work done and tools used? I have half a page done at the moment, so hopefully will fill it all of the page. just a pain trying to think of everything and putting it on paper!

When we did my OH's we got references from employers that were 2 - 3 pages long. They listed duties that he had, tools he used etc. The one he did for himself was 3 pages long, and we listed tools on a separate sheet of paper.

I am pretty sure Steve o' posted his somewhere on the site if you do a search for this subject. Should give you some idea of what they are looking for.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 7:50 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

word your answer to include the following ( the tra / artc use this as a guide )

What are tradespeople in Australia expected to be capable of?
You must demonstrate that you are capable of doing the same range of work at the same level of skill as a tradesperson trained in Australia.

The work of a tradesperson includes:

reading work instructions and technical drawings common to the trade;
planning independently the method and order of doing a job;
using measuring instruments correctly;
marking out, laying out and setting up trade work;
selecting appropriate materials, tools, machines and equipment;
making appropriate settings on tools, machines and equipment;
performing trade work independently; and
checking and/or testing work against established standards.
You must also demonstrate that you have sufficient theoretical or underpinning knowledge of the trade.

taken straight from the artc website

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Skills/Progr...Pages/faq.aspx

ive added my answer to occuapational skills, apprentice experiance and one of my references

hope they help

regards steve
Old Nov 24th 2010, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

thanks wendy for your input and steve o-a big thanks to you mate

I just read your document there and mine is pretty similar in relation to cables and work etc in what I have written myseflf. You know when you miss things, unsure of what to enter etc, this will be a BIG help in writing mine. The other documents will be a great help as well.

thanks again for all the help and replies

Last edited by sonic.trip; Nov 24th 2010 at 9:29 pm.