Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Cyprus
Reload this Page >

Brit living in California, retiring to Cyprus

Brit living in California, retiring to Cyprus

Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brit living in California, retiring to Cyprus

Originally Posted by DerekM
Sorry Veronica, my understanding is that this ruling is final and there is no appeal against it?
Nope not the case. If they are not happy with the ruling from the IPC they can appeal in the European court.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:50 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Veronica-K
Nope not the case. If they are not happy with the ruling from the IPC they can appeal in the European court.
Turkish (non eu) rulings can be appealed in the EU court?
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Veronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond reputeVeronica-K has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Turkish (non eu) rulings can be appealed in the EU court?
Well my understanidng is that any rulings by the IPC can be appealled and in fact some Greek Cypriots are refusing even to go to the IPC and still going the old route. They do not trust the Turkish government and who can blame them as it is this illegal government who have allowed their homes and land to be sold in the first place, even down to issuing illegal title deeds.

Last edited by Veronica-K; Apr 5th 2010 at 11:57 am.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:57 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep
But what difference does it make in law, because the Turkish Government isn't subject to EU rulings ..... well, yet anyway! Its unlikely to ever be either because of the Cyprus situation.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
But what difference does it make in law, because the Turkish Government isn't subject to EU rulings ..... well, yet anyway! Its unlikely to ever be either because of the Cyprus situation.
The difference is that if the owners have property in any other EU country the rightful owner of then land can claim agaisnt that property by going through the Euorpean courts. If the owners do not have property in other EU countries then I suppose it dosnt make any difference. To be honest the whole flippin thing is still a mess.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 12:37 pm
Senior Moment

The difference is that if the owners have property in any other EU country the rightful owner of then land can claim agaisnt that property by going through the Euorpean courts. If the owners do not have property in other EU countries then I suppose it dosnt make any difference. To be honest the whole flippin thing is still a mess.
I guess it is. The problem is that Northern Cyprus is not \EU, and I cant see it becoming so. If it ever does and the borders open up, what the hell will happen? Who will claim the houses that Northern Cypriots are now living in, how will it ever be sorted out!
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

The rightful owners ar entitled to compensation even if the problems are not resolved and the borders opened. Turkey wants to join Europe but unless they reach some sort of agreement regarding property in the North there is little chance of that happening. Another issue regarding Turkey joining europe is that they have to remove all their troops and illegal turkish immigrants and I cant see that ever happening either.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

8thornbury is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by totorama
Hi. Folks,

My wife and I are considering retiring in the near future to Cyprus after reading many positive reviews. We are both British citizens and have lived in California for the last 10 years but feel we can't return to the cold British climate.

We obviously have a lot of research to do before hand and to start off we will be visiting the island in April. My big concern is calculating funds needed for retirement.

Can anyone give me a 'ball-park' figure as to what the basic cost of living for one year would be assuming we have no mortgage to pay. (i.e we pay cash for a property).
Malibu was my favourite place, until I found Paphos. The north of the island is a no-no. Take the warnings from the UK government website.
The thing to watch here is that the property has its title deeds issued, otherwise you may experience problems. As for cost, if you can afford California, this is cheap. The roads are not so good, but the food is.
Good luck,
DF
Old Apr 13th 2010, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

To say the roads are not so good is a bit of an understatement at the moment especially in Paphos.
While the work on the sewerage system is ongoing the roads are constantly being dug up and badly patched with huge potholes left all over the place.
Our car has already had an alloy wheel buckled and the shock absorbers are shot. Once the sewerage system is all in place hopefully the roads will be repaired but until then paphos is not car friendly at all
Old Apr 14th 2010, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of7immyboy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by totorama
Hi. Folks,

My wife and I are considering retiring in the near future to Cyprus after reading many positive reviews. We are both British citizens and have lived in California for the last 10 years but feel we can't return to the cold British climate.

We obviously have a lot of research to do before hand and to start off we will be visiting the island in April. My big concern is calculating funds needed for retirement.

Can anyone give me a 'ball-park' figure as to what the basic cost of living for one year would be assuming we have no mortgage to pay. (i.e we pay cash for a property).
----------------------------------------

Just curious but why would you move from Calafornia to Cyprus?

Actually its none of my business but I am baffled!
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Old_Mike is an unknown quantity at this point

All I can say is, on a lighter note, that I had a great time at the British Sovereign Base's in Akrotiri and Dhekelia, where the beer would flow like water and the sun burns down every day. So I look back with a smile on my face and a tear in my eyes for all those lost years..

Great place, Go for it.................

Mike

Last edited by Old_Mike; Apr 23rd 2010 at 10:26 am.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:30 am
Just Joined

totorama is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 7immyboy
----------------------------------------

Just curious but why would you move from Calafornia to Cyprus?

Actually its none of my business but I am baffled!
Living in California is OK if you have big fat paycheck coming in every month, but it's an expensive place to live on a pension and health care costs a fortune. However, I would miss the sun and Cyprus has that