Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Moving back to Cyprus - crazy or not?

Moving back to Cyprus - crazy or not?

Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

IrishGuyAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to Cyprus - crazy or not?

Hi all.

I worked in Cyprus for a few months in 2012, but due to family circumstances had to leave after 3 months. I always regretted having to leave, and always thought I'd like to go back out at some point. I saw a job recently at my old company (but a better position than I was in first time round) and applied. I have had some correspondence with the employer and have been asked what my salary expectations would be.

If my application were to be successful, I would be moving out (close to Paphos) with my partner and daughter who will be a year old soon. We are currently living in Scotland. So I was just wondering if anyone can give me any advice, with regard to wages etc. I'm not really sure what is seen as a decent wage, or what we would need to survive each month out there. My partner would be willing to work, at least part time - but how hard are jobs to get out there at the minute?

We do realise that we are lucky here to have NHS etc where services are pretty good, but how expensive is this stuff out there. Basically I am just trying to research the finances of it. We've all seen the news reports on how bad the economy is, so is it a stupid idea to leave Britain for Cyprus or is it workable? Basically I am just trying to do some research and see if moving back out is feasible, or if it is an idea doomed from the start!

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Old Sep 28th 2013, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

Prometheus1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to Cyprus - crazy or not?

If you are thinking of moving back to Cyprus, you need to make sure you have a long-term job, with a decent salary, otherwise do not bother.

If you go to Cyprus looking for a job, it's almost impossible to find one right now.

Also, life can be quite expensive there too. If you add the costs of renting, living, schooling, etc, unless you get a quite good salary, you will most likely find yourself in the red fairly soon.

However, if you decide to go, even if the worst comes to the worst, at least you would have had a few months in an amazing place. You lived there, and you know how beautiful the place is.

I hope this helps.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 10:50 pm
BE Currency Exchange Vendor

Scott_K_88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey IrishGuy,

I can see why you'd have concerns over a move to Cyrpus, but it isn't something that is entirely out of the question. I've been to Paphos before and it's quite a nice area.

From someone who works in the financial industry, my advice to you would be to rent somewhere for a few months and 'dip your toe in the water' as it were, before you move all your assets out there. Reason being, as I'm sure you're aware, the Cypriot government is restricting money flow out of Cyprus at the moment. Wouldn't be good if you moved all your assets out there only to have them stuck there!

The one benefit you do have at the moment is that the Euro exchange rate has been at its highest level for about 7 months. I'm not sure if this would affect you because you're Irish (and a native Euro user), but you did say you lived in Scotland. If you need any advice regarding that side of things, feel free to drop me a line; I work in the industry.

All the best, mate.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

zygiman will become famous soon enough

These questions are quite hard to answer, as everybody has their own standards of living and what they say they will give up to make ends meet.
The only people making a go of it moving to Cyprus at the moment, are those retiring here, or those that have jobs lined up. There are also those that move out, not of retirement age, but have the money to do whatever they wish to.
Just make sure you have an exit plan, and the funds to leave if things do not work out for you.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:28 am
Just Joined

Canyon is an unknown quantity at this point

Rent first, it is a renters market, haggle over the price.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Cleo-Shahateet is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering if you took the job and moved back to Paphos? Let us know what happened. I think now would be the time to try it since your daughter is young. Once she is in school and if you have more children things become more complicated and expensive! As long as you secure a job and have some money to fall back on it seems like it could work for you.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cleo-Shahateet
Just wondering if you took the job and moved back to Paphos? Let us know what happened. I think now would be the time to try it since your daughter is young. Once she is in school and if you have more children things become more complicated and expensive! As long as you secure a job and have some money to fall back on it seems like it could work for you.
Hi there,

As it happened, I never made the move back out. I was all set for the move having been pretty much told the job was mine. Then I heard through the grapevine the job had been filled by someone else. And eventually four weeks later, they guy emailed to say I had been unsuccessful. So it left a bitter taste, and I didn't check in here much afterwards, as it always reminded me of what could have been!

Still looking at options to get out of the UK again, and hopefully will make the move abroad somewhere warm again at some point - Cyprus or otherwise
Old Feb 22nd 2014, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Prometheus1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IrishGuyAbroad
Hi there,

As it happened, I never made the move back out. I was all set for the move having been pretty much told the job was mine. Then I heard through the grapevine the job had been filled by someone else. And eventually four weeks later, they guy emailed to say I had been unsuccessful. So it left a bitter taste, and I didn't check in here much afterwards, as it always reminded me of what could have been!

Still looking at options to get out of the UK again, and hopefully will make the move abroad somewhere warm again at some point - Cyprus or otherwise
That was really bad.

Anyway, try to not think about it and better luck next time.
Old Feb 23rd 2014, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Cleo-Shahateet is an unknown quantity at this point

That's too bad! Sorry to hear that. Hopefully something else will come up and the next person will be more professional!
Old Mar 6th 2014, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

AC23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Moving back to Cyprus - crazy or not?

Originally Posted by IrishGuyAbroad
Hi all.

I worked in Cyprus for a few months in 2012, but due to family circumstances had to leave after 3 months. I always regretted having to leave, and always thought I'd like to go back out at some point. I saw a job recently at my old company (but a better position than I was in first time round) and applied. I have had some correspondence with the employer and have been asked what my salary expectations would be.

If my application were to be successful, I would be moving out (close to Paphos) with my partner and daughter who will be a year old soon. We are currently living in Scotland. So I was just wondering if anyone can give me any advice, with regard to wages etc. I'm not really sure what is seen as a decent wage, or what we would need to survive each month out there. My partner would be willing to work, at least part time - but how hard are jobs to get out there at the minute?

We do realise that we are lucky here to have NHS etc where services are pretty good, but how expensive is this stuff out there. Basically I am just trying to research the finances of it. We've all seen the news reports on how bad the economy is, so is it a stupid idea to leave Britain for Cyprus or is it workable? Basically I am just trying to do some research and see if moving back out is feasible, or if it is an idea doomed from the start!

Any advice is greatly appreciated
Hello. Well all I can advise is trust your instincts and you do have more insight than most having already worked for the firm previously. That should also help you to be informed as to how stable they are and in turn how much they value you..

You could always throw the ball back and ask them to reveal what they are prepared to pay as they will have a limit regardless of what you would want.. or you could say make me an offer I can't refuse...

I in turn could do with some help to off load some property in Cy so you never know your luck in a raffle... Good Luck either way...
Old Mar 6th 2014, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

AC23 is an unknown quantity at this point

One small aka tiny thought what is wrong with Fife?
Old Mar 6th 2014, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AC23
One small aka tiny thought what is wrong with Fife?
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I ended up not moving out (for reasons explained above!!), which was unfortunate but thats life. Nothing wrong with Fife at all really, just the weather! Also, this job would have been a step up career wise, and myself and my partner both fancy a change and to experience life abroad!
Old Mar 8th 2014, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Die Hard is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry Sue but three days waiting for moderation was bit long ?